GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLink DIR-880L & Cisco DPC3925 (cable) in bridge mode

Senior Commentator

DLink DIR-880L & Cisco DPC3925 (cable) in bridge mode

Hey guys I'm feeling a bit special. Until this evening I quite happily had my dlink 605L setup with the Cisco modem in bridge mode. However, I went out and bought the 880L as my Wi-Fi just seemed to be getting worse and worse. Anyway, after trying to mimic the previous settings with the DPC in bridge mode, the 880L refused to find an internet connection. Everything is working fine with the DPC in router mode but I'd rather have it set to bridge. I'm not sure if Starhub are needed to make some changes as this is a newer router. The other thing I noticed was the MAC clone on the 880L - I never used to have this on the 605L - it was simply left blank. Any advice would be appreciated before I pick up the phone to SH and go through the whole 'turn if off and turn it back on'approach. Cheers James
4 REPLIES 4
Respected Contributor

Re: DLink DIR-880L & Cisco DPC3925 (cable) in bridge mode

Hi James,

Let me try to understand your issue here...

You bought a new DIR880L.

Your DPC3925 > Bridged router (To be used as a modem only)?.

Your DIR880L > Main router.

Am I right on this?

If yes,

then...

What you can try to do, is to disable the wireless on the DPC3925, & set the operating mode to "Bridge".

Once that is done, connect your RJ45 from the internet port of the DIR880L to any of the LAN ports of the DPC3925.

Connect your RJ45 from your laptop to your DIR880L and head over to the admin page & you can start configuring your router from there. (:

Hope it helps you.

Cheers! (:

Faris Alvin Lim

*Note: My posts are not in anyway directly related to StarHub, but rather as an individual's opinion.*

*Note: My posts are not in anyway directly related to StarHub, but rather as an individual's opinion.*
Senior Commentator

Hey Alvin

Thanks for responding.

That's exactly it. The DPC is to act as modem only with the DIR880L as the main router.

I've tried changing the DPC to bridged from the admin page and this is where the DIR880L fails to pick up the internet.

This is exactly the setup I had with the old router so I should be able to work it out but for whatever reason I'm struggling.

Cheers

James

Senior Commentator

And interestingly I've just tried all of these steps again and it's now working as I wanted it to. How strange.

Alvin - thanks for keeping me sane.
Respected Contributor

Hi James,

Apologies for the late reply, wasn't around lately. glad that I could be of help (: Hahaha!

Cheers! (:

Faris Alvin Lim