StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed on new Linksys EA7500

Esteemed Commentator

Re: Slow speed on new Linksys EA7500

Actually you still can use whatever SH provide. It's because I need blazing fast speed for my kind of job as I send and received high amount of data content. So if the router isn't performing, I will change to a better more reliable faster wireless router. It's not just wireless that matters but too wire to wire connection. If I was putting SH down, I would not be using them in the first place. Their fibre broadband speed is one of the best in town.

The problem sometime lies at the router that's being used. If you are not good at configure your own router, please let SH tech assist you. They know their own product better than we do. I have spoken to some of the technician and they have told me whatever router that's given as part of the resigning package is definitely usable but it's up to your own risk to buy your own router if you do not know how to configure. Just for your own knowledge, Linksys EA7500 was launch in 2016 (but it's does not mean it's made in 2016). So it's relatively a slightly old product in the market (as I said, it's usable for normal layman daily usage) to watch Youtube, download emails and so on.

You might want to insist a SH tech to visit your premises. It's always the best solution. If they are the one that provide the router, they should be the one solving your issues. Just let them know you have zero knowledge on it.

I am still using my old DLink 868L in the house as a second wireless router where I placed at a blind spot area which has relatively poor signal.

I am not asking everyone must change their routers (as it might not solve your internet signal issues) but find out where the problem is with SH tech before you go out getting a new router.

Senior Contributor

@danlovesgem wrote:

Actually you still can use whatever SH provide. It's because I need blazing fast speed for my kind of job as I send and received high amount of data content. So if the router isn't performing, I will change to a better more reliable faster wireless router. It's not just wireless that matters but too wire to wire connection. If I was putting SH down, I would not be using them in the first place. Their fibre broadband speed is one of the best in town.

The problem sometime lies at the router that's being used. If you are not good at configure your own router, please let SH tech assist you. They know their own product better than we do. I have spoken to some of the technician and they have told me whatever router that's given as part of the resigning package is definitely usable but it's up to your own risk to buy your own router if you do not know how to configure. Just for your own knowledge, Linksys EA7500 was launch in 2016 (but it's does not mean it's made in 2016). So it's relatively a slightly old product in the market (as I said, it's usable for normal layman daily usage) to watch Youtube, download emails and so on.

You might want to insist a SH tech to visit your premises. It's always the best solution. If they are the one that provide the router, they should be the one solving your issues. Just let them know you have zero knowledge on it.

I am still using my old DLink 868L in the house as a second wireless router where I placed at a blind spot area which has relatively poor signal.

I am not asking everyone must change their routers (as it might not solve your internet signal issues) but find out where the problem is with SH tech before you go out getting a new router.

SH tech to visit your premises. - yes, they already did. That's how we confirmed its the router.
please let SH tech assist you. - yes, they did the initial set up. When the problem persisted I re-did the set up several times to try and fix it. 

Esteemed Commentator

Ahh ok. Well SH decided to tai chi their problems to Linksys......hahaha. Do you have a spare router to test?
Senior Contributor

Yup, used an old router. No issues.
Esteemed Commentator

Ok. Looks like yours could be a faulty unit.......I wish I can pass my Linksys for you to try and we will know by then!
Senior Commentator

The speed drop is significant. When you stream or download videos, it gets
choked. The speed is half of the D-link 868L.

You might want to hard reset the router and then disable the IPv6 and see
what happens

SH came to my place 3 times and they couldn't solve anything. So not much
point asking them to come. The problem is with Linksys.
Esteemed Commentator

I have the same problem with EA7500. Starhub upgraded my network and suggest that I buy this router at a discounted price. It is slower than my old DLink 850L router. Videos getting stuck from the beginning. Can someone from Starhub please help? Very very disappointing having to pay $120 for the router and get slower speed.

Community Manager

Hi @ ckmeng1

Quick check - have you completed your router setup and upgraded the firmware after you've installed the Linksys router? 

1) Connect via LAN cable from any Router's LAN port to computer/laptop.
2) At the browser, input; >>  192.168.1.1  or as indicated in the Quick Start Guide.
3) Follow the Quick Start Guide to do the router setup.
4) Finally after upgrading the firmware, which may take up to 7 minutes, continue to sign-up and install Linksys Smart Wi-Fi.

- Amy
Trusted Commentator

Try disabling IPv6 on your router. Solved this issue for me. Solution given by another user here in another thread. 

Esteemed Commentator

Hi Amy,

I have done all that at the start of the setup.