Skip to main content
Khai

Android™ Expert

• 

195 Messages

Tue, Mar 26, 2013 9:00 AM

Samsung's focus on software upgrades for Galaxy S4

On paper Galaxy S4 indeed have a hardware bump as they upgrade from S3. But these are only minor hardware upgrades where average users can't really feel the difference in terms of speed and performance. This is because most high-end phones have hardware performance that is superior over the software capabilities.  The average consumer might not even know that it has 2GB of RAM.  Even Samsung don’t brag on the improved hardware as they already know its the best in the market. In their launch event, Samsung only mention about the S4 specs only on 1 final slide, after their credits (as shown below).
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.23.07 PM

Having said this, Samsung focus might not be at the hardware this time. They learnt that the previous S3 consumers are inclined towards their product due to innovative software enhancement.. By inferring from the launch event, its easy to spot that they are adding value towards their software. Samsung spend the entire launch presentation elaborating on the new innovative software features.

Here are some of the awesome software features that S4 have a lead as compared to any other phones.
1) Smart pause – Pause video when users look away
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.09.24 PM

2) Air View – Control device without touching it (good for those who have long nails)
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.10.13 PM

3) Watch On – Use IR blaster for any TV. Yes, any TV with the IR receiver. (even the ancient CRT ones)
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.10.32 PM

4) Optical Reader – scanning business card info
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.10.47 PM

5) Group Play – Share Music and play games on multiple devices
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.11.03 PM

6) Dual Shot – Use and record front facing and back facing camera at the same time.
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.12.01 PM

7) Chat On – Samsung’s version of Facetime

8) Tilt Scroll - Using gyroscope for scrolling though web pages instead of touch scroll.

9) S Translator – Enhanced Google translator

10) S Health -  Monitor physical health and reach goals
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.13.00 PM

It seems that Samsung is successful in pulling off its “S” Branding, without even mentioning Android. Do you think Samsung is pulling away from Android to develop its own branding?
Personally I feel that Galaxy S4 features is definitely making a move towards value adding via software since it already have superiority over hardware. What do you guy think? Do drop some comments below.

Samsung S4 will be retailing on the 27th April. Be one of the 1st to own it! Click here to find out more.

Please Kudo if you find this useful.

http://yul000.wordpress.com/

Responses

IncTEh

Android™ Expert

• 

1.4K Messages

7 years ago

If I have a S4, I guess I won't go for CynogenMod cause I will miss out on all the interesting features that are only for TouchWiz. I'm currently using Note 2, and is very happy with the battery life and I hope S4 will be as decent too!

Btw, Samsung uses super AMOLED technology, which means more battery will be consumed when the screen is on white than on black. For people who surf web on their phone often, the battery life will not be as desirable. But then again, you can just simply pop in another battery when the current one is flat. Smiley Happy

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

From screen to the camera and from dimension to the battery, all have been upgraded from different different aspects.
Besides these upgrades that every phone will do when they launched new series, there are MORE!!
After reading the blogs above, it makes me feel so awesome about Samsung Galaxy S4 and it is definitely tempting me to get one.
Smart pause, optical reader, group play, dual shot and tilt scroll are fantastic useful function that also make users feel more cool of getting a Galaxy S4.
S Translator is super useful for tourists when they are visiting other coutries.
Of course, S Health helps us to monitor our health and lead us to reach our goals easier. This function is good for everyone no matter young or old, boys or girls.

It is so difficult for me to choose the best among all of these functions. If to let me choose, I have to say ALL!

I LOVE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4!~

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

The most useful function should be the dual camera.Man Surprised

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Guess its time for me to change from Sony to Samsung once this S4 is release XD

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

can not wait~~~~~~~~~`

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

A much awaited champion of the year..

Higher Battery Capacity means longer operating hours and funtime with S4..

Higher RAM density means to even better user experience with no lag with multiple task or working on bigger file size..

WooHoo!!

Valued Commentator

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

phone spoilt. need a new phone. Smiley Frustrated

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

A lot of innovative features added in this new S4. I would say that all these innovative features such as smart pause, tilt scroll and air view are really user-friendly as the users don't have to touch the phonescreen directly so that the phonescreen will not get dirtied by the 'thumbprints'. It is really 'design for humans'.

Can't wait to get this phone!

Lionel

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Great feature, it had also taken care of female users that have long nail. 

It is user friendly and I certain want to grad hold of it ..... 

Khai

Android™ Expert

• 

195 Messages

7 years ago

I guess the era of touch screen is almost over.. gestures and eye tracking might be the next technolgy player in the market. If you are exited with S4 gesture features then you should try LEAP motion

http://yul000.wordpress.com/
Howard Toh

Administrator

• 

1.3K Messages

7 years ago

In case anyone still not updated, we have already published information on the S4 too Smiley Happy

http://phones.starhub.com/galaxys4/

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■
Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub :)

For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger

For urgent matters regarding the safety of our members or the security of the platform, please email us at community@starhub.com 

Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I fully agree that S4 is so powerful. My only hope against the smart phone is the longer standby time and talking time so that I can enjoy it without bothering the dead battery so frequently.Heart

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Being a staunch user of the IOS my loyalties do suffer a jolt when i see the new technology on offer on the Samsung S4. The most useful feature i found on the S4 is the dual shot and chat on which truly will be used more often than the other upgrades.

Amit

Valued Commentator

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

gone are the days of samsung being one of phone brands in the outcast group. kudos samsung! getting bigger and better! i remember a wise old friend said it depends on the user. a device can be the most powerful but how the user makes use of it, determines the usability of the device.

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I feel that the most unbelievable feature is Air View – Control device without touching it (good for those who have long nails). This is goot when your hands are dirty or oily. With this option, one won't dirty thier phone when thier hands are dirty or oily.

Get Started

Get Started