cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxonline 100 Mbps / 50Mbps

Honored Commentator

Maxonline 100 Mbps / 50Mbps

Hi,

I have been searching all over for the specification of the devices that is provided with Maxonline cable broadband plans. Called up Starhub customer care with no luck, appreciate if anyone could please help me find the answers to the below.

1. Device specification for  Maxonline cable braodband 100 Mbps / 50 Mbps speeds? If its Cisco 3925, can I opt for a different model, if yes what are the models available?

2. If I dont want the devices purchased from StarHub (free with the contract or not), what are the best recommendations that I can search for in the market for optimal performance (Wi-Fi is the priority for a small 800sqft apartment) and how much points can I obtain for not taking the device (if free with contract).

Appreciate your help. Thank you !!

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Home Networking Expert

Re: Maxonline 100 Mbps / 50Mbps

At a bare minimum, you will need to have a cable modem, be it the DPC3925 or not. If you don't want the wifi function, you can set it to bridge mode which make it just a regular cable modem (only LAN1 is working, I believe)... so you can still plug whatever wifi router you want to it.

Asus seems to be popular, but the supplied DIR-865L is decent enough for my place, >1000 sqft... But then again I don't have many walls in between, so may not be applicable.. and I place the router fairly high up, about 2m from the floor Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Commentator

Highlighted
Honored Commentator

Hi kon_sg

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been reading reviews about the DPC3925 and dont want to risk going for it. Wanted to know the alternatives SH could provide with the contract. Do you mean they actually provide the option to go for DIR-865L. What are the additional hardware that i need to purchase if thats the case and how much would it cost ? Thank you again for your help

Highlighted
Home Networking Expert

865L seems to be the standard issue router esp for Fiber customer, not sure about cable customer, maybe same.

Even if you take the 865L you STILL need a cable modem, I'm not sure if they are still giving the Motorola one (i doubt), and those i believe cannot hit 100Mbps also (older tech)... 

The DPC3925 is bad with wifi, but as bridge mode, I guess it's "okay"... either way, you need to have 2 devices, coz all-in-one sucks Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Honored Commentator

I could feel it from the reviews.

Someone from SH could perhaps could confirm whats the options available for me. Is it usual with ISP's they dont mention it in the portals ? Appreciate if someone could please help me with it.

Thank you once again kon_sg.

Highlighted
Home Networking Expert