StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery Network Channels - Going Soon?

Highlighted
Respected Advocate

Discovery Network Channels - Going Soon?

https://www.facebook.com/StarHub/posts/10156544763987472

"Dear customers,

We are in renewal negotiations with Discovery Networks and are doing everything possible to arrive at a deal which would allow us to continue our partnership with Discovery.

You- our customers - are our top priority and so, we are working hard to ensure that you can enjoy an uninterrupted viewing experience. Concurrently, we are acquiring fresh content in the event that negotiations prove unsuccessful. If we are unable to agree on a renewal, the seven Discovery Networks channels will cease transmission on 30 June 2018. As factual entertainment fans ourselves, we will announce the launch of several new channels to ensure a continued good range of education and lifestyle channels for you. This will be carried out in the coming weeks, so stay tuned to our announcements.

To thank you for your continuous support, we would like to show our appreciation by offering all our customers a free preview of over 25 channels over five genres from 11 June to 15 July 2018. More details can be found at starhub.com/free-preview. We are working on adding more channels on free preview and hope to add to this list over the next few days.

As our negotiations with Discovery continue, we hope to share more details in due course. Once again, we thank you for your patience and understanding."

More info >> Discovery channels face axe from StarHub over payment row

Discovery Statement

“After June 30, StarHub subscribers will no longer be able to watch Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, TLC, Discovery Science, Discovery Asia, Eurosport and Setanta on both StarHub TV and streaming service StarHub Go, should a resolution not be met. Discovery’s expanded lifestyle offering – with the recent addition of HGTV, Asian Food Channel, Food Network, and Travel Channel to our portfolio – will also no longer be available on StarHub platforms after August 31."

WOW! After the recent 'Fox Network Fiasco', history is repeating itself again. Starhub can delude themselves that the launch of the new channels will replace the channels lost but the fact is that Discovery network of channels has a lot of programs and shows not shown anywhere else.

Really? A disagreement over a 'cup of coffee'? Surely, Discovery must be thinking about a cup of coffee from Coffee Bean or Starbuck for the disagreement to brew for so long (pun intended!) Probably not a cheap cup of coffee.

And the free preview is a joke for those who already subscribed to the respective genre (like me). I think it will be a big loss if no resolution is met. Personally, I watched 7 of the 11 channels affected on a regular basis. 

69 REPLIES 69
Community Manager

Re: Discovery Network Channels - Going Soon?

Hi lonewolfsg

We’re disappointed that we’re unsuccessful in renewing the channels too. We worked hard to negotiate a deal which would allow Discovery and StarHub to continue our partnership while offering our customers the same content at the same price.

Unfortunately, at this juncture, as we were unsuccessful in renewing the Discovery Networks suite of channels, these channels will cease transmission on 30 June 2018 at 12pm. Do check out alternative channels that you can tune in to: http://bit.ly/2JgM5nT

Rest assured we are working to acquire fresh, replacement content and will announce in the coming weeks the launch of several new channels to ensure our customers will continue to enjoy access to a comprehensive range of education and lifestyle channels.

Thank you for your continued support. 

- Amy
Respected Advocate

Like I say, either you guys are clueless or you are trying to pull a fast one!

The simple fact is that there is no alternative to the Discovery channels that will be lost. 

Sure you can watch nature and animal documentaries on channels like BBC Earth and NatGeo Wild, but each channel have its own program that is not available anywhere else (not even on its sister channel!) 

eg. tell me where I can watch programs like Deadliest Catch, Monsters Inside Me, Wheeler Dealers, Mythbusters, Mysteries at the Museum, Rise of the Machines etc on any of the other 'alternative' channels. 

You cannot because it is not possible to watch them anywhere else except on Discovery, Discovery Science, Travel Channels and Animal Planets. And if you try to tell us otherwise, like I said, you are clueless or worse lying about it. 

Respected Commentator

My contract would be due after six months.

I won't renew it if no discovery networks anymore.

Respected Commentator

I'm watching those such called alternative channels already!!!!

Will Starhub offer other channels to me?

Can I terminate my contract since Starhub breach it?

I think Singtel is laughing now!!!!

Honored Advisor

That's was amazing StarHub..!

I'm one of your lucky customer and I should like to thank StarHub not successful renew my contract due to unable to install IPTV because Data point issue. I am **bleep** LUCKY..!

Should we still pay the same price..? What now you can offer StarHub..?

Community Manager

Hi PotatoYan

We will announce in the coming weeks the launch of several new channels. Stay tuned. 

- Amy
Trusted Commentator

See what Discovery said:

http://www.marketing-interactive.com/discovery-and-starhub-clash-over-carriage-fees-11-channels-poss...

Discovery has revealed that it has “reached an impasse” in recent negotiations with StarHub over carriage fees. In a statement to the press, Discovery said that StarHub is “not prepared to pay fair value and have announced their decision to cease transmission of all 11 Discovery channels on their platform”.

The channels impacted are Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, TLC, Discovery Science, Discovery Asia, Eurosport, Setanta, HGTV, Asian Food Channel, Food Network, and Travel Channel.

“All we are asking for is the equivalent of a cup of coffee per customer per month. We have a responsibility to now take the extraordinary step of informing our viewers that they may lose all the Discovery channels they are paying for on StarHub,” the statement said.

It added that in Singapore, Discovery’s portfolio of channels reached over 1.3 million viewers in the past year. This was driven by the top five flagship channels – Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, TLC, Asian Food Channel and HGTV.

Respected Contributor

Your alternative channels do not even come close to Discovery Channel's suite of programs.  Seriously, if you want to be a serious industry player of quality cable content, you cannot be a cheapskate !  7 months after signing up with you and you pull the plug on the Number One reason why I switch to SH ie., Discovery Channel !  Now I'm left hanging out dry because you guys don't know how to run a network, AGAIN !  I'm so furious, I will never come back to Star Hub ever again when my contract ends.  Why do you guys keep shooting yourself in the foot just boggles my mind !  You guys are a bunch of incompetent knuckleheads.

Respected Commentator

This is crazy. There is no point subscribing cable TV if there is no Discovery Channel!

I only signed the HomeHub because of Discovery Channel and others like TLC.

If you all cancel with Discovery Channel or the other channels, I am going to cancel HomeHub and move to Singtel!

Discovery Channel is the only reason I didn't forget about cable TV and move to Netflix!

Please don't make this mistake.