Paladin

Honored Advisor

• 

127 Messages

• 

28 Points

Fri, Jun 5, 2020 8:00 PM

How to import contacts into Google Contacts

Do you have an existing contacts database that you would like to import into Google Contacts? If yes, have you hesitated since you dread the thought of having to key/ type your existing? There are better ways!

Steps:

1. Create an ideal Google Contact - Suggest including the following fields:

a. First, middle, last name

b. Contact numbers i.e. Mobile, Work, Home

c. Address i.e. Home, work

d. Relationships e.g. spouse, children, secretary or whatever is important to you

e. Email i.e. personal, work

f. Website e.g. Work, Blog, Facebook etc

g. Dates e.g. birthday, anniversary or whatever you want to maintain. Done properly, these will appear in Google Calendar so you can send them well wishes

h. Custom field (whatever you want e.g. Chinese characters)

i. Notes (use this sparingly and include something interesting about your contact e.g. favourite food, how you met them, interests, likes etc. This will help you remember the contact and makes you look good when you reconnect with them)

j. Categories i.e. Alumni work, sport, interest group or whatever you want to track. Each contact may have multiple categories if desired

k. Company name i.e. their employer or company

l. Their title

2. Export this to a CSV file. For reference, here's a sample

3. Populate the CSV file from your existing database

4. Import into Google Contacts i.e. contacts.google.com

5. Sync with your Android device

6. Maintain your Contacts via contacts.google.com

7. Never fear data loss again! If your device is lost, get a new device, sign into Google Account, sync and you are back in business. In the mean time, access data via contacts.google.com

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Responses

Carla_P

• 

2.7K Messages

• 

763 Points

6 months ago

Hi @Paladin, Thanks for sharing this. Do these instructions apply to iOS devices too? 

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!
Paladin

Honored Advisor

• 

127 Messages

• 

28 Points

6 months ago

Most welcome @Carla_P

Would imagine the answer is yes. See this https://support.google.com/contacts/answer/2753077?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&hl=en

Caveat: Personally, do not use an iPhone and not sure how custom field will appear with the contacts

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Get Started

Get Started