cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1G fiber broadband speed less than 100mbps ? with Linksys EA8100 AC2600 router

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

1G fiber broadband speed less than 100mbps ? with Linksys EA8100 AC2600 router

Just renewed my 1G fiber broadband contract, with a new router Linksys EA8100 installed, I thought with the new router I could get higer network speed.

I was very disappointed after testing:

Just wonder if I should do some setup for the new router to improve my network speed.

From browsing this forum I understnad for local connection at least I should get >500mbps when close to the router. 

Thanks

Everyone's Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager

Re: 1G fiber broadband speed less than 100mbps ? with Linksys EA8100 AC2600 router

Hi David

For WiFi speeds, the EA8100 supports the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. For the 5GHz, it is faster, but the distance supported is shorter, compared to the 2.4GHz.

For best speeds, please use a wired connection for testing. If you would like to have us to review the WiFi set up, you can refer to http://www.starhub.com/personal/for-your-home/home-broadband/value-added-services/wifi-assessment.ht...

Hope this helps.

- Jackson
Senior Contributor

Re: 1G fiber broadband speed less than 100mbps ? with Linksys EA8100 AC2600 router

@JacksonTZG wrote:

Hi David

For WiFi speeds, the EA8100 supports the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. For the 5GHz, it is faster, but the distance supported is shorter, compared to the 2.4GHz.

For best speeds, please use a wired connection for testing. If you would like to have us to review the WiFi set up, you can refer to http://www.starhub.com/personal/for-your-home/home-broadband/value-added-services/wifi-assessment.ht...

Hope this helps.

- Jackson

Hi, Jackson

Thanks for your reply,  will take a look at the wifi-assessment service, but I would like to know if

you consider if this is you consider that the following is considered as NORMAL or not?

• iPhone located a few meters away from  the router, DL/UL speeds were around 70/80mbps,

Best regards

Grand Guru

@David44 wrote:

Hi, Jackson

Thanks for your reply,  will take a look at the wifi-assessment service, but I would like to know if

you consider if this is you consider that the following is considered as NORMAL or not?

• iPhone located a few meters away from  the router, DL/UL speeds were around 70/80mbps,

Best regards

Hi,

There is most likely the iPhone is connected on 2.4GHz bandwidth.

This router do have some unique feature as in Dynamic Frequency Selection.

Do read & understand > FAQs on Dynamic Frequency Selection 

This may the main causes for having low speed &or intermittent connection.

If possible do a direct wired connection for to run speedtest between the router and computer, to ensure it is not the router issue.

i am not starhub staff.

Community Manager

Hi David44

Thank you for the clarification. Please drop me a PM with your registered name, registered mobile number, Hub ID/email address and service address (including postal code and unit numbers) by clicking the words bracketed by the arrows here > via Private Message <  for me to assist you better. 

In the meanwhile, you can switch to 2.4 GHz connection instead to see if your connection improves or drops. Do also let me know if you're experiencing any issue surfing / using the net. Thank you.

- Jackson