StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN settings and can I use my mobile SIM in a dongle to access Internet on a laptop/PC?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

APN settings and can I use my mobile SIM in a dongle to access Internet on a laptop/PC?

hi there,

I have a mobile line which is currently still active but not using it on any mobile phone. I have inserted the SIM card to the Huawei dongle (Huawei model: E1550) as I would like to use the data on my PC. However, it gives an error that the service is not registered in the network. The line works when I use it on normal mobile phone but not the dongle. I have tried to change the APN settings but still getting the same error message.

Can you please advise how to make this work?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hub Master
Solution

Re: APN settings and can I use my mobile SIM in a dongle to access Internet on a laptop/PC?

Static
APN: shinternet
Access number: *99#

The rest you can leave it blank.
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
24 REPLIES 24
Hub Master

Re: APN settings and can I use my mobile SIM in a dongle to access Internet on a laptop/PC?

What did you input for the APN?
Home is where the ♥ is
Esteemed Commentator

I used "shwap" and did a few troubleshooting with "shinternet" and "shwapint". But all can't work.

Hub Master

Maybe you can provide me with the required fields and I provide you with what to fill in.
Home is where the ♥ is
Esteemed Commentator

APN

--> Choose "Dynamic" or "Static"

--> APN:

Authentication

Access number:

User name:

Password:

Hub Master
Solution

Static
APN: shinternet
Access number: *99#

The rest you can leave it blank.
Home is where the ♥ is
Esteemed Commentator

Great! Seems to work now. Not sure why though as I tried before but wasn't working. Smiley Happy

Hub Master

Most likely the previous settings is wrong.
Home is where the ♥ is
Esteemed Commentator

Hi Kai Boon,

I guess perhaps I did not restart the laptop after changing the settings. Anyway many thanks for your advice and excellent support.

One more feedback for you/Starhub.....I called 1633 two days ago and spoke to a customer service lady. I asked the same question: "What are the correct APN settings if I want to use my mobile SIM in a dongle to access Internet on a laptop/PC?". After putting me on hold for a a few mins, she told me that I cannot use my mobile SIM/voice plan in a dongle. I asked her why and thereotically I should be able to use it since it has 12G of data. She never give me the exact reasons and kept insisting that because this is a mobile plan and repeated the same answer/s for at least 3 times.

I gave up and decided to use community discussions instead. Too bad I didn't get hold of her name.....she doesn't seems to be knowledgeable on the products etc and giving blant answers to the customers. Not a good customer service experience with her.

Hub Master

I am sorry to hear about the poor experience.

To say the truth, there is no difference between the a datapack and voice plan (with data enabled) when you insert the SIM card into a dongle. Likewise, a datapack SIM card can also be inserted into a handset or tablets, just that phone calls cannot be made.
Home is where the ♥ is