GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed on 100mbps Cable Broadband

Valued Advocate

Re: Slow speed on 100mbps Cable Broadband

I subscribe to 100mb cable modem service and get very close to and sometimes exceed 100. Also using an Asus router and very happy with it. In my old place I used the default router starhub gave us and never got close to 100. Maybe 30mb tops.

Valued Commentator

Upgraded my Fibre Broadband plan to Dual Broadband one week ago. No problems with the Fibre as I'm getting close to the subscribed speed even on Wifi. 

For the cable broadband, I was supposed to be getting 100mb but only was able to hit around 25mb even when plugged directly via Lan initially after installation. After reading the comments here, I realised that it was due to my MAC address not updated yet on my account. Took Starhub more than one week for my account to be updated and now am able to hit over 90mb on Lan and 74mb on WIFI, although it took quite long for Starhub to update, nevertheless I am pleased to be getting speed close to what I actually paid for. 

laf
Respected Contributor

my results are pathetic:

connected directly to modem via ethernet cable, modem off then on before the test

New Commentator

I subscribed to this plan earlier this year, was ok at first and....Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 12.02.04 AM.png

Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Kiew,

Is your connection is directly from your cable modem to your PC?

If it is connected via router, try direct connection from the cable modem to your PC, if the speed is still low, than do call our tech support at 1633 for further assistance.

Thanks

Santosh

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

New Commentator

Mine also recently upgrade to dual bb from just 25mbps cable. As SH wrote to me about auto auto switching to 100mbps cable after contract end n need to pay 49.90$ by default ...if I do not accept upgrade to the dual bb package at 39.90$.. Was paying just 24.90$ before this ... So its n increase payment of 15$...

Cable was ok.. But the fiber bb as the modem is placed at one corner of my place where the terminal is. And placed lowly on my TV console.

After searching n reading info in view of trying to do self help, I found this forum. One of the post advised to re position the modem n place it higher. I realised that when the SH guy came install the light converter n new modem for fiber. He provided quite a long though very thin ... Optical cable tight up neatly. I loosen it up n was able to shift the finer internet set over to the other side. And placed on top of my tall floor standing speaker. Now every where in my room I have good dual band signal. N realised its not solely the modem problem. Its the area n height we place the modem that would either help or hinders the internet signals.

Just to share n I must say , though now I pay 15$ more reluctantly at first... I am happy with the WiFi n direct connection.

Cable when connect direct with cat5e cable it can provide slight above 105Mbit/s signal... N fiber when connected with lan capable of. Gigabit ...ability modem... Tested is above my subscribed speed of 200Mbit /s... N installation n modem for fiber network are free .

I am very happy n satisfy .

Thanks to Starhub.
I am glad they provide the dual bb offer n is happy with the speed. Looking forward to upgrade to the gigs byte speed after this contract if there are good offers again.

Cheers.
Valued Commentator

Mine not that bad leh... 107mb UP, 107 mb DOWN... but its not an actual representation... When I download files like Battlefield from Origin my speed goes down to 2 mb/s, or if I am downloading through Chrome its a lot slower [sometimes KB]

Veteran

@Intel_Xeon_E5 wrote:

Mine not that bad leh... 107mb UP, 107 mb DOWN... but its not an actual representation... When I download files like Battlefield from Origin my speed goes down to 2 mb/s, or if I am downloading through Chrome its a lot slower [sometimes KB]

Are you using fibre or cable broadband?

The 100Mbps cable broadband upload speed is max 10Mbps only.

Valued Commentator

Fibre

Highlighted
Grand Guru

Intel_Xeon_E5 wrote:

For downloading, it depend on the website restriction, and other connections it have to go thru.

Also, most of the files are in another location "Server" &or Cloud (i still do not understand about this).

I almost daily download big files, and i restrict to 3 files as the limit per session.

Else if more than 3 files, the download will definitely slow down.

You can measure by trial and error.