Skip to main content
Khai

Android™ Expert

• 

195 Messages

Tue, Mar 26, 2013 9:00 AM

Samsung's focus on software upgrades for Galaxy S4

On paper Galaxy S4 indeed have a hardware bump as they upgrade from S3. But these are only minor hardware upgrades where average users can't really feel the difference in terms of speed and performance. This is because most high-end phones have hardware performance that is superior over the software capabilities.  The average consumer might not even know that it has 2GB of RAM.  Even Samsung don’t brag on the improved hardware as they already know its the best in the market. In their launch event, Samsung only mention about the S4 specs only on 1 final slide, after their credits (as shown below).
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.23.07 PM

Having said this, Samsung focus might not be at the hardware this time. They learnt that the previous S3 consumers are inclined towards their product due to innovative software enhancement.. By inferring from the launch event, its easy to spot that they are adding value towards their software. Samsung spend the entire launch presentation elaborating on the new innovative software features.

Here are some of the awesome software features that S4 have a lead as compared to any other phones.
1) Smart pause – Pause video when users look away
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.09.24 PM

2) Air View – Control device without touching it (good for those who have long nails)
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.10.13 PM

3) Watch On – Use IR blaster for any TV. Yes, any TV with the IR receiver. (even the ancient CRT ones)
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.10.32 PM

4) Optical Reader – scanning business card info
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.10.47 PM

5) Group Play – Share Music and play games on multiple devices
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.11.03 PM

6) Dual Shot – Use and record front facing and back facing camera at the same time.
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.12.01 PM

7) Chat On – Samsung’s version of Facetime

8) Tilt Scroll - Using gyroscope for scrolling though web pages instead of touch scroll.

9) S Translator – Enhanced Google translator

10) S Health -  Monitor physical health and reach goals
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.13.00 PM

It seems that Samsung is successful in pulling off its “S” Branding, without even mentioning Android. Do you think Samsung is pulling away from Android to develop its own branding?
Personally I feel that Galaxy S4 features is definitely making a move towards value adding via software since it already have superiority over hardware. What do you guy think? Do drop some comments below.

Samsung S4 will be retailing on the 27th April. Be one of the 1st to own it! Click here to find out more.

Please Kudo if you find this useful.

http://yul000.wordpress.com/

Responses

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

After the honeymoon period, I guess only a few of the features of interest to different groups will stand out and Samsung should concentrate on that to improve. Main concern is the battery life with all this!! I wish there is a feature to close all apps at one go to save the battery!! 

Anyways, lightweight feature rich S4, is definitely smart - as long as it follows on what consumers prefer and stick to it!!

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have always been a fan of iphone. However, looking at the awesome features in Samsung Galaxy S4 is making me consider to switch to Samsung too. Thanks for writing the review! Smiley Happy

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I always want to own a samsung phone to experience it's awesome software enhancement.

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I like dual shot camera feature in Samsung Galaxy S4 and camera resolution, 13Mp... Man Happy

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I like dual shot camera feature in Samsung Galaxy S4 and camera resolution

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I was looking for borderless phone on the new phone, however , there isn't any. Motion detection is cool though, the only things will be great if there is a outlook change.

Best of all, long battery life and fast LTE , this is my two favourite feature.

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

The dual camera is the best. This is new feature which is useful and practical and solved the problem of the missing camera man who alway sacrify him/her self from the precious moment capture.

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Been using other smartphone brand recently and have never used Samsung SP before and I find this S4 feautures are so enticing to give samsung a try. Smart pause is amazing and will be useful for me as I often watch movies and videos using my smartphone.

Another feaute I like is the dual shot.

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

The real and usefull innovation that I see is the dual camera. can't wait to have hands on it

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

eager to try the smart pause., let the luck be with me this time..!!!!

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Man LOL this is the best phone ever!!! Robot LOL

i love the features especially the Dual Shot! never miss out from any group pics anymore!!!

Excited to take hold and own this! Robot Very Happy

Khai

Android™ Expert

• 

195 Messages

7 years ago

Has anyone tried the Samsung Health at a regular basis? This function does not only apply for the old, but help to keep fitness status for the young too. Do comment esp @CSL  Smiley Tongue

http://yul000.wordpress.com/

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I feel that to only comment that there is slight improvement based on software is slightly unjust to Samsung.  In terms of hardware, there are some enhancement to it, take for instance, 1. the battery of S4 is larger as compared to S3 from the previous 2100mah, now it has been upgraded to a 2600mah as processors has increased, draining of more power has increased, thus the increased in capacity.  2. S4 packed a 13MP camera on the rear and a 5MP on the front.  That is an upgraded as compared to S3.  3. The processor of S4 has increased from 1.5GHz to 1.9GHz Quad-core processor with an increased in RAM to 2GB.  4. Based on dimension, S4 is measured at 136.6mm x 69.8mm x 7.9mm as compared to S3 being measured at 136.6mm x 70.6mm x 8.6mm.  We are talking about some reduction in size.  5. Moving on to weight, S4 weigh at 130g as compared to S3 at 133g.  Though it is a mere 3g, why not, it is 3g lighter than the previous.  6. Lastly, size, S4 is thinner than S3 by 0.7mm.  These are purly my view for an upgrade from S3 to S4.

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I agree with the writer who says that Samsung is trying to fit everything but the kitchen sink into this phone, it has all the bangs and whistles and sometimes seems like it hopes that there will be that one feature that a certain demographic will just find essential or revolutionary (enough to make them go "just what I've been looking for!").

I am no fan of Samsung's "inspired by nature" hardware design language on the S3. I thought it looked like a blatant and bad ripoff of Palm's design language back when they created the beautiful Palm Pre, or when Motorola coined the PEBL phone, or maybe even further back in the day when Siemens manufactured the then-famous petite sliders Sl55/65/75s. Point is, it's a design novelty that feels dated and really, against modern design philosophies that favour clean lines, symmetry and uniformity. The S4, thankfully, does a little to break away from this dated hardware design philosophy. I admit I quickly dismissed the S4 as just an S3 with a bigger screen but upon looking closely at it, I found several comestic changes for the better, like the metal solid ring around the bumper of the device, which just looks really, classy. All in all it gives current top-dog in the looks department, the Sony Xperia Z a good run for it's money (I'm personally not really a fan of the HTC One, looks-wise). 

Criticisms of the S4's mostly-plastic build quality aside, whatever points Samsung may have sacrificed in style it makes up for in substance, where it packs a bigger user-replaceable battery against current manufacturer trends of not allowing this altogether in their flagship devices (Lg Optimus G, HTC One, Sony Xperia Z, Nokia Lumia 920). 

I think what Samsung did here is to cement Samsung's rise to the top of phone manufacturing rivals. If the S3 served to make people tinker with such an idea, the S4 is here to make it fact. Samsung is the best mobile manufacturer in the business today. To people formerly undecided about the company's offerings and sitting on a fence, the S4 is a loud and inviting call to bring their wallets... and with their current marketing weight being focused on the S4, I'm certain they have just released another, if not *the* best-selling phone of the year - and incrementally made it harder for even Apple to just sit back and watch idle as it has complacently done in the past few iPhone iterations. 

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I will definitely be getting this phone even if I do not win..the function and software is awesome..but one downfall will be as always for all android the software updates.unlike iphone android updates cater to only certain phone which is the flaw of android..other than that I am please with all the features that this phone have.

Get Started

Get Started