Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Change my wifi router?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

Should I Change my wifi router?

I just subscrible to 200Mbps broadband.  I am using my old 802.11n dual band wifi router.  

Speed check shows average of 80-110mbps for local site and 20-40mbps for international site.  I am using speed check from Ookla. test was done on 5Ghz bandwidth and standing next to the router with no obstruction or interference.

Is this speed acceptable? Starhub webiste claims that on average I should achieve 100mbps and above for international site.

I should get the new Dlink router to improve speed? or it would make any difference?

Anyone can advise?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Should I Change my wifi router?

Most of your questions can be answered and found in Ookla website itself.

>> Ookla Speedtest faq help

Location of server.

To select a specific server is to test at one server on several occasion and using it as mean of measurements.

Server do not necessary meant to be local or not, a it depend on the hosting sites that the server sit on.

It can be subjective to say as local and international.

Ookla is consider as  "The Global Broadband Speed Test" and internet has no clear boundary.

And not to forget that timing do affect as in peak period, for example.

If you read in the info, the average of 25Mbps is enough for video streaming in HD/4k definition.

So, the download of 100Mbps is far more acceptable and there should not be an issue.

Any issue is due to the transmission, server busy or not, etc; and other interference.

But video streaming is always stable as it download more data into the buffer on your computer.

Most video servers have already upgrade their connection for easy streaming in HD/4k.

For YouTube, there are existing software able to download the full video within seconds to your computer and you can watch it offline.

These software go directly to YouTube servers to download the video.

I spend most of my time watching video either streaming or downloading it first.

You need to use your current router to see if there is any lag, but there should not be any issue.

Even in most countries, many are still using 25mbps broadband and still able to surf, streaming and visit forums and other websites without issue.

It is our gov that wanted us to move upwards and at the same time infrastructure is still continue to improve, so occasionally hippup may happen now and then, but may not be.

So far in my case since using broadband for 20+ years, i do not faced any connection issue at all.

My connection issue is due to me "playing" and "testing" on my devices; but should i did encountered, a simple call to the tech support line to refresh my IP will resolved these issues.

Others could probably due to settings, which i never want to "play"; and vicinity cabling issues.

As Cable broadband is solely owned by Starhub and they have to maintain, but this will end within next 5 years or so.

Lastly do not read too closely on speedtest result, as this is a guide.

In reality, for example, fibre broadband at 1Gbps do not mean it stay fast while surfing.

A lot will depend on connecting connections and servers that store info and video.

For example if your visit to a website may use western route, but another user may be using eastern route.

This is not to be too dependant on one route but there are several routes and lay by several companies who have investment on this network infrastructures.

There are many users on Cable broadband who are very satisfied, as they could be the same type of users as you.

It is not for Gamers.

Regards
Eric.

10 REPLIES
Community Manager

Hi @ Drizzlemie

Have you tried to speed test your broadband speeds when you're connected via lan to your modem and not your router?

- Amy
Grand Master

Hi  @ Drizzlemie

Whatever stated are usually in Theory and hence may not be up to that kind of speed.

It is also depend on the devices and the connecting cables and points.

For more info on your 802.11n router, link; >> Wireless Technologies & Limitations

The speedtest i had done using the 200Mbps Cable Broadband with new & supplied modem & cables.

For  802.11n router; >>  Download about 100Mbps and Upload about 10Mbps.

For  802.11ac Router >>  Download up to 210Mbps and Upload about 10Mbps.

Using Samsung Galaxy S6 with 5GHz band.

Hence your speedtest show it is correct in your case.

I am not starhub staff &or related to.

Grand Master

A minor correction to your speedtest result.

When you are using Ookla speedtest, it is considered as International speedtest.

Ookla will search for best server worldwide and not local.

That is to say, it exit Starhub connection.

Local speedtest is via Starhub Local speedtest within Starhub connection.

Your result:

"80-110mbps for local site and 20-40mbps for international site"

>> Should read as  Download 80 - 100Mbps and Upload 20 - 40Mbps.

Speedtest is done by Download and Upload and nothing to do with local or international site.

Hence, as i had mentioned, your result is correct for using that 802.11n router.

I am not starhub staff &or related to.

Esteemed Commentator

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your inputs.

Yes, I did.  When conected directly via LAN to the modem, I manage to reach 180-200Mbps on speed test to local site.

I just thought on wifi, the speed appears low so I wonder if I should spend extra money to get a AC router.  

Community Manager

The top speeds provided by the router are often those supported by the router. Per our Community Guru @eric3743's recommendations, there appears to be nothing wrong with the speeds you're seeing.

You may consider upgrading your router if you desire higher speeds via WiFi. 

- Amy
Esteemed Commentator

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your inputs.

To clarify, I select the server location when I conduct the test.  Both local and international server was tested.

The speed for local server seem to have fallen when i did another yesterday compared to the test I did on 9 july.

IMG_3894.PNGIMG_3895.PNGIMG_3896.PNGIMG_3897.PNG

Esteemed Commentator

Hi Eric,

The speed achieve by the AC router, are usually speed for transfering large files?  If I use my broadband primarily for surfing, video, audio streaming etc, what speed is needed?  

Example: AC router that can achieve 200Mbps but in reality AC router is not required because the speed needed for steaming is XXMbps per device. (say less then 5Mbps per steam)

I trying to understand if my requirement requires me upgrade to AC router or N router is good enough.

Thank you.

Esteemed Commentator

another question. The speedtest you get from the AC router, are they local or overseas?
Grand Master
Solution

Most of your questions can be answered and found in Ookla website itself.

>> Ookla Speedtest faq help

Location of server.

To select a specific server is to test at one server on several occasion and using it as mean of measurements.

Server do not necessary meant to be local or not, a it depend on the hosting sites that the server sit on.

It can be subjective to say as local and international.

Ookla is consider as  "The Global Broadband Speed Test" and internet has no clear boundary.

And not to forget that timing do affect as in peak period, for example.

If you read in the info, the average of 25Mbps is enough for video streaming in HD/4k definition.

So, the download of 100Mbps is far more acceptable and there should not be an issue.

Any issue is due to the transmission, server busy or not, etc; and other interference.

But video streaming is always stable as it download more data into the buffer on your computer.

Most video servers have already upgrade their connection for easy streaming in HD/4k.

For YouTube, there are existing software able to download the full video within seconds to your computer and you can watch it offline.

These software go directly to YouTube servers to download the video.

I spend most of my time watching video either streaming or downloading it first.

You need to use your current router to see if there is any lag, but there should not be any issue.

Even in most countries, many are still using 25mbps broadband and still able to surf, streaming and visit forums and other websites without issue.

It is our gov that wanted us to move upwards and at the same time infrastructure is still continue to improve, so occasionally hippup may happen now and then, but may not be.

So far in my case since using broadband for 20+ years, i do not faced any connection issue at all.

My connection issue is due to me "playing" and "testing" on my devices; but should i did encountered, a simple call to the tech support line to refresh my IP will resolved these issues.

Others could probably due to settings, which i never want to "play"; and vicinity cabling issues.

As Cable broadband is solely owned by Starhub and they have to maintain, but this will end within next 5 years or so.

Lastly do not read too closely on speedtest result, as this is a guide.

In reality, for example, fibre broadband at 1Gbps do not mean it stay fast while surfing.

A lot will depend on connecting connections and servers that store info and video.

For example if your visit to a website may use western route, but another user may be using eastern route.

This is not to be too dependant on one route but there are several routes and lay by several companies who have investment on this network infrastructures.

There are many users on Cable broadband who are very satisfied, as they could be the same type of users as you.

It is not for Gamers.

Regards
Eric.