StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN settings and can I use my mobile SIM in a dongle to access Internet on a laptop/PC?

SOLVED
Home Networking Expert

Re: APN settings and can I use my mobile SIM in a dongle to access Internet on a laptop/PC?

@CherHJ wrote:

Hi Kai Boon,

I guess perhaps I did not restart the laptop after changing the settings. Anyway many thanks for your advice and excellent support.

One more feedback for you/Starhub.....I called 1633 two days ago and spoke to a customer service lady. I asked the same question: "What are the correct APN settings if I want to use my mobile SIM in a dongle to access Internet on a laptop/PC?". After putting me on hold for a a few mins, she told me that I cannot use my mobile SIM/voice plan in a dongle. I asked her why and thereotically I should be able to use it since it has 12G of data. She never give me the exact reasons and kept insisting that because this is a mobile plan and repeated the same answer/s for at least 3 times.

I gave up and decided to use community discussions instead. Too bad I didn't get hold of her name.....she doesn't seems to be knowledgeable on the products etc and giving blant answers to the customers. Not a good customer service experience with her.

If the agents on the phone are so pro and can settle all customer queries Starhub will not need a forum. And if all the agents are experts our subscription is going to go up. Smiley Wink

New Commentator

Re: APN settings and can I use my mobile SIM in a dongle to access Internet on a laptop/PC?

Did you guys disable this?

I can no longer use a data sim card (1gig free monthly) with starhub issued huawei dongle E1550. 

I was told by starhub technical support that I can only use it with a smartphone. What lame excuse is this? 

Grand Guru

Hii @frontdis

Please refer to these website regarding Mobile MaxOnline using Huawei dongle E1550.

1.  Approved Devices for Mobile Broadband   (mostly these devices are new)

2.  Mobile Broadband Device, Firmware Upgrade /User Guide  

3. Compatibility List of E1550 HSDPA USB Stick  for  PC /Laptop.

Hence you need to read thru to know whether your Pc/laptop will able to use this dongle.

Also, some of the dongle can be used in tablet, using dongle with SIM card inside.

I do have this dongle, which install but unable to work and my laptop is not in the list on compatililty.

As for me, i don't need it.

-------------------------------------------

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.

Esteemed Commentator

Huawei Mobile Wifi E5786 - profile is invalid?

Dear all,

I can't get my my Huwei mobile wifi working. It says: Connection failed. The profile is invalid. Please contact your service provider. I even created a new profile with APN : shinternet and it still doesn't work. Any Ideas?

Jack

Community Relationship Manager

Re: Huawei Mobile Wifi E5786 - profile is invalid?

Hi Jack79, are you a postpaid or prepaid subscriber? Send me a private message with your contact details and I'll look into this issue. Thank you -Jolene 

Esteemed Commentator

Hi,

I am pre-paid customer. I just bought that SIM card with 15 GB included and
on my mobile phone it works well, but not with the "Mobile wifi".

Br
Jukka
Hub Master

Hey Jack

What's the error encountered?
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Esteemed Commentator

Hi,

It says " Connection failed. The profile is invalid. Please contact your service provider."

I can use this same SIM Card in my mobile phone and data connection works with my mobile phone, but not with this "Huawei Mobile Wifi".

Hub Master

Have you tried using other SIM card on the Huawei Mobile Wifi device?

Is there any option for you to input APN on the Huawei device?
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Esteemed Commentator

Hi,

I have not tried another SIM card yet, but this SIM card works well in my mobile phone.

APN : shinternet.

I can even create new profile, but still no help.