Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed on 100mbps Cable Broadband

Highlighted
Valued Advocate

Slow speed on 100mbps Cable Broadband

Hello friends,

Searching around it sounds like others have had similar issues. I've had the 100mbps subscription to cable broadband internet but have never been able to clock more than 26 or 27 mbps download via speedtest using a wireless connection.

My 4G LTE comes in much faster than my wireless router at home, which makes me sad!

My router:

2014-03-24 10.15.56.png

My 4G LTE:

2014-03-24 10.12.47.png

I've had a technician come out and test out my connection and banged on walls and stuff but he said everything is normal. Why am I paying for 100mbps when I could have paid for 50 or less and gotten the same service?

Any tips or tricks to bump up my download speeds to the level I've paid for? I have not done a wired test yet.

Thanks for your tips and advice!

RickyS

39 REPLIES 39
Honored Commentator

Re: Slow speed on 100mbps Cable Broadband

I'm facing the same problem too is getting more worst since the beginning of this this year..
Valued Commentator

found a solution yet? i'm facing the same problem. just switched from Singtel to Starhub on 5th March. and seems like i made the wrong decision. the wireless connection is HORRIBLE!

Android™ Expert

May I know what router are you using? How is the connection on wired connection?

It seems like the router is not performing well to me.

Hello starhub,

I also encountered same problem here, It is terrible internet speed like Ping is over 200 ms, download is around 10-14 Mbps and upload is sometime up higher to 15-18 Mbps, sometime dropped to less than 1 Mbps.

My mobile 4G is too mush higher(30-50Mbps) than my home hubbing.

I signed up few weeks ago but It is terrible slow. My new router is cisco DPC3925.

My previous MaxOnline Express (15Mbps) is better that 100Mbps home hubbing plan.

I feel dispointed this service.

DWar

Valued Commentator

Hi,

Mine is worse

Download 6.5
Upload 2.5

Such a shameful service.

What can I do to get the service I paid for?

Sean
Home Networking Expert

@Sean Kim wrote:
Hi,

Mine is worse

Download 6.5
Upload 2.5

Such a shameful service.

What can I do to get the service I paid for?

Sean

Very simple, get a different router, that router was not meant to pump such wifi speed in the first place.

As a cable modem, it is delivering the service, but WIFI, it will NEVER reach that speed if you understand how WIFI works.

Valued Commentator

Hi,

Thanks for the tip.

But, I am using another device(Apple aiport extreme) for Wifi harewired to the Cisco router from Starhub. I disabled Wifi in the Cisco router.

When I tested from just near the airport extreme, the spees is still very slow. At some point of time in a day, sometimes, the speed really rarely went up to about 20M/s, but most of time it is around less than 10M/s for both upload and download. Prbably 9 out of 10.

I may contact customer service, but based on previous expeirence, all I get will be just 'no problem'.

Sean

Home Networking Expert

@Sean Kim wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the tip.

But, I am using another device(Apple aiport extreme) for Wifi harewired to the Cisco router from Starhub. I disabled Wifi in the Cisco router.

When I tested from just near the airport extreme, the spees is still very slow. At some point of time in a day, sometimes, the speed really rarely went up to about 20M/s, but most of time it is around less than 10M/s for both upload and download. Prbably 9 out of 10.

I may contact customer service, but based on previous expeirence, all I get will be just 'no problem'.

Sean

You can do this methodically, and you'll probably appreciate there is nothing wrong... If you tried the speedtest with a wire/cable, and can get the max full speed, then there is really nothing wrong with it.

Which version of apple extreme you're using? I'm using the 6th Gen AC, and could get 100Mbps (down)/10Mbps(up) while testing on iPhone 5S.

The key to get the full speed is you need to be connected to the Apple's (or any other brand) 5Ghz band, and your device must also support it. There are a lot of device (even new one) still came with 2.4Ghz band. At this band, the best I could get is 20-30Mbps...

Even older device that support 5Ghz may not get you the full speed, e.g. using the exact test environment, my iPad 3 (on 5Ghz band) could only max out at about 40Mbps, while testing with iPhone 5S immediately jump back up to 100Mbps (I believe it can go further, but cable modem could only deliver 100Mbps).

To know whether you are connected to 2.4 or 5Ghz, you need to recognise the MacID, or set different SSID for 2.4 & 5Ghz.

And since you're using separate router, you might just want to set the cisco to bridge mode and let Apple router do everything (which is what I did). In bridge mode, only Port 1 of CIsco is working, and you connect cable from there to your Apple WAN port.

Honored Contributor

Mine 100mbs StarHub plan is working well ?

Download 79MBs
Upload. 24mbs

Can't guess so why you guys are having this problems ..