cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep disconnecting after change to Fibre Broadband

Senior Commentator

Keep disconnecting after change to Fibre Broadband

Hi,

After change to optical Fibre broadband service (last Saturday), the connection keep breaking, even I  use LAN cable connect my PC to Dlink router. 

The Skype keep disconnecting every 10mins or so, then logon 1 or 2 mins later. During the 1 or 2 mins, the chrome is not able to open any website. I use Skype for morning teleconference, the randomly disconnecting is really frustrating and reduce the effectiveness. 

Before I change to Fibre, I used cable and never had this problem. Try to call 1633, 15mins no one pick up, so have to give up.

anyone have similar problem? Or anyone know how to fix this? Or I need to change back to cable or other service providers. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Alumni (Retired)

Re: Keep disconnecting after change to Fibre Broadband

Hello VictorLi176A, 

One way to isolate the issue to check if it is related to a hardware (router) problem is to a direct connection your ONT to you laptop/desktop via LAN cable and test out the connectivity.

If no issue encountered, is likely the router may be faulty.

Test it out and let us know how it goes. 

Thanks 

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

Senior Commentator

Hi Santosh,

I have tried to connect to ONT via LAN, the disconnecting still happen. BTW, I also tried to use different LAN cable, restart the router, restart ONT, I even tried different PCs with different OS (MacOS and Windows). The disconnecting keep coming back. The Diagnostice software shows there is invalid IP. From this forum, seems it's a frequent issue for Fibre users. One of my collegues also had the same problem. He only get fix after he called 1633. I called 1633 for tech support, but waited for 20mins and no one take my call, then I gave up. 

Do you have any other suggestions that I can try? Thank you!

Grand Guru

Hi  @VictorLi176A

If the ONT direct to computer and the problem still exist.

When this happen at that moment, do glance at the ONT to check if there is a red led appear on "LOC".

If yes, then you have to let @Santosh Rai know to check on their end.

Always take a look at that "LOC" on having connection problem.

If no, then do this method.

The yellow fibre cable between the TP and ONT.

Do note that you have to hold the green end to do this.

At both green end hold it and push in firmly, no force.

If not, you can pull out and push in firmly, as only 1 direction.

Also is to ensure this yellow fibre cable has a bigger loop and not to tight it too tight, as this is sensitive, as according to technician staff on me having this problem.

The LAN cable, check on the cable itself for stated as Cat 5e or Cat 6, preferred.

As for the IP issue.

As this is your 1st time on fibre, sometimes it may take a while to resolve this.

Switch off the ONT and wait for a period of time, say, 5 minutes or more. (Maybe an hour or more, as to remove the IP out of your way, in 'my' purpose.)

Connect the LAN cable to computer, try not to switch on first;

Switch on ONT and wait. Then switch on the computer.

For testing, using Starhub speedtest, link;

Starhub Local Speedtest    To test and check connection.

Starhub International Speedtest   For Int'l speedtest, optional for testing.

Do bookmark for occassion check the speed; not to use other speedtest.

Using this forum link is not a good test, as this website page is rather slow.

What i provide above is based on connection direct to ONT.

If this is fine, the next is the router, which may not have any issue, since your issue start from ONT.

As for 'my' method, it is based on what i had done on troubleshooting connection issue.

The delay for hours then switch on the ONT is to get another IP Address.

The speedtest is to confirm if this IP Address do provide stable connection.

If this IP Address is reliable & stable, suggest not to switch off both ONT and router. As this is only way to hold the connection as active and belong to you.

If you switch off at the end of the day, the next time you connect may get another IP Address and stable is subjective.

If the IP suddenly become problematic, then repeat and get another IP.

I am not expert on this matter, but my way on giving me reliable & stable connection.

Your decision.

--------------------------------

I am not Starhub staff &or related to. 

Alumni (Retired)

Hi @VictorLi176A,

Thanks for sharing your troubleshooting steps.

Please PM us your account information including contact details and we will get our support team to assist you accordingly.

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!