StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery Network Channels - Going Soon?

Respected Advocate

Re: Discovery Network Channels - Going Soon?

@katong wrote:

@Eronec wrote:
I not in contract, all thank to the IPTV as I not able to install and my re-contract was aborted..

StarHub is forcing new / recontract customer to migrate to IP set-top box. A educated guess - their HFC network is planned to be closed down in a couple years time from now. 

Resources for other set top box options are readily available in HDZ.

I think it's an open secret that Starhub planned to ceased cable subscription eventually. 

There's even an FAQ on this topic nested within the FAQs section: Changes to Cable Service Offerings FAQ

So far, Starhub hasn't really been forcing those who re-contract to move over to Fibre. I know what my plans will be if I am not allowed to re-contract on cable. I will probably just give up Starhub TV and save some money every month in the process.

Things are different now from 10 or 20 years ago. Back then, you really don't have many alternatives when it comes to watching your favourite shows. Now there are plenty of other ways to access your favourite shows. It may not be as convenient as just switch on your STB and watching but it can be done.

So if Starhub is smart about it, they will continue to maintain their cable infrastructure for as long as it's economically to do so. When they cut that off, they are going to lose a whole chunk of TV subscribers.  

Then again, Starhub hasn't been the sharpest tool in the shed for some time now. So I won't be too surprised if once again, they make a bone-headed decision to kill off the one thing that may be keeping their subscribers numbers up.

We shall see what happens. What's going to happen will happen. 

Grand Guru

Cable infrastructure do not belong to Starhub as it is on lease till 2020.

Hence Starhub have to cease both Cable TV and Cable Broadband services soon before 2020.

Cable broadband now is offer 100mbps but without any Contract.

So is Cable TV is not available for contract, as existing customers are able to continue till cease.

Meanwhile it seem that Starhub is moving Cable TV subscribers to Fibre TV subscription.

But the issue is that Fibre TV do require the need of Fibre Broadband due to using ONT, not separate.

This is where Starhub should revise this method on the need to have Fibre broadband for IPTV service.

It is said that they are offering free fibre broadband as part of the Fibre TV service to some existing Cable TV subscribers.

What's next is yet to be updated and/or make known.

Respected Advocate

Well, the leasing of the cable infrastructure is a commercial issue to be sorted out between Starhub and the commercial owner (hmm.. who owns the cable infrastructure anyway?) It seems a bit silly to just abandon a working infrastructure after all the trouble we go into building it up in the first place.

Of cos, in this instance, Starhub hands may be tied if its all part of the govt blueprint for Smart Nation which the NGNBN.

That's not the only problems I foresee with the migration to FibreTV. 

#1 SH FibreTV service must be de-coupled with SH FibreBB subscription. Forcing people to do so will just piss people off and you will just lose the customers who may otherwise sign up for FibreTV anyway.

#2 FibreTV in the bedrooms is a colossal headache if your home is not wired up. To get FibreTV in the bedroom will require additional trunking (aesthetic issues) and cost. Not all homeowners will consent to laying additional trunking. And even those who don't mind may not be willing to pay the cost. 

So for those who signed up for 2 or more sets in the home currently, even if they do migrate to FibreTV, there's an immediate drop in the revenue stream for SH if they give up the other sets.

I guess this is all just part of the growing pains. When CableTV was first introduced, there were also many pains in the process. It can't be help I guess. 

Valued Advisor

@lonewolfsg wrote:

Well, the leasing of the cable infrastructure is a commercial issue to be sorted out between Starhub and the commercial owner (hmm.. who owns the cable infrastructure anyway?) It seems a bit silly to just abandon a working infrastructure after all the trouble we go into building it up in the first place.

Of cos, in this instance, Starhub hands may be tied if its all part of the govt blueprint for Smart Nation which the NGNBN.

That's not the only problems I foresee with the migration to FibreTV. 

#1 SH FibreTV service must be de-coupled with SH FibreBB subscription. Forcing people to do so will just piss people off and you will just lose the customers who may otherwise sign up for FibreTV anyway.

#2 FibreTV in the bedrooms is a colossal headache if your home is not wired up. To get FibreTV in the bedroom will require additional trunking (aesthetic issues) and cost. Not all homeowners will consent to laying additional trunking. And even those who don't mind may not be willing to pay the cost. 

So for those who signed up for 2 or more sets in the home currently, even if they do migrate to FibreTV, there's an immediate drop in the revenue stream for SH if they give up the other sets.

I guess this is all just part of the growing pains. When CableTV was first introduced, there were also many pains in the process. It can't be help I guess. 

Today's HFC network is owned and managed by StarHub.  I believe StarHub bought it from SCV in early 2000s.

There are different way to deliver IPTV to end-users.  In some neighbouring markets, IPTV services are delivered by dedicated Android TV box that is Wi-Fi enable to allow user to bring it with them from one spot to another as long as a decent internet connection is available. 

Senior Commentator

Hi guys, I’m subscribed to Basic Tier 3 of 7: Education, Entertainment and World News. I was told by Starhub that the removal of Discovery channels does not constitute 20% of my total channels. I read from IMDA Today letter that some subscribers are entitled to exit without penalty because the Discovery channels is more than 20% of their channels, I’m puzzled at who are those subscribers because I am already subscribed to the minimum number of groups allowed (3) for a basic subscription.

Alumni (Retired)

Hi newasia8

Can you provide me with your full name, NRIC, contact number and email address via Private Message and we'll keep in touch?

Honored Advisor

When Asia Travel Channel, Food Channel & Food Network stop airing?
And after this, where can I watch these channel from..?

Alumni (Retired)

Hi Eronec

Asian Food Channel On Demand, Food Network On Demand, HGTV On Demand and Travel Channel On Demand will cease transmission at 12pm, 31 August. 

New Commentator

Hi, I am subscribed to to Basic Tiers Education, Entertainment and World News as well. Starhub is adamant that I have to pay the penalty charge to exit. I have escalated to IMDA and waiting on their reply. Were you able exit without charge?
Honored Advisor

Wah..! Topic resurface, lol

@news77 I not exit yet, also Starhub wont care and just wait IMDA reply..