mjbaga's profile

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Oct 29, 2019 6:00 AM

International Roaming not eligible

I've just recontracted last month and my international roaming service was deactivated. A few hours before going to Malaysia, I was trying to activate international roaming but the site was saying I was not eligible. Around the time I was boarding the plane, I tried calling the hotline but was put on a series of automated messages and no actual person, only to end up trying to activate international roaming and being told it was invalid.

I'm already in Malaysia and I contacted Starhub on Facebook messenger, gave them my NRIC and other details only to be told that I needed a local sponsor write an authorization letter to activate international roaming (which is confusing as I'm the account holder and haven't had this problem before). I told them I was overseas and couldn't do that and asked for another option but was parroted back the same answer. Frustrated, I told them they just convinced me to switch carriers, and they said they're sad to hear that that. That's it.

As someone who's been with Starhub for 4 years, this is so frustrating. I don't know what to do, and I need to activate my data, as the wifi on this hotel is also very slow. If this is how loyal customers are treated, I think I might just switch carriers indeed.

Lyn L

Community Manager

• 

643 Messages

2 y ago

We are sorry that we are unable to share these criteria with you due to commercial reasons. Thank you.

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

And in my view, you must understand that this is not acceptable, and it seems I'm not the only one going through this. 

Was there a change in policy that the international roaming service needed to be verified by an unrelated 3rd party and not the account holder? This wasn't the case before.

Anyway, I guess there's nothing to be done.

Lyn L

Community Manager

• 

643 Messages

2 y ago

Hi mjbaga, thanks for contacting us. As this requires us to refer to your account details, we are unable to assist you here on StarHub Community. Please direct your query over to Facebook messenger  (http://m.me/starhub) or Twitter Direct Message (https://twitter.com/StarHubCares) so that we can log a case for you and respond to you there. Thank you!

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

Hi, thanks but I already did that, contacted them on http://m.me/starhub which led to FB messenger, where I was told I needed a local sponsor to write an authorization letter, despite me explaining I was already overseas and unable to do that.
Lyn L

Community Manager

• 

643 Messages

2 y ago

If that's the case, we seek your understanding that your eligibility to subscribe for roaming service is based on our credit assessment using internal criteria, including our credit and risk management policies. 

Thank you.

Respected Commentator

• 

6 Messages

• 

2 Points

1 y ago

Same situation here. I had roaming before on the same account, and now am overseas and being told I'm not eligible and need to go to a store with a local sponsor. I won't return to SG for some time and in the meantime can't receive calls or banking/Singpass OTPs. Seems to be no interest from Starhub in trying to find a solution (check out the replies above - care factor = zero). And they can't say it's credit assessment - my account has been paid automatically from my card every month for 5 years! My advice - go to Circles.Life or MyRepublic - totally different customer service approach.

Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @LiMaH, apologies for the inconvenience caused. Just to clarify, previously you were able to activate the roaming service using your current mobile number? 

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

Get Started

Get Started