musicphotolife's profile
Hubbernauts

Hubbernauts

• 

148 Messages

Sat, Mar 28, 2020 6:00 PM

Nokia WiFi Beacon 1 Review: StarHub Smart WiFi in Singapore (Part 1)

Nokia WiFi Beacon 1 makes its debut in Singapore through a partnership with StarHub, called Smart WiFi. Nokia consumer routers are unheard of in this country and readers may be wondering if Nokia routers are any good. I’m pleased that the overall experience is more positive than some of the established home networking brands I’ve reviewed over the years. The Beacon 1 has a retail price of S$199. StarHub 1Gbps Broadband Plans with 24-month contract comes with one unit free, while the 2Gbps plans and HomeHub plans come with two units included in the subscription. Additional units can be purchased at S$120 or S$5 per month over 24 months.

Nokia WiFi Beacon 1 StarHub Exclusive review by musicphotolife.com Singapore tech blog

Why Mesh Router

Mesh routers definitely performs better than a single-unit wireless router by extending coverage across the house instead of transmitting WiFi signal from a single source, unless your apartment layout is such that the router is in the centre and can reach to all parts of the house equally. Even so, the doors should be open so that the signal will not be blocked.

I definitely recommend that you switch to mesh router, even though the specs may not be as high as traditional router, they are more stable when your devices are further away from the main router.

The Nokia Beacon 1 supports hybrid backhaul, meaning it will auto-switch between wireless extender mode and direct Ethernet cable. Wired backhaul is even better because the data will transfer through cables to each mesh unit instead of through wireless. If your home has Ethernet ports in all your rooms, the Beacon 1 will definitely deliver better experience. For my review, I am using wireless backhaul as I do not have Ethernet ports in my rooms.

Nokia WiFi Beacon 1 StarHub Exclusive review by musicphotolife.com Singapore tech blog

Unboxing and Setting Up

The Nokia Beacon 1 comes sealed but upon opening, the protective cover of the Beacon 1 unit is loose. The StarHub Product Manager informed me that they tested the first batch to make sure all are in working condition, so rest assured these are not refurbished units. There was also no custom firmware installed, so the units can be used with any service provider, though I’m not sure if there are any peculiar setup by other broadband providers which causes compatibility issues. For instance, Google WiFi could not work with SingTel Broadband due to VLAN tagging.

Setting up takes about 10 minutes, just install Nokia WiFi smartphone app and follow the on-screen instructions.

Actually, there is even a faster way, which is to plug the Beacon 1 to your router, start it up, until the LED turns blue. Then, from your smartphone, access the Beacon 1 default network name and password. Finally, start the Nokia WiFi smartphone app and select "Add Beacon".

If your smartphone comes with intelligent WiFi feature (which will switch from WiFi to mobile data automatically when no Internet traffic is detected), please disable it because the smartphone must connect to the Beason 1’s node directly to configure. One way is to disable mobile data before starting the setup, or if you find the setup is not progressing at the Beacon detection stage, manually reconnect to the Nokia Beacon 1’s Wi-Fi network.

Nokia WiFi app

During my setup process, I registered a new Nokia WiFi account, which required me to check my email to verify before I could proceed. With this Nokia WiFi account, I should be able to monitor my Nokia Beacon 1 network from anywhere outside the home network using Nokia WiFi app. After the mesh setup is completed, then the app gave you an option to rename the Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and password, which I highly recommend you do that as these are factory defaulted values.

Nokia WiFi app

Setting up subsequent units are more straightforward. Just go to the side menu and select “Add Beacon”.

The Beacon 1 comes with separate WAN and LAN port that are not interchangeable, unlike many other mesh products. This is a disappointing feature and I hope Nokia can change this in future firmware. Because of this limitation, I had one fewer LAN port to use on my mesh nodes. My resolution is to bring out an unused wireless router and plug it to the Beacon 1, turning it into a network switch with 4 LAN ports.

... to be continued in Part 2 - Detailed Experience and Verdict.

MusicPhotoLife.com
Twitter/Instagram: @musicdiary

1 Message

• 

1 Point

1 y ago

This router is giving me alot of problems with peripheral devices not connecting to the Wifi. Is anyone else having the same issue? So ipads/TV/Laptops connect fine...but FitBits, smartwatches, chromecast, airplay printers etc...are not connecting

1 Message

• 

1 Point

Yes having many issues with connection. Sometime lost connection while watching youtube on smart tv. Called the customer service, they said they can’t do anything, and was told nothing is wrong! I even thought my printer was having some issues, and bought another one. But same problem with connection with the new printer. Then I knew must be the wifi! Same for my sound system. Have to off and on switch to connect wifi. Ported to them recently. Definitely will look for other service provider once the 2nd contract finishes. Unfortunately....

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @user_37c49b, we're very sorry that we haven't met your service expectation. Let me just share that as each home is different, the number of units needed depends on various factors such as housing type, size and internet usage. If the first unit of Smart WiFi is located at the entrance of your home, more units of the Smart WiFi is recommended for the best WiFi coverage. 

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

2 Messages

• 

2 Points

I have the same problem. With the Nokia Beacon, My wireless printers kept losing their connectivity after few days. Happens to my Canon and Brother printers. Connecting them to old Linksys EA7500 or D-lInk DIR-850L router no problem. Any local devices will intermittently fail connection if connect to the Nokia Router, CCTV, TV-BOX, printers, same problem.

After Nokia tech support done a remote access to check on the problem, they confirm is a known bugs of the Nokia Beacon 1, a firmware update is available to fix the problem but needs Starhub to push out OTA, expected sometime in May 2021. Nokia had release a newer firmware version in Jan 2021, April 2021 but till now our Nokia firmware still remain at Sept 2020 version. Starhub, when can we have the new firmware please. Thanks.

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @user_99262a, unfortunately, we don't have any updates yet regarding the new firmware. But, we will pass your feedback to our relevant team. Thank you. 

~ Carla

Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.

2 Messages

• 

2 Points

Latest firmware just released on 19 May 2021 and it fixed known bugs. May I know when do Starhub pushing out the update. My version is already 9 months old.
Thanks & regards

1 Message

• 

1 Point

1 y ago

hi can i check.. since it currently provides only 1 LAN port, is it possible to get a switcher/ethernet hub or splitter connector* to provide multiple LAN ports for ethernet connection directly to my desktops?

*https://shopee.sg/product/129877943/2271000792

5 Messages

• 

5 Points

Yes get a powered gigabit ethernet switch.

5 Messages

• 

5 Points

https://shopee.sg/product/96879386/3904054831?smtt=0.143087890-1605312638.9

5 Messages

• 

2 Points

1 y ago

Hi,

Counter to what you had written, Starhub Smart Wifi is the worst Wifi I had. Instead of helping, it had given me a lots of issues since day one. I had dropped internet signal practically several time every day.

Regards,

Kenny

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @KennyNg, we're genuinely sorry for what you're experiencing. Did you already contact my colleagues for further technical assistance? 

~ Carla

Explorer

• 

1 Message

• 

1 Point

1 y ago

Same here, I Was super happy with google wifi never had a dropped connection and then I got this thinking Starhub's claim "Still Got It", with a 2 beacon setup, I can't get reception/speed on all the rooms but the only living room is good enough. That too keeps dropping connection! I am super frustrated as I was the fool who paid extra to get an additional beacon! I might have to throw these away and switch back to Google Wifi! Such a waste! 

Just to be clear, I called support a few times and they did a "reset" multiple times to remove any bottlenecks but still getting dropped connections.

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @Faisalee, we sincerely apologise for the unpleasant experience. We understand that you are frustrated about this. Please know it's not our intention to make things difficult for you. Your feedback is important to us, and we are continuously working to provide you with a better service. Thank you. 

~ Carla

2 Messages

• 

2 Points

@Faisalee

I just switch from Singtel to Starhub, thinking that my internet connection will be much better since they got 2 beacon. And to my surprised it got worst, last time even if I close the door  of my room I can still get connected , now even the 2nd beacon in my room, connection got lost...now the problem is my daughter need to go out and do online study in the living room. before that inside her room

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @user_819380, I'm sorry to hear about this. Just to check, have you tried to reboot both your ONT and router to see if the issue persists? 

~ Carla

Dabbler

• 

4 Messages

• 

4 Points

1 y ago

on internet dropped connection... same over here. My home internet has experienced months of dropped connection, about twice per day since wife & son WFH. Called 1633  twice (1st in Oct, 2nd this month) & they have send tech to replace modem & SCV devices etc but not my yr2016 router, claimed that I need to pay for the router. Dont understand why I have re contracted many cycles of 2-yr contract yet Starhub failed to upgraded my router (most likely culprit of dropped connection per the tech assessment). My family 3 Starhub mobile lines are v stable & good.

Starhub Customer Service team was polite but hopeless & not helpful in resolving my "dropped connection"  issue,  feel like they are passing the ball around, feel rather upset & disappointed. Can u please help to look into my dropped connection issue w/out pushing me to switch to other provider. Thanks.    

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @miloliaw, we're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your internet connection. Have you tried to reboot your ONT and router to see if the issue persists?

~ Carla

Dabbler

• 

4 Messages

• 

4 Points

1 y ago

Hi Carla

Certainly. Noted that yr tech came twice for the same issue yet problem remain...so odd that that I have been asked the same Q of "Have you tried to reboot your ONT and router...." again...again,.... again :(.       

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Sorry about the repetitive question, but this is our standard protocol. Since you've said that rebooting didn't help, please send a message to our Customer Care Support Team via Facebook Messenger by clicking the link below for further assistance. Thank you. 

~ Carla

Dabbler

• 

4 Messages

• 

4 Points

1 y ago

Hi Carla

Please don't feel sorry for me, do be pro-active in resolving the dropped-connection chronic issue. As a subscriber, I don't remember subscribing this  on/off dropped-connection' service + month long of "sorry,...sorry,..." very polite of response but no helpful & in my opinion not professional at all. 

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Please get in touch with our Customer Care Support Team via Facebook Messenger instead so they could escalate your concern to the relevant team. Thanks. 

~ Carla

Dabbler

• 

4 Messages

• 

4 Points

.. just sharing my experience. Talked to the tech & per his advice, I bought a new Nokia beacon for $40 from Carousell & installed 2months ago. So far no more internet connection cutoff issue. Tiem consuming & painful experience...

..why buy? Because Starhub "unable' to replace my Linksys router then due to whatever reason, so I have no choice but to buy a Nokia Beacon... but Starhub make it up through offsetting my next bill somehow...

2 Messages

• 

2 Points

10 m ago

Hi, I use this wi fi on 1st dec 2020.

I can't find 2.4GB wi fi.

Actually should have two wi fi right?

One is for 5GB and another for 2.4GB.

I need to get anothe 2.4GB to suit my cctv installation.

How to get it?

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @Khaing Zar Aung, warmest welcome to GreenR Community. Just to clarify, what Fibre Broadband plan are you using? 

~ Carla

2 Messages

• 

2 Points

1Gbps Fibre Broadband one year contract plan

5 Messages

• 

2 Points

Hi Khaing Zar Aung,

I believe you actually meant 2.4GHz and 5Ghz instead of 2.4GB and 5GB.

If you are using Nokia Mesh Wifi, then you will only see one ssid for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

You can use Nokia Wifi apps to view details of your connected devices for both 5GHz and 2.4Ghz.

Hope this info is of help to you

3 Messages

• 

3 Points

10 m ago

This nokia device is the worst! The signal is so weak so I have to buy a long cable to bring this router near my bedroom. Then it stop working today, there is no internet connection at all. Tried reset both modern and router does not help. Have to wait tmr to call support because it quite late now, though, I am having tons of work need to get done, but can not do because of no connection! Who is gonna pay for my trouble? 

Senior Commentator

• 

6 Messages

• 

3 Points

9 m ago

this is terrible. just recontracted and had this beacon installed yesterday. Less than 24hours and it stopped working with the red light on. called the hotline, reboot and now we have to wait for the technician tomorrow (which by the way may or may not be here). Disrupted my WFH. very frustrating and disappointing.

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @jtrt187, are you still experiencing internet connection issues?  

~ Carla

Roel

Valued Advisor

• 

35 Messages

• 

2 Points

9 m ago

I just read this thread today and I understand now why we're experiencing lag.

I had re-contracted the previous week and Technician came to install this Nokia beacon.  I was happy as its new, so I remove my existing Linksys router.

In the end, when we play games, it always lagged, even our TV screen freezes sometimes.

We don't experienced any lag or TV screen freezing previously, it started after installing and using this Nokia beacon.  Connecting devices took longer time compared to my old Linksys.

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @Roel, I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing internet connection issues. Just to check, have you tried to reboot both your ONT and router to refresh your internet connection? 

~ Carla

Roel

Valued Advisor

• 

35 Messages

• 

2 Points

Hi Carla,

Appreciate your reply, I had reboot both many times but no improvements observed.

The only changes to my set-up were these Nokia WiFi Beacon1 and Starhub TV+ box.  ONT was not changed.  Unless, this ONT had to be change to be compatible with these Nokia and Starhub TV+

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

In this case, we highly suggest that you get in touch with our Customer Support via Facebook Messenger by clicking the link below for further technical assistance. Thank you. 

~ Carla

Respected Commentator

• 

6 Messages

• 

2 Points

8 m ago

i am due to replace my linksys with this nokia beacon in 2 days. the comments here doesn't rhyme with https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-starhub-smart-wifi-6-reasons-why-you-should-jump-smarter-mesh-networking-broadband-plan

am i suppose to expect problems? it will be very disruptive as WFH is the default these days. starhub, can you advise ?

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @BruceDK, StarHub's Smart WiFi comes with faster speeds and wider coverage, you will never find a dead spot in your home again. You'll just plug-and-play and install the device via a mobile app, and you can start enjoying superfast connectivity in every corner of your home. Find out more information here

~ Carla

1 Message

• 

1 Point

7 m ago

I sold my Asus router since the mesh system Nokia beacon included in my new sign up appealed to me. Biggest mistake ever. Constant signal drops even though they claim one beacon can cover like 1000sqf. I bought a second one just to increase the range but still useless. I go from full bar to one bar randomly. My smart tv is practically useless as I can't even load YouTube without it freezing. Calling the CS like pointless. Ask you to turn on and off. How does that fix signal issues? Please enlighten me. Whoever thinking of getting this, DONT. 

(edited)

40 Messages

• 

33 Points

7 m ago

They have a solution now! its the Linksys MX4200 WiFi6 but too bad for us existing customers, even if you recontract your homehub+ you are not getting it.. cos only new customers are getting it 

Tan

Hubbernauts

• 

390 Messages

• 

13 Points

@limkayyong Have read the FAQ and also checked with Starhub, the 2 Free units under Homehub Netflix are under the Smart Wifi plan, NOT, Smart Wifi Pro plan, hence the units will still be the Nokia Beacon. The free MX4200, one node is for the Smart Wifi Pro Plan, 2Gb. 

Please do not send me enquiries via PM, I may not read them in time to help address your issues

1 Message

• 

1 Point

6 m ago

The Nokia Beacon is really a piece of crap. I encountered so many problems after installing it. It seems that after some time the network devices like wifi speakers, printers, scanner will MIA and cannot be found. I have to manually recycle the power of the devices or reboot the router in order to detect it. 

All these used to work with my old Linksys router. Now I changed to Google Wifi and everything back to normal. 

I think it is ok if If you only have devices that connect to internet and not talking to each other in the network (i.e. just notebooks or phones to access internet).

Get Started

Get Started