cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link DIR-865L

Respected Contributor

Re: D-Link DIR-865L

@KaiBoon,

I'm using the Cisco DPC3925 provided by StarHub. It's quite OK.. I don't do much serious work in the toilet anyway, just the necessities. I can survive a few minutes without WIFI.. I still have LTE.
Esteemed Advocate

Hi Varun,

At close range, 11n at 5GHz can get around 70-80Mbps and at 2.4GHz can get around 30-35Mbps. All within expectation. Cheers!

Respected Advisor

I am on a 150Mbps fibre broadband plan.
Before using D-Link DIR-865L. My connections are like this: TP>ONT>Asus RT-N56U (Direct ONT).
These equipments are all placed at the Living room next to my TV.

All home users are on wireless network.
Asus RT-N56U's signal and speed have been proven and considered very Good!

After changing to D-link DIR865L for one day of usage, these are my findings:
1) In terms of wireless speed, both D-link and Asus are equally responsive in short distance within 5m.
2) If surfing my laptop inside a Bedroom which is sightly more than 5m away from D-link router, I can tell Asus is better in term of speed on 2.4GHz. But on 5GHz, D-link is better!
3) Strange Reading found on "Wireless Network Status". My Asus router's speed reading used to be 2XX to 300mbps, whereas D-Link's reading is now 72 to 1XXmbps. Do anyone has the same experience?

Home Networking Expert

speedtest result with iPhone 4S (single stream 2.4Ghz only), with iPad (5Ghz) best case was about 45Mbps (very typical of a single stream device):

At close range (3~5m) without any obstruction:

IMG_2990.PNG

At 2 furthest point in the house, approx 13-15m & 1~2 walls:

IMG_2986.PNG

IMG_2988.PNG

Home Networking Expert

@Tomaz wrote:

3) Strange Reading found on "Wireless Network Status". My Asus router's speed reading used to be 2XX to 300mbps, whereas D-Link's reading is now 72 to 1XXmbps. Do anyone has the same experience?

Using INSSIDER, the AC router on "11n" 2.4Ghz only advertise 216Mb (2XX for sure), but on 5Ghz it will advertise 450Mb. My older linksys router advertise 270Mb on 2.4Ghz, while the 5402 advertise 300Mb on 2.4Ghz

Android™ Expert

Are you achieving the 72-1xxmbps on 2.4GHz? This is because you are connecting over 20MHz bandwidth. There is a way to force 40MHz, which I don't know if I should share here. Howard, advises? Smiley Happy

I'm on 100mbps plan, test is done 1 room away.

Using my note 2, on 2.4GHz with 40MHz bandwidth.

Screenshot_2013-08-24-22-53-19.png

Using note 2, with 5GHz

Screenshot_2013-08-24-22-52-50.png

anyone manage to put the 865L into bridge mode (under Setup > Internet settings) with wifi ap working?

With bridge mode on all routing features were disable except WIFI, but i can't seem to activate it, after putting all the settings, the status page remains inactive???!!!

Ooooooor does the "bridge mode" means we use the WIFI AP to connect to our LAN?!?!dir875l-bridge.jpg

Hub Master

Hi kon_sg

You want to put DIR865 into bridge mode and connect another router to it?
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Esteemed Advocate

Re: (Wireless) Bridge Mode - page 43-45 of the User Manual has details!

Under this mode, 865L becomes a wireless client/bridge. Devices are connected to the LAN ports. WAN/Internet port will not function.