Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed on 100mbps Cable Broadband

Highlighted
Home Networking Expert

Re: Slow speed on 100mbps Cable Broadband

@WizStarHubTech wrote:
Guys..please check your Window if you are running third party porgramme or anything.. Some cause of third party porgramme may cause the problem..like wise if you are sharing the internet with family members or Workers..friends..they may browse internet watch videos..and it would likely cause the problem..my home connection work 81.2mbs On Wi-Fi on Lan Cable it 101.10mbs Smiley Happy

I know if there are people using the bandwidth will reduce, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one using/testing at that hour

Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

I was excited to move over to the dual band 200 - cable and fiber broadband. But then, just now, after the technicians left, I checked the speed via ookla. It's the same 26.45 Mbps. It was the same speed when I was using 25 Mbps connection. Am not sure how the download speed was 26 when the conection was for 25 Mbps. But then, now after upgrading to 100 Mbps connection, it's still 26.45. I don't see any changes. Why did I then upgrade ?

Leaves me re-think why I am with Starhub for the past 8 years with all my connections - TV / Internet / Mobile - from Starhub. Unfortunately 2 years contract now.

Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

To add to the above ----- I am directly wired to the modem.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

is yr modem changed from 5121 to DCM712?

Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

Yes .... my modem is DCM 712. Dlink. Starhub replaced my modem for $59.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Mine was same, it took about 3-4 days for them to provision the new DCM712 modem (100mbps). Just login to your acount and check the MAC ID of MaxOnline Ultimate, if it's still showing the old one means u have to wait for them to update. Once it's updated u will get 100mbps.

Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

That was a great clue. I checked my online account and it still shows the old 25 Mbps mac id. I called up starhub and they confirmed that the new plan is yet to kick-in. Hopefully, I should be able to come back here and post good things about Starhub :-)

Thanks for that message @jasonxzx

Everyone's Tags (1)
Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

Called up Starhub. I can see the online account being updated with the new mac id. Now I tested. and have got a 100 mbps connection.

Thanks

Highlighted
New Commentator

I was offered 100 Mbps cable and 200 Mbps fiber.as starhub says after my contract expire, they no longer have 25 Mbps pakage and will charge me 49.95 for 100Mbps cable .......

I took up their offer thinking...........from 25Mbps to 100 Mbps plus fiber 200 Mbps, would be super fast........

After the tech ppl came and upgrade and install fiber..........

I tested both wifi,   for fiber which is i my hall,  from my room,  smetimes get lesser than 1 Mbps.......

worst than  before I upgrade..........

BUT the cable modemn Lan diect connection to PC managed to get 100.5Mbps..which is ok.........

Wifi speed test is slightly above 25 Mbps only... very far off from 100 Mbps......

and many a times at home, wifi is widely use so, have  a slower wifi does not make sense  after upgarding its a bit more like Pay more but get lesser speed via wifi Smiley Sad

Do I have to live  in such circumstances till my contract expres in 2 years time ? Smiley Sad 

For the hall one which is  fiber, tested the wifi at close p[roximity to the modem at best after many tes is about 50 Mbps.... when               go in my room test the wireless fiber..its terrible..can be lower then 1 Mbps....android speed test apps  sometimes does not move at all...or takes very long than move and show 0.03 Mbps Smiley Sad

Both cable modemn wireless and fiber modem wireless need to use near its modem than can get acceptable speed of 25-35 Mbps...

while the usages nearby the modem, the  speed of 25-35Mbps  is fast enough but  feel a bit short change though paid more...

from  25 Mbps cable package which i paid just $24.90, with the cable plus  fivber package of 100 Mbps cable and 200 Mbps fiber I pays $39.95, that increase of  about $15 but with no significant higher speed...Smiley Sad

Though direct cable LAN connection is fine... for both....

Fiber side cannot access from far else very very slow wifi or non detection..

cable modem's wireless via cisco, integrated wireless modemn quite ok...strenght but  can  get only 35 Mbps via wifi at best...

Anyone can advise how to get close to my subscribe  speed via wifi,  if can get 80-90 Mbps would be good and happy.........

Ayone can recommend a good wireless router that can give good wifi speed ?

Thanks

Highlighted
Veteran

@moneycow wrote:

Anyone can advise how to get close to my subscribe  speed via wifi,  if can get 80-90 Mbps would be good and happy.........

Ayone can recommend a good wireless router that can give good wifi speed ?

The Asus AC68U which I'm using can get 100Mbps with a newer phone like Note4 or iPhone6 in the same room (on 2.4GHz band).