Skip to main content
IncTEh

Android™ Expert

• 

1.4K Messages

Fri, May 10, 2013 12:00 AM

Review: DLink DIR-865L - DLink's first wireless AC router

Introduction

DLink DIR-865L is a high-end dual band router, with the latest 802.11ac draft 5 technology. It uses 3x3 MIMO technology, which allows you to achieve a maximum theoretical speed of 450mbps on 2.4GHz and 5GHz 802.11n.

Purpose

The purpose of this review is to qualify and quantify the range and throughput of the device.

Methodology

We test the range and throughput by comparing the upstream and downstream of wired connection with wireless connection at various distances. The same test will be done on both 2.4GHz band and 5GHz band with 40MHz bandwidth.  The test will be done with a 2x2 MIMO wireless adapter, Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6250 AGN, which gives a maximum theoretical maximum speed of 300mbps. The test is done on the same server, within a considerably short amount of time, so as to minimise the variable of server load.

The test is done with Starhub MaxInfinity 100mbps connection.

Results

Wired Connection

wired.png

2.4GHz – 1m

241m.png

2.4GHz – 1m with 1 wall

241m1w.png

2.4GHz – 3m

243m.png

2.4GHz – 5m

245m.png

2.4GHz – 5m with 1 wall

245m1w.png

2.4GHz – 8m

248m.png

2.4GHz – 8m with 2 walls

248m2w.png

5GHz – 1m

51m.png

5GHz – 1m with 1 wall

51m1w.png

5GHz – 3m

53m.png

5GHz – 5m

55m.png

5GHz – 5m with 1 wall

55m1w.png

5GHz – 8m

58m.png 

5GHz – 8m with 2 walls

58m2w.png

Analysis

The router have pretty decent throughput for the tests, with a minimum of more than 50mbps. The 2.4GHz band is capable of a more stable connection with a larger range. We have also tested their maximum range with other mobile devices. The 2.4GHz is capable of a maximum range of 30-40m, while the 5GHz band is approximately 25m.

The throughput of 5GHz band drops drastically with obstacles such as walls, and works best when it is within the ‘line of view’ of the router. Sadly, we are unable to test the router’s wireless ac capabilities as we do not have a wireless ac network adapter.

Conclusion

The router has decent throughput and range, and is definitely a good upgrade from the DVG-N5402SP. It is able to achieve at least 50mbps throughput over the range of 8m on both 2.4GHz band and 5GHz band, and has a range of up to 40m.

Responses

samsc

Trusted Contributor

• 

23 Messages

7 years ago

Anyone has hook on the DLink DIR-865L_router via cisco modem (CP 3925) with cable ultimate (100mbps) package.

Can you comment here ?

My current modem is 3meters away & 2 wall in between. (study room - Masterbed room)

How much is the signal drop from 60mbps (direct cable connection).. ??

teoahbear

Esteemed Commentator

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

i have changed to this router current but my bandwidth is still limited at 26kbps for download speed for a wired connection. i suppose its because i am using the SBV5101i modem. would that be correct? any recommendation as to which modem should i change to?

rsn

Home Networking Expert

• 

1K Messages

7 years ago

Which plan are you on? The speed is 26kbps or 26 mbps?

IncTEh

Android™ Expert

• 

1.4K Messages

7 years ago

Hi teoahbear,

If you meant 26mbps, thats probably because your cable modem only supports up to 30mbps. But if you are getting 26kbps, do check your lan cables.

Esteemed Commentator

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

sorry on the typo. its 26mbps. i am on maxonline ultimate plan. if i were to get a docsis 3.0 modem, would i be able to attain the 100mpbs or somewhere near there or the 100mbps is referring to starhub sites only?

rsn

Home Networking Expert

• 

1K Messages

7 years ago

Change your modem to DOCSIS 3.0. Your current one is 2.0 and thus the speed is limited. You will be able to get a much better speed with a DOCSIS 3.0 with maxonline ultimate. Refer to this link to know the average expected speed. http://www.starhub.com/content/broadband/typicalspeed/plans.html

Pauche

Valued Contributor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

Can the D-Link DIR-865L support Starhub 1Gbps fibre's speed connected via cat6 LAN cable?  What's the max achievable speed?

Get Started

Get Started