Re: Wi-Fi Range extender cannot work with Starhub DPC3925

I am not sure of the compatibility.

@IncTEh and @rsn
You have any idea?
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Android™ Expert

sorry, no experience with cisco products..

Ok. Maybe the better question is what WiFi Extenders work with the Cisco device that Starhub distribute and do I need to make any changes on the Cisco device to enable this?

Senior Commentator

Re: Cisco RE1000 Range extender cannot work with Starhub DPC3925

Hi there

I had the same problems and gave up with the Starhub support and purchased some TP-Link Powerline devices. These plug into your electrical outlets and transmit the Internet over your existing electrical cabling.

I have one in a socket near my router and the others in the rooms I want wired and/or wifi connections.

http://www.tp-link.sg/products/?categoryid=206&ref=pline

Home Networking Expert

What is your wireless security settings? WPA2 with only AES? Can you tell us in detail what problem you are facing? Are you able to connect your extender to cisco WiFi?

Esteemed Commentator

It is WPA or WPA2-Personal with AES. The problem is that when I plug my extenders in to the socket I cannot see them.

Esteemed Commentator

Thanks Iain.  Did you reuse the Cisco router or did you need to buy the full starter kit? Can you let me know exactly what you bought as I think you are a little more advanced than me!

Senior Commentator

@Iain_Martin wrote:

Hi there

I had the same problems and gave up with the Starhub support and purchased some TP-Link Powerline devices. These plug into your electrical outlets and transmit the Internet over your existing electrical cabling.

I have one in a socket near my router and the others in the rooms I want wired and/or wifi connections.

http://www.tp-link.sg/products/?categoryid=206&ref=pline

Hi Iain. Could you give me an idea of price? And the exact models? Many thanks

Senior Commentator

@Iain_Martin wrote:

Hi there

Hi Iain. Could you give me an idea of price? And the exact models? Many thanks

Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Hi guys,

I am looking for guidance on this subject as well.

I have a Starhub issued Cisco model (DPC3925) modem **bleep** router. Unfortunately, there are areas in my residence where I experience a low wifi signal and hence would like to increase the coverage by installing  a Wifi Extender.

I spoke to the Starhub customer service officer (Shobha) manning the Starhub cable broadband technical helpline seeking guidance on the compatible device but as expected, she was of absolutely no help choosing instead to ask me to call Cisco.

I proceeded to do some online research on Wifi Extenders and settled for DLink DAP-1520 Wireless AC750 Dual Band Range Extender as it supported both the 2.4GHz (same as my modem/router) and 5GHz bands.

I bought the device, followed the instructions but was unable to sync it with the Starhub issued Cisco modem / router. Based on this thread, it doesn't come as a surprise it didn't sync despite trying both the WPS or the manual set-up instructions provided!

Any ideas if the DLink wifi extender mentioned is compatible to the modem/router I have been issued? If it is, any tips on how to troubleshoot it to connect to my main router? In the event it is not compatible, any idea which brand/model of wifi extender is compatible?

Thanks in advance!