cpuer's profile

Honored Commentator

• 

9 Messages

Thu, Mar 2, 2017 8:00 PM

Happy Roam data not working in HK 3 network

Son's is in HK. His Xiomi Redmi 3 is not getting any data roaming at all. Set up APN, worked in Sg before flying off. Turned on Roaming, restarted phone a few times.  The same phone and same sim worked in Thailand & Malaysia.

Any clue why is this so?

Responses

SofiaYusof

Alumni (Retired)

• 

841 Messages

4 y ago

Hi @cpuer, please PM me the subscriber's name, NRIC/FIN, email address and contact number at http://m.me/starhub . We wiill get back to you soon. Thank you - Sofia

cpuer

Honored Commentator

• 

9 Messages

4 y ago

cpuer

Honored Commentator

• 

9 Messages

4 y ago

I am now suspecting the T&C of $8 that stopped me from data raoming in HK. My card was having zero value after paying the data plan. Strangly seems like this is not being highlighted as one of the possible reason of no roaming?

http://www.starhub.com/personal/support/mobile/roaming/prepaid-roaming/happy-roam.html

"

1. Is there a minimum balance required for roaming?
    A minimum main wallet balance of $8 is required in your Prepaid SIM for Prepaid Roaming Service "
SofiaYusof

Alumni (Retired)

• 

841 Messages

4 y ago

Hi there, please PM me the prepaid number that you are referring to. Thank you - Sofia

cpuer

Honored Commentator

• 

9 Messages

4 y ago

Any finding?

@Sofia.Yusof wrote:

Hi there, please PM me the prepaid number that you are referring to. Thank you - Sofia

eric3743

Grand Guru

• 

4.4K Messages

4 y ago

@cpuer

Since if you do suspect that the prepaid is less than $8.00 

Then you can do the top-up of $10 or $20 Prepaid top-up for your son in HK.

Only Prepaid top-up to Main Wallet as buy Data Plan is deduct from Main Wallet.

You can use machine, ex, AXS, SAM, NETs, etc.

It only required the prepaid SIM card number and will be done immediately.

Since the roaming is still active, then the prepaid phone will be able to use immediately.

If not, then it need to restart the phone.

Bear in mind, buying data plan is deduct from the Main Wallet only.

As this is due to the balance not enough, the staff would not be able to do anything.

Unless the roaming service is accidentally disable, then the staff can enable it for you.

-----------------------------

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.

cpuer

Honored Commentator

• 

9 Messages

4 y ago

Hi eric

Thanks for your suggestion. I should have done what you have suggsted but I wasn't even aware of the $8 rule. As I have used the same SIM in Thailand, Indonesia and Malayasia. Most of the time they are either at zero value or lesser than $8. That's why hitting $8 and below never crossed my mind as an issue.

The stranger thing is that Starhub has kept asking me to PM them details and privately communicating with me with their "solution". Not once they highlighted this rule that I might have not been meeting during roaming. And I checked through some past discussion on issues facing HappyRoam, other than repeating the steps to turn on roaming services, APN etc, there is no reminder on this $8 rule too. Why isn't this be made in bold and be part of the check list puzzled me. 

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion offered. Hope Starhub will update their guide with this rule soon.

eric3743

Grand Guru

• 

4.4K Messages

4 y ago

You're welcome.

This $8.00 minimum balance in the Main Wallet apply to Roaming service.

Even if you are not using data plan, but on voice &or sms on roaming, this $8.00 rule apply.

This rule may also be applicable for other Telco(s).

eric3743

Grand Guru

• 

4.4K Messages

4 y ago

@SofiaYusof

A suggestion regarding Roaming service.

Should a prepaid user enable the Roaming Service in the Happy Prepaid app, it is best to have a note to mention that there must have at least $8.00 minimum balance in the Main Wallet.

This is one way to prevent prepaid user unable to connect when in oversea.

Regards

Eric.

cpuer

Honored Commentator

• 

9 Messages

4 y ago

No Starhub official response?

Amy_Law

Alumni (Retired)

• 

3.3K Messages

4 y ago

Hi @ eric3743, thanks for the suggestion to add a minimum roaming balance reminder to the Happy Prepaid App. We'll forward it to our team for their consideration.

Hi @ cpuer, thanks for reaching out to us. As connection issues can be caused by several reasons including (and not limited to) low balance, we requested your details to try determining the actual cause. Separately, the minimum wallet balance requirement of $8 can be found at our website at http://bit.ly/2iiN2zl, 

We'll also forward your suggestion to include this minimum balance at the Happy Roam website to our team as well. 

cpuer

Honored Commentator

• 

9 Messages

4 y ago

Hi Amy

Thanks or your response. I am looking forward to the amendment on your media concerning steps of setting up Happyroam. Rather than just a reminder, the $8 rule should be made compulsary right at the data plan ordering time via either 123*300# or via HappyPrepaid App. An automatic sms reminder should be sent everytime the wallet value drops below $8 while roaming. Currently none of these are implemented and left users frustrated and not knowing what's going on while overseas.

As for sending my SIM information on what I experienced in HK, I have already sent that via PM on the days I first made the report. You can easily find it, I am sure.

Happyroam is currently, IMO, the best Prepaid Data Roaming service from among the 3 local telcos, I hope Starhub can continue to improve on it and stay ahead of the game. Like to see more countries are being added in the happyroam country list, example Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar etc? 

Amy_Law

Alumni (Retired)

• 

3.3K Messages

4 y ago

Hi @ cpuer,

Thanks for your feedback and your suggestions. We do acknowledge that it can be frustrating to go overseas only to encounter a low balance disruption to roaming prepaid services.

We will certainly forward your suggestions regarding the update of the FAQ, Happy Prepaid App, the inclusion of roaming notifications for low balance and the countries you've shared to the relevant team for their consideration.

BCBCBC

Honored Contributor

• 

26 Messages

4 y ago

hi Amy

Perhaps you can help advise on the following scenarios :
1) I started with $13 in my main wallet. I just activated a 3 day data plan for $5 & travelled overseas. However, my overseas trip is extended. On the 4th day overseas, can I activate another $5 data plan (when main wallet has $8 balance)?
2) I started with $10 in my 
main wallet. I just activated a 3 day data plan for $5 & travelled overseas. However, my overseas trip is extended. On the 4th day overseas, can I activate another $5 data plan when Main Wallet balance is $5?
3) I 
now have $7 in my main wallet. Can I activate a $5 data plan before I go overseas ?
4) I started with $17 in my main wallet. I just activated a 
30-day 1.2GB data plan for $10 & travelled overseas. While overseas, can I activate another $5 data plan (when Main Wallet balance is $7)?

Suggest to include these scenarios in the HappyRoam FAQ.

Get Started

Get Started