cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPL is coming back to StarHub!

SOLVED
Administrator

Re: BPL is coming back to StarHub!

I have typed out Mr Ng's letter and our response so that the content is easily searchable on Google Smiley Happy

StarHub users in dark about BPL

(By Mr Ng Yong Da, published in The New Paper, July 22)

There is less than a month to go before the start of the start of the new Barclays Premier League (BPL) football season and there is still no confirmation that StarHub will be showing matches live under a cross-carriage arragement from SingTel mio TV.

I understand that the matches will be shown on mio TV, no mater what the final decision is.

But StarHub subscribers are still left with many questions.

For instance, how many channels will be showing the matches live? How much will we have to pay to watch them?

And will the StarHub telecasts include the pre-match preview, half-time and full-time analysis, weekly highlights and so on that are available on mio TV?

Will the deal include the Community Shield match between Manchester United and Wigan on Aug 11?

Time is running out and I hope the authorities concerned will come up with some answers soon.

StarHub's Reply on BPL

WE REFER to reader Ng Yong Da's letter, "StarHub users in dark about BPL" (The New Paper, July 22).

We emphathise with Mr Ng and the thousands of other customers who are eager to catch the upcoming Barclays Premier League (BPL) season on StarHub TV, and are waiting for updates.

We believe the local broadcast rights-holder will be making an announcement on how the BPL content will be packaged, once they are ready.

Based on the crosscarriage direction of the Media Development Authority (MDA), customers should expect a non-dscriminatory BPL viewing experience for the same price, regardless of which operator's platform they choose to view the football matches.

We assure our customers that StarHub is doing our best in working with MDA and the local broadcast rights-holder for the smooth implementation of cross-carraige of BPL on our platform.

Our customers are our top priority.

We thank Mr Ng for his support and look forward to providing our customers with a smooth BPL viewing experience on our stable and reliable network.

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Respected Advocate
Respected Advocate

Cross Carriage of BPL

Dear valued customers,

We understand your anticipation of the upcoming BPL season which will be cross carried on StarHub TV. Our goal is to make the signing up and viewing as seamless as possible for you. Thus we have prepared a list of FAQs to address some of your queries.

1. How do I subscribe to BPL and watch it on my StarHub TV set-top box?

You can subscribe and watch BPL on your StarHub TV set-top box in 2 simple steps:

Step 1: Identify your StarHub TV Subscription ID.

Step 2: With your StarHub TV Subscription ID & NRIC, approach SingTel directly when they are ready to accept BPL subscription request.
  2. How to get your StarHub TV Subscription ID?

Your StarHub TV Subscription ID can be found on your StarHub TV bill or via My StarHub App.

i) StarHub TV Bill
file

ii) My StarHub App (available for download from Apple's Appstore and Google Play Store)
             • Launch the App and login with your Hub iD. (Register here if you have no Hub iD or have forgotten your Hub iD)
             • In the main page, select “My Account”, followed by “Contract & Service Information”.
             • You can view your Cable TV Subscription ID by selecting the “TV” tab.

3.  Why do I need to contact SingTel for the subscription to BPL channels on my StarHub TV set-top box?

As SingTel owns the broadcast rights for BPL, customers who wish to watch BPL on their StarHub TV set top will need to sign up directly with SingTel. 

The BPL channels will be billed directly by SingTel. For other StarHub TV content subscription, your subscription charges will continue to be billed directly by StarHub.

4.  How many BPL channels will I get and how much is the subscription?

The subscription comes with 8 mio Stadium channels and 1 subscription on demand channel at the published rate of $59.90 per month.

5. Is there any difference between watching BPL on mio TV and StarHub TV?

There is no difference in the content or experience whether customers watch on StarHub TV set-top boxes or mio TV set-top boxes. The BPL channels will only be available on the set-top box which you have opted for.

To enjoy uninterrupted viewing of the BPL matches, we strongly encourage you to subscribe the BPL channels and watch it using your StarHub TV set-top box.

6.  Do I need to subscribe to both mio TV and StarHub TV to enjoy the complete coverage?

No, you can choose to subscribe to watch the BPL matches either through StarHub TV set-top box or mio TV set-top box.

To enjoy uninterrupted viewing of the BPL matches, we strongly encourage you to subscribe the BPL channels and watch it using your StarHub TV set-top box.

7.  If I have both StarHub TV and mio TV in my house. Does it mean that I will only need to subscribe to BPL on either service and get to enjoy it on both boxes?

No, you can choose to sign up to BPL either on StarHub TV set-top box or mio TV set-top box. The BPL channels will only be available on the set-top box which you have opted for.

If you have more than 1 StarHub TV set-top boxes under the same subscription, you can enjoy BPL matches on all you StarHub TV set-top boxes if you subscribe to BPL channels on StarHub TV set-top box.

To enjoy uninterrupted viewing of the BPL matches, we strongly encourage you to subscribe to the BPL channels and watch it using your StarHub TV set-top box.

8. When can I submit my subscription request?

As order taking will only start on 1 August 2013, you may submit your subscription request to SingTel from 1 August 2013 onwards

In the meantime, please ensure that you have your StarHub TV Subscription ID and the NRIC/FIN no. of the

StarHub TV subscriber ready.

Your StarHub TV Subscription ID can be found in your StarHub TV bill (located on the left of the bill) or you can call StarHub Customer hotline at 1633 to retrieve it.

9.  When will the channels be activated on my StarHub TV set-top box?

The BPL channels will be activated within 5 working days after your subscription request has been successfully submitted to SingTel, and you will receive an SMS notification from SingTel.

SingTel will only start broadcasting the BPL matches on your StarHub TV set-top box from 17 August 2013, 0001hrs, and billing will commence from 17 August 2013.

To ensure that you will be able to watch the BPL matches on 17 August 2013, we strongly encourage you to submit your subscription to SingTel early.

The BPL matches will be broadcasted in High Definition (HD) and you will need a HD set-top box to watch. If you are currently using a Standard Definition (SD) i.e. digital set-top box or HubStation, you can upgrade to HubStation HD or HD Interactive set-top box at any of our StarHub Shops / Customer Service Centres and Exclusive Partners and enjoy a 3-month 50% off the set-top box rental charge.

10.  I have more than one StarHub TV set-top boxes.  Is BPL available on all my set-top boxes? Is SingTel allowed to charge me extra for each set-top box receiving BPL?

Once you have subscribed to the BPL channels on your StarHub TV set-top box, there will be no additional charges to catch the BPL programmes on any other StarHub TV set-top boxes you might have registered under the same StarHub TV service.

11.  Will there any commitment period and any early termination charge if I were to terminate my BPL channels subscription?

The packaging and its subscription charge for BPL content is determined by SingTel.

For any enquiries for subscription charges, packaging and sign-up details, please contact SingTel’s sales hotline at 1609, visit any of SingTel retail outlets or visit www.miotv.com.sg.

12. I’m currently subscribing to mio TV and StarHub TV. How can I move my BPL channel subscription to watch on my StarHub TV set-top box?

For any enquiries for subscription charges, packaging and sign-up details, please contact SingTel’s sales hotline at 1609, visit any of SingTel retail outlets or visit www.miotv.com.sg.

13.  I am currently enjoying Anytime TV as part of my StarHub Broadband subscription. Will I be able to request for the activation of BPL on my Anytime TV set-top box?

Yes. You may do so.

Please ensure that you have your StarHub TV Subscription ID and the NRIC/FIN no. of the StarHub TV subscriber ready before visiting any SingTel retail shops or contacting SingTel Sales hotline at 1609.

Your StarHub TV Subscription ID can be found in your StarHub TV bill (located on the left of the bill) or you can call StarHub Customer hotline at 1633 to retrieve it.

Content Enquiries

14.  Are there any other SingTel channels I can subscribe on my StarHub TV set-top box?

No, BPL matches will only be telecast on the BPL channels, thus only the BPL channels will be made available to customers using StarHub set-top boxes.

15.  How many years will BPL be available on cross carriage?

SingTel has acquired the rights to BPL from season 2013/14 to 2015/16 and customers can choose to sign up on the BPL Pack during this period.

16.  Are the Champions League, Europa League, FA Community Shield, FA Cup and Capital ONE Cup available on cross carriage as well?

Only the mio Stadium channels that will telecast the BPL matches are made available to customers using StarHub set-top box.  We do not have information on the other content mentioned. 

Billing Enquiries

17.  Will the subscription to BPL channels be charged under my StarHub TV monthly bill?

No. All subscription charges in relation to BPL channels will be billed directly by SingTel to the customer. For other StarHub channels, subscription charges will continue to be billed directly by StarHub.

Respected Advocate

CNA has reported that Singtel's appeal to MCI has failed.

"BREAKING: Minister of Communications & Information rejects SingNet's appeal against Media Development Authority orders to allow pay-TV rivals (such as StarHub) to cross-carry Barclays Premier League matches"

Everyone's Tags (1)
Esteemed Commentator

What about if i want to use starhub 2 set-top boxes?
Respected Advocate

HI,
LONEWOLFSG AND TO ALL BPL FANS.GOOD NEWS TO HEAR THAT FINALLY BPL IS COMING BACK TO STARHUB.CHEERSSS %+).
Respected Advocate

Are you sure its good news?

You are paying nearly double and you called it good news?

And pls dun be like that idiot in the paper and say he will wait for Starhub's price. There's no Starhub price. There's only Singtel price. So take it or leave it.

This is a fascinating case study for econmist. Consumer actually pay less in an monopoly situation compared to when a monopoly is forced to share contents with its competitor.

Wont be subscribing. Not a die-hard BPL fan anyway. But I feel for all BPL fans. They keep getting screwed over and over again.

Honored Advisor

English Premier League pricing for SingTel and StarHub announced
EPL package is available for S$59.90 on both mioTV and StarHub...!!!

WTH..!!

Highlighted
Respected Advocate

Halo lonewolfsg,

I Hope Starhub will consider by giving Lower And Better Price than Singtel to Tis Stand-Alone BPL To its existing Sports Group Subscribers or SomeWhat For Special Discount For Early Birds Who Subsscribe to tis BPL 3 Consecutive Seasons.Regards Azaman Jantan.

Everyone's Tags (1)
Honored Advisor

Azaman.. No way..! Price are decided by Mio, so if Mio say $100 that $100. So up to us to take it or not. So disappointed that it cost $59.90, this cost more than by StarHub 3 groups and as a StarHub payees, I also disappointed for the announcement for both Mio and StarHub Smiley Sad
Respected Advocate

Hi Eronec.

Ok...But Anyway Let We Wait From STARHUB Announcement Regarding Tis BPL PRICING OUTCOME FOR ITS STARHUB EXISTING CUSTOMERS.Hope STARHUB will not disappoint Us BPL FANS.Be HAPPY OKSmiley HappyHAVE A NICE WEEKEND.Regards AZAMAN JANTAN.