Hubbernauts

• 

175 Messages

• 

76 Points

Thu, Feb 11, 2021 6:54 AM

ASUS Zenfone 7 Pro Review

ASUS Zenfone 7 Pro Review

Launched Sep 2020. This is a sequel to the then unique ASUS Zenfone 6 which featured a flip camera. Another beautiful phone, it is delightful to behold and use like the Zenfone 6.

Bought the Pro version which comes with:

1. RAM - 8GB
  2. Internal memory - 256GB
  3. 8 core Snapdragon 865 processor
  4. Dual SIM
  5. Dedicated MicroSDXC memory card slot
  6. 64Mp camera
  7. 5000 mAmp battery
  8. Corning gorilla glass 6
  9. Super Amoled screen
  10. NFC capable
  11. Fingerprinter sensor
  12. 5G capable
  13. USB C port
  14. Battery care feature

Like the Zenfone 6, it comes neatly packed and outdoes the former with two cases. A soft silicon case as well as a hard case. So it is ready to go out of the box.

What I like:

1. Good camera - Ok, it may not be the best when compared to the best in class of other flagships but adequate. The telezoom is better
  2. Battery - Like the Zenfone 6, it is a whopping 5,000mAmp
  3. ZenUI - Similar to the Zenfone 6, the ZenUI is light and very much stock Android
  4. Performance - Buttery smooth performance because of the capable processor
  5. Screen - The screen is good
  6. USB C - Personally love USB C ports since it is less fiddling around and potential to be damaged if a cable is inserted incorrectly
  7. Dual SIM - Love the flexibility of having a secondary SIM card which is very useful for travel purposes
  8. Fingerprint sensor - Really find fingerprint sensors essential especially with banking apps, Google Pay, Singpass etc. Takes the hassle out of authentication. However, personally prefer the Zenfone 6 sensor since it is at the back of the phone. The Zenfone 7's sensor is on Power Button which is on the right side
  9. Battery care - This is a neat feature that can be set to slow charge and maximum charging level e.g 80%. According to ASUS, this helps double battery life span if enabled. According to Rocky from The Repair Hospital, who is passionate about device maintenance and care, it is his experience that most devices fail because of overcharging. He recommends taking note of the time a device takes to fully charge before disconnecting. He even goes to the extent of setting a timer. In this context, ASUS Battery care is definitely good to enable

What I do not like:

1. Availability - ASUS Zenfones are hard to get locally. Had to order mine from Expansys
  2. Accessories - Although it is possible to get third party accessories such as cases, would have liked to get an Otterbox case. Sadly ASUS Zenfone is not compatible
  3. Android - The ASUS Zenfone 6 has already been updated to Android 11. Understand ASUS expects to update the Zenfone 7 to Android 11 after CNY, so it will not be a long wait. To be fair, have not noticed much difference between Android 10 and 11. At least in the way I use the phones so, it is not a show stopper

So how does the Zenfone 7 Pro compare with the Zenfone 6? Overall, they are quite similar. However there are some key differences:

1. Size - The Zenfone 7 Pro is slightly bigger
  2. Processor - The Zenfone 7 Pro processor is Snapdragon 865 vs 855. Having said that, there is very little difference between the two in terms of performance. Buttery smooth experience for both
  3. Fingerprint sensor - Ok, have beaten this issue to death :-P. The Zenfone 7 Pro's sensor is on the Power Button which is on the right side of the device (Zenfone 6 Pro's is on the back, which seems to be a better place to be located in my opinion)
  4. Android version - The Zenfone 7 Pro came with Android 10 (as mentioned, ASUS expects to push Android 11 update after CNY)
  5. Phone Jack - The Zenfone 6 includes a 3.5mm audio port. The Zenfone 7 has done away with this and if desired, audio can be connected via a USB C audio adapter. Personally use Bluetooth, so this is not a show stopper

So how did I end up with the ASUS Zenfone 6 Pro and Zenfone 7 Pro? Unfortunately, due to negligence and enthusiasm with a new Zenfone 6, the device accompanied me during exercise. Suspect my sweat shorted the phone. It took quite a while to find the right repair shop since ASUS Service Centre said it could not be repaired. To be fair, they would not have had the parts, since the model is not sold locally. In the end, The Repair Hospital fixed my phone! Kudo to Rocky and his team. Can whole heartedly recommend this shop and will certainly go back if repairs are needed for electronic devices. They also fix computers. Since mobile phones are essential in this Covid 19 era, had to get a replacement. After looking around, decided on the Zenfone 7 Pro. Certainly recommend both devices. However, it may make more sense to go for the Zenfone 7 Pro.

Will be happy to answer questions :-)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Responses

Carla_P

• 

5.2K Messages

• 

3K Points

7 m ago

Nice review, @Paladin. I'll try to look for other reviews regarding this phone to see if I should get this one for my dad or the Zenfone 6. 

Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

175 Messages

• 

76 Points

@Carla_P you will find that most reviews are positive with most saying that is good value for the package. They also think the camera is good but certainly not the best in class.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

175 Messages

• 

76 Points

@Carla_P here are photos taken with the Zenfone 7 Pro. Images1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are taken in standard mode. The rest in night mode.

ASUS Zenfone 7 Pro Camera

Carla_P

• 

5.2K Messages

• 

3K Points

The photos are of good quality. Let me think about this if I should get my dad a Zenfone or a Huawei. 

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!
Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

175 Messages

• 

76 Points

@Carla_P Huawei has good camera. Note that Huawei may not have access to Google apps. Understand there are ways to sideload. However, not officially supported. This means that if one is heavily invested in the Google ecosystem, Huawei may not be a good option.

Carla_P

• 

5.2K Messages

• 

3K Points

Yes, that's the thing with Huawei it doesn't have Google PlayStore. 

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

Get Started

Get Started