cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys EA7500 Ver 2. Hands On!

Highlighted
Android™ Expert

Linksys EA7500 Ver 2. Hands On!

Linksys EA7500 ver 2 is basically an upgraded version of its ver 1. Noticeable difference includes higher bandwidth on both the 2.4 GHz wireless N (800 Mbps, up from the previous 600 Mbps) and 5 GHz wireless AC (1733 Mbps, up from the previous 1300 Mbps). In this review, I will be covering the Wi-Fi experience of the EA7500v2, particularly in comparison with my older router, DLink DIR-890L. I will also be sharing some of the cool UI the EA7500v2 provide, as well as the mobile app.

The WiFi test

Perhaps its my occupational habit, but I always write my reviews in close relation to a scientific report. Hopefully, it’s a refreshing touch as oppose to conventional tech reviews.

Materials and Method

1.  General Experimental

All tests are performed on an ASUS G501VW laptop (i7-6700HQ, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD and Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265). All speedtests are pinged to StarHub Mobile server on www.speedtest.net. Each test is repeated 3 times and their averages are taken as the representative result. The test device is the only device active while the speedtest is being performed. The ISP is StarHub 1Gbps Fibre Broadband. All tests are on the 5GHz network.

2.  Test on DLink DIR-890L

The router is restored to factory default prior to the test. No setting has been amended for the test. The test is carried out at 3 different locations. Location 1 : Room 1, distance 5m with a 0.5m concrete wall. Location 2: Living Room, distance 3m with no obstruction. Location 3: Room 2, distance 10m with 0.2m of obstruction.

3.  Test on Linksys EA7500v2

The router is restored to factory default prior to the test. No setting has been amended for the test. The test is carried out at 3 different locations. Location 1 : Room 1, distance 5m with a 0.5m concrete wall. Location 2: Living Room, distance 3m with no obstruction. Location 3: Room 2, distance 10m with 0.2m of obstruction.

Results and Discssion

The results of the tests can be summarised as below.graph.jpg

Figure 1. Speedtest results of DIR-890L vs EA7500v2.

The results give a clear verdict to the winner in this test. The EA7500v2 beats its competition across all 3 test locations. I have also tried to see how strong the signals are from my mobile phone (iPhone 7 Plus) and EA7500v2 is either on par or surpass the DIR-890L in all situations.

Wired connection shows little to no difference between the two routers.

User Interface

Many time when I visit my friends, they have their WiFi password set as default. Remembering these default is not easy, and they have no idea how to change them. Linksys did a great job in covering this issue. Once you have connected and powered on your router, the first connected device’s browser (not sure for smartphones) will be automatically directed to the device set up page. You typically have to entire the router’s IP to access, which is not intuitive for most users.

login.jpg

Figure 2. Login screen for EA7500v2.

Something negative that I have experienced here is that the English manual did not include the default administrator password. However, this can be found on the small texts in the manual for other languages.

Upon logging in, you will be greeted with the dashboard that display most, if not all of the information that you most often need.

front.jpg

Figure 3. Dashboard of EA7500v2

The user interface is packed with functions which you may explore when you get your hands on one. I shall skip these as there are just too many for me to try out.

Wireless security can be easily configured by clicking on the Wireless tab under Router Settings.

wifi.jpg

Figure 4. Wireless settings for EA7500v2.

All these functions have also been condensed into a neat mobile app called Linksys, which is available on both Apple App Store and Google Play Store. You can even update the firmware of the router via the app!

Photo 14-7-17, 23 25 18.png

Figure 5. Smartphone app for EA7500v2.

Conclusion

The Linksys EA7500v2 is everything you need for home networking condensed into a small form. It has superb WiFi performance and is packed with functionalities. The ease of usage should be very welcoming to most, if not all. I will be using this router as my main router from now on. 

For more information please visit http://www.linksys-sh.com

Rating: 4.5/5