StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery Network Channels - Going Soon?

Respected Advocate

Re: Discovery Network Channels - Going Soon?

You can read all about it here >> http://www.starhub.com/personal/support/tv/cessation-of-discovery-faqs.html

Starhub will be sending letters to affected subscribers progressively from end Jun onwards.

Basically, the letters should be just repeating what's in the FAQ more or less.

Honored Advisor

Actually no need those FAQ, I thought StarHub will re-group all their remainding channel and re-price them with new channel. I don't know why I didn't or don't want..

Looks like I underestimate StarHub.. 

Grand Guru

Trusted Commentator

hi,

i was forwarded this link re:MDA rules protecting both sides should the inevitable occur:

in essence:

Under the new rules (as of March 2016), MDA will require pay-TV operators to allow consumers to exit fixed-term contracts without paying Early Termination Charges (ETCs) if unilateral changes by the operators are detrimental to subscribers due to either:

• Increase in subscription fee
  • Removal of material channel(s)
  • Removal of material sports content within a channel
  • Removal of at least 20 per cent of total number of channels in entire pay-TV service since the point of subscription

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/new-measures-to-better-protect-pay-tv-customers-from-...

The 2nd point "removal of material channel(s)" is clear enough that subcribers can terminate their contracts without undue penalties.

i concur with the others that i have no major issues with Starhub through the years and is my preferred service provider.  But this case needs more focus and due diligence in handling if we are to keep our faith and fate with Starhub.

Trusted Advocate

Thanks for the link, in many places its says STARHUB will be contacting those affected BY the end of June, rather than FROM end of June, 5 days to go.

Their suggested "alternatives" are really quite silly, for example:-

HGTV  ---> FYI™  or Nat Geo People  or DIVA

Really, other alternatives are equally silly.

Respected Commentator

Just reading this news makes my blood boil:

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/companies-markets/starhub-tv-axes-channels-from-discovery-garners-7...

Starhub don't understand that people are interested in the shows offered by those channels and not the kind of channel.

They should fire Miss Lee and the whole content business unit for being poor negotiators. That woman should not have worked in this field, I have never seen anyone negotiate business deals this way, she thought Discovery Networks boss is her husband or what? Threaten to stop airing think they will give in and reduce the price? Stupid and arrogant. Before she play hardball, she forgot starhub customer base and Singapore is small, Discovery Networks can just write off Starhub without much losses, it's Starhub lost the most in the end.

Sad to say Starhub's downfall will be caused by this dumb incompetent woman.

Valued Advisor

StarHub do not play ball. They are asking for early termination charge (ETC) for service termination request before contract ends.  StarHub customer service team also shared to me that we as customers are going to receive their "official notification" letter by 30 Jun 2018, until this notification reaches you, their official answer remains - negotiation with Discovery is in progress.

I wouldn't be surprised that Starhub's Pay TV service is sunsetting given their strategy to reduce investment on premium contents.

Starhub have chosen a path to ignore customer experience impacts and their lifetime value.  Do hope that it is going to cost them dearly in the years to come. 

Just my two cents.

Valued Advisor

StarHub do not play ball. They are asking for early termination charge (ETC) for service termination request before contract ends. StarHub customer service team also shared to me that we as customers are going to receive their "official notification" letter by 30 Jun 2018, until this notification reaches you, their official answer remains - negotiation with Discovery is in progress.

I wouldn't be surprised that Starhub's Pay TV service is sunsetting given their strategy to reduce investment on premium contents.

Starhub have chosen a path to ignore customer experience impacts and their lifetime value. Do hope that it is going to cost them dearly in the years to come.

Just my two cents.
Alumni (Retired)

Hi KATONG

That's certainly not the way we want you to feel. We always work towards meeting our customers’ entertainment needs and minimising any inconvenience to them. Hence, we are disappointed that we were not able to reach an agreement with Discovery. Our firm belief is that quality content should come at a sensible price, without our customers having to bear the unsustainable increase in cost.

Honored Advisor

Really? What if all your remaining channel also want to increase price , then StarHub also don’t care and stop airing? Why not cut your Head of Content Business Ms Lee bonuses and salaries to pay for it?

If Discovery really asking too much, why not your announce publicly on their ridiculous asking price? And I quite interested or wanting to know how much the price of a cup of coffee or tea that Discovery asking..