cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing Media Server at home from outside

Honored Commentator

Accessing Media Server at home from outside

My config:

Dlink DIR-868L router in standrard configuration for 1G plan.

All services from INSIDE the house to the internet working properly.

BUT

I cannot access my Media server (Synology 1515+) running Plex Media Server application from outside.

I do know what my public address is and that has been NATed to the device properly thru port 32400.

On looking at Plex support forums one of the issues could "double NATing" which can only be fixed by the ISP. This is also confirmed by a test that shows that the actual public address visible to me is different from what is being presented to the applications. My public IP is 39.x.x.x while that beiong presented to the apps is 18.x.x.x.

When I call Starhub, their "technical gatekeepers" keep reading off a predefined script and telling me that my internet is working properly. I already know that.

In frustration I am now posting to this forum, to see if I can get access to the actual Starhub technical team to work towards a resolution.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Respected Advocate

Re: Accessing Media Server at home from outside

Double NAT occured when your modem and router both have NAT enabled thus causing you to have no access from outside.

perhaps you can try this below method and see if it works.

Possible Solutions:

1. Setup PPPoE connection between the wireless router and modem

This is the most robust solution, unfortunately not all ISPs provide enough information for this to be setup easily

PPPoE can be usually setup in the wireless router's WAN settings. There are usually multiple options to configure the WAN connection of wireless router, amongst which are DHCP and PPPoE. DHCP is no good here, as it results in private IP address assigned to the WiFi router. PPPoE is better, because it bypasses the NAT in the modem, however it might need login and password information which the ISP might not provide.

2. Put the wireless router in bridged mode

Bridged mode on wireless router means that NAT and DHCP functions on it will be disabled. Some router call it bridged mode, some simply allow you to disable NAT and DHCP. Unfortunately some WiFi routers simply don't support bridged mode at all.

If you manage to switch router to bridged mode, all port forwarding needs to be configured on the modem (either automatically if it supports NAT-PMP, or manually).

3. Put the wireless router in modem's DMZ

DMZ (demilitarized zone) is a common feature of router that allow to chose one client to which all traffic is forwarded. If your modem supports DMZ, this might be solution for you:

1. Find out the WAN address of wireless router. For this you might need to log in to the WiFi router admin interface and look at the Status page (most router's have status pages which show relevant information about the WAN connection).

2. Log in to the modem web administration interface, find the DMZ settings and put the WiFi router's IP WAN address there.

“Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more.”
—Agatha Christie
Honored Commentator

Thanks SuperDog, but none of these solutions will work for me as I depend upon the router for DHCP, Port forwarding and NAT. 

In addition, I do not know how to access the ONT (modem) to turn off any NAT there.

Is there anything in Starhub's configuration that is displaying a different public IP address?

Regards.

Veteran

There is no NAT in the Nucleus Connect ONT.

Valued Commentator

Will I be able to set the Starhub Gateway to Bridging Mode for the Fibre Broadband?

My current Cable Broadband Starhub Gateway is in Bridging Mode.

If my WAN IP is NATed, I will not be able to host my service anymore.

Golden question is;

Will I be able to get un-NATed WAN IP on my CE Router for Fibre Broadband setup?

# NAT # Private WAN IP #

Drawing1.png

Veteran

@KenvilDon't quite understand what you mean by an "un-NATed WAN IP".

For fibre broadband, the WAN IP you get is a public IP that can be seen on the internet.

I believe cable broadband is the same (at least it was the case when I used it a few years ago).

By CE gateway do you mean the Starhub provided router?   It is just an off the shelf router.

You can even put it aside and use your own router if you wish.

BTW, are you by any chance using the Cisco DPC3925?  Some people bridge that but for fibre there is no such device provided or needed.

Valued Commentator

In my current setup (Cable Broadband), I have configured the Starhub Gateway / Modem to Bridge Mode

Quoted from my last post: My current Cable Broadband Starhub Gateway is in Bridging Mode.

@Ah-Pin-Kor So you mean, the Nuclus Connect device provided by Starhub (which looks like a Media Converter which convert fibre to cat6) is a Gateway/Modem and it can be on bridging mode similar to the Cable Modem?

So to say, I can plug in my own Cisco 890 Series Router or a Netgear UTM 150 directly to the Nuclus Connect device?

My WAN IP is Public? Example. 203.x.x.x 202.x.x.x 118.x.x.x

My friend is on Singtel Fibre and his WAN IP is private IP

Veteran

@Kenvil wrote:

In my current setup (Cable Broadband), I have configured the Starhub Gateway / Modem to Bridge Mode

Quoted from my last post: My current Cable Broadband Starhub Gateway is in Bridging Mode.

@Ah-Pin-Kor So you mean, the Nuclus Connect device provided by Starhub (which looks like a Media Converter which convert fibre to cat6) is a Gateway/Modem and it can be on bridging mode similar to the Cable Modem?

So to say, I can plug in my own Cisco 890 Series Router or a Netgear UTM 150 directly to the Nuclus Connect device?

My WAN IP is Public? Example. 203.x.x.x 202.x.x.x 118.x.x.x

My friend is on Singtel Fibre and his WAN IP is private IP

The Nucleus Connect ONT is not a router. It cannot and doesn't need to be bridged. You can connect your Cisco 890 or even your PC directly to the ONT.  You can think of the Nucleus Connect ONT as one of those old time Motorola cable modems (just cable modem function, not all-in-one with built-in router).

You didn't mention if you use the DPC but I'm sure it's one of those AIO cable modems with router function built-in that's why you can bridge it.

Yes, WAN IP is public IP like 58.x.x.x or other range.  It is not static though.

Not sure about Singtel.