Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of TCM Channel

Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Loss of TCM Channel

Hi,

I am so saddened/angry that you have decided to remove TCM from your line-up.

1. There is very little programming for your older viewers.

2. This was the only remaining full tv channel in my basic channel line-up!

3. There are no alternatives offered...we have no say!!!

4. I watch only 5-6 channels of the basic 50 channel line-up..so i have just lost 20% of my viewing.

5. TCM was one of the reasons we maintained our contract...

I think that we willl allow our contract to lapse next year...as your offering to us is no longer of value.

It is very shortsighted not to consider your older viewers.

Why can you not continue with TCM online so that viewers like me can still access the channel!!

Your comments on 1. to 5. would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager

Re: Loss of TCM Channel

Hi @ jedders

We are discontinuing the 3 channels as part of our ongoing effort to offer fresh content for our StarHub TV customers. 

At present, there are no replacement channels for CNN Headlines News (Ch 712), truTV (Ch 466), and Turner Classic Movies (Ch 616) or any changes to the price plan.

You can look to the following channels for similar content to Turner Classic Movies (Ch 616).

Warner TV – Ch 515 (Entertainment Basic) 
Weekend 9pm

Lifetime - Ch 514 (Entertainment Basic)
Timebelt varies

AXN - Ch 511 (Entertainment Basic)
Timebelt varies

DIVA – Ch 513 (Entertainment Basic)
Timebelt varies

- Amy
Senior Commentator

Thank you...

I have just taken Amazon video's.....

My subscription will lapse at the end of my current contract.

The channels you mention do carry movies..but they are current movies....apples & oranges.

You need to at least empaphise with your long term loyal customers.

Community Manager

Thanks for your feedback. Rest assured we'll share your feedback with the team.

- Amy
Respected Advocate

@jedders wrote:

I think that we willl allow our contract to lapse next year...as your offering to us is no longer of value.

It is very shortsighted not to consider your older viewers.

I feel your pains. Unfortunately, such dropping of channels has accelerated in recent years. Probably due to Starhub inability to come to commercial terms with the content provider.

You do not need to be held hostage to your contract. IIRC you are allowed to break the contract if the channels that you signed up for had been dropped. Starhub is obligated to allow you to do so without penalty. 

If they do not, I think you can approach IMDA for assistance. 

Respected Advocate

@jedders wrote:

Thank you...

I have just taken Amazon video's.....

My subscription will lapse at the end of my current contract.

The channels you mention do carry movies..but they are current movies....apples & oranges.

You need to at least empaphise with your long term loyal customers.

LOL. The staff here likes to compare apples & oranges. Makes me wonders if they really know what is shown on TCM.

TCM shows a lot of old movies (many B&W) from the early days of television and movies. The channels mentioned by Amy definitely does not show any classic movies (I doubt they have the broadcast rights for these movies). In this respect, TCM is absolutely unique.

Here's a CNA article that reports about the then-MDA (now IMDA) requiring "pay-TV operators to allow consumers to exit fixed-term contracts without paying Early Termination Charges (ETCs) if unilateral changes by the operators are detrimental to subscribers."

New measures to better protect pay-TV customers from April

Hope it helps!