Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link DVG-N5402S​P orginal firmware

SOLVED
Trusted Contributor

D-Link DVG-N5402S​P orginal firmware

Hi Starthub,

The objective of this D-link DVG-N5402SP was i am trying to use the USB port to convert the USB printer to a wirless printer by plugging the USB printer to the D-link router USB port.

Based on my understanding, the USB port have 2 functions whereby it should have a drag box that allow me to chose share port or USB Dongle .

Share Port : USB Files Server behavirous

USB Dongle : Plug a USB dongle GSM for backup internet link.

As I believed this model had been custimze with the firmware of starhub, i need to confirmed does this router got this setting if no , how to distable and get the orginal firmware for this router instead of the starhub firmware.

I had contact D-link already . Case ID had been open.

Any way to go about it.

1 . Disable and revert to orginal firmware from Dlink

2. Starhub firmware can do it without any changes of firmare for the USB Funcations?

All remark/posts are unofficial and may personal opinions which does not represent the positions and opinions of anyone directly or indirectly.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: D-Link DVG-N5402S?P orginal firmware

Hi Starhub, As advise ,whereby IDA do not allow Telcos to "LOCK" the phones. I guess even I had to proof the case whereby D Link firmware was using customize StarHub firmware it will not answer to the questions . The position was clear whereby Stathub is unable to provide the support. I shall refer to D Link to address the questions on the firmware to obtain the original firmware of this model and reset if there any need to D link original firmware . With regard on the USB features , this part would be left to D link to support as they are in a better position to address this part . Solution advise from Starhub had not address the questions . Case closed from here
All remark/posts are unofficial and may personal opinions which does not represent the positions and opinions of anyone directly or indirectly.
7 REPLIES 7
Veteran

Re: D-Link DVG-N5402S​P orginal firmware

I believe the USB Share Port option is only found in the B1 version of the DVG-N5402SP (the one with the 2 antenna connectors at the side).  The Starhub provided one is version A1 and has the 2 unremovable antennas at the back.  I don't know if Starhub ever issued subscribers the B1 version.  At least I've never seen B1 version for sale in the local used market.

I don't think you can flash non-Starhub firmware onto the Starhub version.  Most people who are not satisfied with the N5402SP either because of performance or features will use their own router.

Grand Guru

By changing the printer connection to be wireless, i dont think it can work.

(I am not an expert on this subject, i based on Logic sense.)

The USB printer is not Wireless printer, by connecting to the router, if that is what you stated.

There are many Printer WITH Wireless connection, beside USB.

Take note that not those connector available is usable.

Just check my printer, it do have a ethernet port, but it is block by cover.

The manual did indicate that my model do have ethernet port but not available to use.

For more info, pls read my next post, which is about the subject title, firmware.

There may have a way.

In the manual, my laptop can be set as wireless hotspot.

In my logic sense, this may work.

That is that the laptop is consider a wireless hub.

With the printer connect to laptop, as the laptop can recongnise the printer driver.

Grand Guru

For Routers, Telcos are not allowed to add their firmware, provided that there are instruction on how to reset the firmware back to the orignal state.

This is different from ONT which Starhub may hardcoded the firmware, as this device is on loan from Starhub.

This is what i believe as similar to smartphone where IDA do not allow Telcos to "LOCK" the phones.

We owned the Router & phones.

As for using 2 or more USB ports.

There may have some conflict is that 2 USB ports are using at the same time (Connected).

This is not like adding HDDs, other devices connect to the computer.

As because Router is not a Computer that can recongnise in the same way as Computer itself.

Further more, if any problem with Router, Telcos do not provide tech support.

Example;  Troubleshooting internet connect, Telco will accept wired, but will hands off on wireless issues.

Example:

If the Computer is connect with Ethernet cable, and the wireless is turn On, there may have conflict on which device the Computer OS suppose to use.

This is my understand after reading too many articles on USB related & others type of issues.

As my understanding of IT had become obsolute, and have to read to update my knowledge.

Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Starhub, As advise ,whereby IDA do not allow Telcos to "LOCK" the phones. I guess even I had to proof the case whereby D Link firmware was using customize StarHub firmware it will not answer to the questions . The position was clear whereby Stathub is unable to provide the support. I shall refer to D Link to address the questions on the firmware to obtain the original firmware of this model and reset if there any need to D link original firmware . With regard on the USB features , this part would be left to D link to support as they are in a better position to address this part . Solution advise from Starhub had not address the questions . Case closed from here
Trusted Contributor

Hi Eric , Based on D Link PDF , assuming if original Firmware the USB port can be use into 2 way . 1. USB Dongle whereby if u plug the USB Dongle it will act as a fall back ISP whereby it will act as a dial up . 2. USB port will work like a file server if u plug in a USB thumb drives . For more detail , you can refer to D link Manual provided if that was the original firmware . D Link tech support had also confirmed the above 2 statement was correctly presented in this cases . For your info .
Trusted Contributor

Hi Yeah , you know your stuff . I will work with D Link tech support on this issue as usually IDA does not allow ISP to lock their devices . Mostly if the firmware fail , I had to try this http://www.lantronix.com/products-class/mobile-print-servers/ It will convert all USB / Ethernet Printer to wireless Air Print and Google Print technology . Sent by Push Technology Exchange from Iphone At your service, Thomas Cheong Note : Please attach or include the original email thread instead of generating a new email as it will help to keep track of the entire email conversation .
Grand Guru

Hi  Wizardpro

Thanks very much for that sort of info.

Interesting.