GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recontract current 100mbps cable to 200mbps cable.

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

Recontract current 100mbps cable to 200mbps cable.

Hi, I am interested in recontracting my current 100mbps cable to the 200mbps plan. I understand you are issuing a D-Link modem for sign-ups but i am wondering whether its possible at all to continue using my current Cisco dpc3925 on the 200mbps plan. Problem being the D-Link modem only has 1 ethernet port and i would prefer not having a seperate modem and router setup. 

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Senior Consultant

Re: Recontract current 100mbps cable to 200mbps cable.

Hi Kelvin, the new MOL 200mbps plan requires to use with the new Dlink modem DCM-3012G issued as the old modem DPC-3925 is not compatible. Hence, u will need to purchase a separate router for wifi/multi lan usage.
Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

Thanks for the reply. Just need confirmation as hardware wise, the dpc3925 should have no problems supporting speeds above 100mbps. So does it mean this incompatibility is a limitation on starhub's side? In this case upgrading to the 200mbps plan is out of the question for me.
Highlighted
Grand Guru

Hi  @Kelvin_Lo

A bit more clear info for you on this 200Mbps Cable broadband, which i had sign-up last week and done several testing.

I am referring to the latest promotion on 200Mbps Cable Broadband on 12 months contract at $29.90 with free modem supplied.

Firstly, when you subscribe to this 200Mbps Cable Broadband contract, these are what you need to know:

1.  At the point of issue on this modem, the connection is based on modem MAC address which will identify the subscriber's address.

Cable network was bought over from previous Cable Company and so under Starhub control.

If you change the modem, then you have to provide the MAC of the modem you intend to use.

But the next issue is that there may not guarantee on the speed as using another modem.

But since this modem is provided as free, might as well make full use of it.

2.  Coaxial Cable is provided free to ensure you do not need additional items for this cable broadband.

Do ensure your cable point able to accept this type of coaxial cable.

3.  LAN cable is provided free, which is Cat-5E for speed above 100+Mbps.

Older LAN cable may be Cat-5 for speed up to 100Mbps, which cater for the 100Mbps cable broadband.

So, in other word it is best to use the supplied equipment and cables as should there be any issue, Starhub will have to resolve it for you.

With regard to the speed, the download is 200+Mbps but the upload would be +20Mbps, in my test.

4.  Should you need to have wireless, then you can add the router to the modem LAN connector.

For used router, it is best to do Reset the router before use, as there could be previous setting may not be suitable &or compatible.

i am not starhub staff &or related to.

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

Again, thanks for the reply and i know its best to utilize the modem supplied but thats not pertaining to what i am asking. My question is explicitly with regards to whether the cisco dpc3925 can work on the 200mbps plan, and if yes, will i be able to achieve max speeds. Would really appreciate if a starhub tech or admin for these boards can provide a definitive answer. Thank you.
Highlighted
Grand Guru

Regarding to the DPC 3925 Cable modem, it support 200Mbps.

Refer to the manual, link; >> DPC 3925 Cable modem

Connection:

1000/100/10BASE-T Ethernet ports

>> This means it support up to 1000 Mbps.

Hope this help you.

Highlighted
Grand Guru

Hi  @Amy_Law

Please do check and confirm.

Thanks

Eric.

Senior Consultant

Hi eric3743,

theoretically, DPC-3925 can support 200mbps, however, my friend who recontract his 100mbps cable to 200mbps was ask to change over to new modem as DPC-3925 have compatibility issue with the new plan.

Kelvin_Lo, if you go for recontract, be mentallity prepare u may need to buy a separate router =)

Highlighted
Grand Guru

Hi  Incredibleha0,

Yes i do understand his problem.

But this DPC-3925 give cable broadband subscribers headaches, as example a link;

>> Cable 100Mbps with CISCO DCP3925

Beside this thread with so many posts, there are many other threads as many not happy with this package.

This could be the reason that Starhub now offer another type of modem only, instead of that problematic.

Also he want to retain the wireless as this is act like a router.

But there is a possibility to use this DCP3925 as the router, as an option.

In the past when i subscribe to cable broadband i was given Motorola modem + DLink DIR-615 N300 router (2.4GHz, as not many devices capable of 5GHz yet).

Hence i did not encountered any issue in low speed at all since day-1, so continue to use Starhub cable broadband, till with Fibre TP installed and then sign-up Fibre broadband from early 2014.

As the DCM-3012G upload speed is too low, i may have to get either DCM-712 (thru Rewards) or better, as my Motorola was given away never expect to sign-up cable broadband again.

Hope your friend do able to find a solution.

Regards

Eric.

Highlighted
Alumni (Retired)

Hi @ Kelvin_Lo and @ eric3743

The only router that StarHub has deemed compatible with the 200 Mbps plan is the D-Link DCM 3012G Voice-Enabled Cable Modem shown at http://bit.ly/2snlZqy. 

We don't recommend using previous modems to avoid potential speed or configuration issues.

- Amy