Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPL is coming back to StarHub!

SOLVED
Highlighted
Administrator

BPL is coming back to StarHub!

I think some of you have heard about it from your friends or from the news Smiley Happy

We welcome the decision of the Media Development Authority, announced this evening,  to make the BPL subject to the cross-carriage measure. Singapore viewers are the biggest beneficiaries of this decision and we are excited to be able to bring the BPL to our customers on our reliable network once again.

Going by Singapore’s cross carriage regulation, StarHub will provide the platform to carry the BPL content but we will not be the ones charging our customers for it.  The operator that holds the broadcast rights (in this case our competitor) will determine how the content is packaged and priced, and will be billing our customers directly.

Feel free to discuss here Smiley Happy

MDA directs SingTel to share BPL content with StarHub under cross-carriage rule

By Irene Tham

The next three seasons of the highly-popular English Premier League (EPL) football matches - starting in August - will be available on both StarHub and SingTel pay-TV platforms for the first time.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Media Development Authority (MDA) ruled that SingTel must share the content with StarHub under its "cross-carriage" regime after looking into StarHub's complaints against SingTel.

The cross-carriage regulatory framework which kicked in on Aug 1, 2011, compels broadcasters to share exclusive content obtained after March 12, 2010. The rule sought to negate the need for consumers to switch to or add another pay-TV operator because it had secured a monopoly on content.

Last October, SingTel said it had secured a non-exclusive deal with the Football Association Premier League (FAPL). This means it does not need to share its content with StarHub, which is free to negotiate its own EPL deal. But when attempts to negotiate its own set of rights were repeatedly thwarted, StarHub kicked the matter up to the regulator, alleging foul play and that SingTel's deal was in effect an exclusive one.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/mda-directs-singtel-share-epl-content-star...

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Esteemed Commentator
Solution

Re: BPL is coming back to StarHub!

Hello,

May I know for uefa champions league and fa cup, until which year does singtel have the rights to?

Does starhub plan to bid for these to encourage more subscribers to switch?

Thank you.

View solution in original post

161 REPLIES 161
Senior Advisor

Yes! Finally!

Now all eyes will be on Singtel since they are the one who will ultimately decide on the pricing and package.
Heard that Singtel is appealing to MCI to overturn MDA's decision. How is this even beneficial to us Singapore football fans??!
Respected Commentator

yeaahh! should have a good home coming celebration! Smiley Happy
Respected Advocate
Respected Advocate

Due to the cross carriage rules , this means that we will be watching LIVE BPL Matches on Starhub TV from next Season onwards for the next three Seasons via mio stadium Channels ( CH 102 To CH 110 ) , which is currently the case on SingTel miotv .

May I suggest and request that Starhub TV consider to show LIVE BPL Matches via mio stadium on Football Channel 222 , SuperSports Arena CH 201 , Supersports Channel 202 & Supersports PLUS CH 203 ? Then as for other BPL 10pm Matches on Saturdays , show it on FC 1 , FC 2 etc ... The same arrangement just like the last time when Starhub TV used to be showing LIVE BPL Matches ? Instead of having to create another Brand New Channel just for BPL Matches alone ... By creating a Brand New Channel just for BPL Matches alone , it could be a waste as other than showing LIVE BPL Matches on Match Days , most of the time the Channel would be showing Re - Runs after Re - Runs of the week's BPL Matches until the next Match Day then got LIVE Match to show ...

Wonder if this could be done under the cross carriage laws ? If it is possible , then please do kindly consider my Suggestions ! Thank You !

Administrator

Hi d,

Our competitor is the rights owner so they get to decide how they want to package the content and how much to charge football fans in Singapore. In fact, you will be billed directly by them if you choose to subscribe. 

Hope to get your understanding and thanks for your interest! Smiley Happy

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Hub Master

Hi StarHub Community

Are you excited about it?

========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Respected Advisor

Yes!

Trusted Commentator

Will starhub have the same amount of channels as mio now? 8 channels of BPL with 1 multi view.

And also UCL? If yes to both I will definitely come back starhub. Mio sucks 

New Commentator

Welcome back, waited for long time...

Administrator

Hey Clmc, thanks for your interest!

At this time, we have yet to get firm details on the number and type of channels to be cross carried.  However, we know that the cross-carriage rules require SingTel’s pricing for the BPL channels to be the same, regardless of whether a customer views the same on SingTel’s platform or our platform. At this time, we are unable to confirm if UEFA Champions League will be included. We will provide more information in due course.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.