Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple - Time Capsule

SOLVED
Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Apple - Time Capsule

Can I replace the Huawei HG256s with Apple's Time Capsule to access fibre broadband?

If I can, how do I go about replacing it?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Home Networking Expert
Solution

Re: Apple - Time Capsule

Hi,

Sorry I guess I am not fully updated. Starhub now allows connection of your own router to ONT (At the beginning I remember you have to use the HG). So yes you can use time capsule instead of the Home Gateway. But you won't be able to use voice service on time capsule. You need to call the CS to request for direct ONT.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Home Networking Expert

You cannot replace the home gateway for starhub. You can only connect it to your HG. Your StarHub max infinity service is linked to your HG MAC address and serial number. Time capsule don't have voice capability also.
Highlighted
Home Networking Expert
Solution

Hi,

Sorry I guess I am not fully updated. Starhub now allows connection of your own router to ONT (At the beginning I remember you have to use the HG). So yes you can use time capsule instead of the Home Gateway. But you won't be able to use voice service on time capsule. You need to call the CS to request for direct ONT.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Administrator

Thanks for helping, rsn!

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Home Networking Expert

Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Valued Commentator

Hi,

I have another TimeCapsule question:  I currently have the 'standard' setup:

- EchoLife HG8040 GPON Terminal

- D-Link DVG-N5402SP VoIP Router

I would like to use Apple TimeCapsule instead of the D-Link Router, i.e., the Apple TimeCapsule would connect to the GPON Terminal (Note: I do not need a direct ONT connection, I am happy to go via the GPON Terminal).  I could not get this configured correctly.  TimeCapsule is able to create a wireless network correctly, but cannot connect to the Internet via the GPON Terminal.  

Can somebody walk me through configuration? (physical and TimeCapsule?)

Highlighted
Home Networking Expert

You cannot do away with the D-Link unless you subscribe for direct ONT. Other option you have is to use time capsule as a WiFi AP connectted to D-Link.

Highlighted
Valued Commentator

ok, thanks, so how do I subscribe to direct ONT?  Just call Starhub?

If I subscribe to direct ONT, I cannot use the Starhub phone line anymore, is that correct?  

Highlighted
Home Networking Expert

Direct ONT need to call Starhub or PM your details to CSO. But after that you won't be able to use the D-Link which means you cannot use Digital voice. If you want to use phone then use D-Link and bridge the Apple to D-Link.

Highlighted
Hub Expert

I suggest plugging in the Time Capsule into the 5402, running wifi off the Time Capsule, and disabling wifi on the 5402. Simpler and quicker, keeps your voice running on the RG, no need to call StarHub and wait for Direct ONT provisioning. All it takes is an additional power point. These are not high current devices so the additional cost should be trivial.

My posts represent ONLY my own opinions.