cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link DIR-865L

Hub Master

D-Link DIR-865L

Hi all

You can start your discussion on D-Link DIR-865L here.

Share your experience with the router as well as tips on the settings.

========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
471 REPLIES 471
Home Networking Expert

Re: D-Link DIR-865L

Using it as LAN-LAN bridge (DHCP off).

Same SSID for both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz, I have another wifi ap also using exact same SSID for both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz.

1.) Seamless roaming (AP switch) without any disconnection. DLINK5402 RG cannot achieve this no matter how i try. With the 5402, AP switch happen, but internet get disconnected only LAN accessible.

Dislike

1.) No MAC ID filtering for WIFI client only. The Network Control feature (Mac filtering) also filter LAN port, which is pointless since devices connected through LAN port still get internet/LAN connection, but cannot access DIR-865L admin page. Lack comment field to identify each mac id (who can remember? lol!), which surprisingly the 5402 have!

Haven't really try the WIFI range yet since I still need time to move it to it's "final resting place", maybe both WIFI AP are too close to each other now (about one bedroom apart with 1 wall only), I'm actually getting worst connection on my existing laptop with 3 stream N (450Mbps)... suspecting the signal are interfering each other, so I want to try to place them further apart.

RKK
Esteemed Contributor

Great. If someone finds or has found the solution to NAT Loopback on the 865L router, please let me know. Thanks
Honored Contributor

I can confirm that the signal strength of 5GHz band is worst than that of 2.4GHz. Using the bundled DWA-182 adaptor, the former only achieved ~50% compared to ~70% for the latter in my master bedroom which is separated by the router by 2 walls.

It is known that the higher the frequency of a wireless signal, the shorter its range. Also, the higher frequency wireless signals of 5GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects nearly as well as 2.4GHz signals, limiting the reach to my bedroom.

Home Networking Expert

Detailed specs of the router?

http://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-865L

CPU1: Broadcom BCM4706
FLA1: 16 MB (Macronix MX25L12845EMI-10G)
RAM1: 256 MB (Micron MT47H64M16HR-25E:H x 2)

WI1 module: Alpha Networks WMC-AC01
WI1 module IF: Mini PCIe (oversized)
WI1 chip1: Broadcom BCM4360
WI1 802dot11 protocols: ac+an
WI1 MIMO status: 3x3:3
WI1 antenna connector: U.FL
WI2 chip1: Broadcom BCM4331
WI2 802dot11 protocols: bgn
WI2 MIMO status: 3x3:3
WI2 antenna connector: U.FL

ETH chip1: Broadcom BCM4706
Switch: Broadcom BCM53125

Hub Expert

Impeller: this is consistent with my findings across all routers I've tried (Apple Extreme AC, Netgear R6300, Asus 56, and D-Link 865 / 868). In general, 5 GHz works much faster in the same room as well as one room away. Beyond one room, 2.4 GHz works better. As you've rightly pointed out, 5 GHz can't get through walls too well.

My posts represent ONLY my own opinions.
Esteemed Advisor

I second what Varun has said. Even with ASUS RT-AC66U, the 5 GHz don't penetrate as well as 2.4 GHz when the device is not within the same room as 5 GHz. 

That said, only 5 GHz is able to offer a wireless speed that match the Fibre subscription that I have, i.e. I  am on 150 Mbps and I am able to enjoy wireless speed of 150++  Mbps when my laptop is within the same room of the router but drops to 80++ Mbps when I am in the room. On 2.4 GHz, I will never experience such high wireless speed.

Respected Commentator

Hi guys,

Just collected the router and adapter from Howard this afternoon. Here are my initial findings:

The following results were achieved in my room where the adapter and router were separated by a concrete wall. I am on the 150MBPS plan.

On 2.4GHZ

2.4GHZ

On 5GHZ

5GHZ

Wireless Range Comparison:

1. Asus AC66U (Best)

2. Asus N56U

3. Dlink 865L / N5402 (Worst)

Using the Asus AC66U, i was able to get about 20mbps on 2.4GHZ in the toilet at the furthest end of my house.

With the N56U, i could get about 2mbps.

With the Dlink865L and N5402, I was only able to get about 1mbps.

That said, the wireless range is definitely sufficient for most of the areas.

Compared to N5402

No matter how you look at it, this router is definitely much better than the N5402 especially in terms of wireless speed. Using the N5402, the maximium wireless speed is about 60mbps on 2.4GHZ. On the 865L, wireless speed is easily 100mbps on the same 2.4GHZ band.

Dlink N5402 (2.4ghz)Dlink 865L (2.4ghz)Dlink 865L (5ghz)
Download (mbps)65.05104.06155.65
Upload (mbps)52.5372.92103.43
Ping (ms)5ms5ms5ms

Pros:

1. Very impressive 2.4GHZ results

2. Setup is quite straight forward

3. Definitely a much needed upgrade from the N5402 in terms of wireless speed

Cons:

1. Shareport Utility is not quite working

2. Wireless range is sufficient but nothing to shout about

Hub Expert

That's a detailed analysis, zhlau, thank you.
My posts represent ONLY my own opinions.
Home Networking Expert

@kon_sg wrote:

Using it as LAN-LAN bridge (DHCP off).

1.) Seamless roaming (AP switch) without any disconnection. DLINK5402 RG cannot achieve this no matter how i try. With the 5402, AP switch happen, but internet get disconnected only LAN accessible.

Relocated 865L to sit right next to 5402. If i don't connect my 2nd wifi AP to the 865L directly, wifi roaming break again. I think I can conclude for sure 5402 firmware doesn't allow seamless roaming. I've tried:

5402 port 1: 865L

5402 port 2: wifi AP

Roaming fail

5402 port 2: wifi AP

Roam with 5402 built in wifi AP also fail

I think i can conclusively say 5402 fail to route/switch properly. I cannot say for sure problem happen to normal computer (laptops) since I tested mainly with mobile phone & tablets since these are the only one that my family uses while walking around the house