kapsilog19's profile

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

Tue, Nov 13, 2012 5:00 PM

Should telcos retain the 12GB free data rather than the reduced 2/3/4 GB data?

With the emergence of LTE and for full customer experience, do you think that telcos should retain the 12GB free data rather than the reduced 2/3/4 GB data?

Responses

AJ

Respected Advisor

• 

55 Messages

9 y ago

Something i came across.

www.cb.sg/articles/telcos’-tiered-data-plan-pricing-fair-ida

Respected Commentator

• 

4 Messages

9 y ago

I also wish that the telco will consider putting the 12GB plan back in place. Cause nowadays digital file are getting larger...
Dev

Valued Contributor

• 

11 Messages

9 y ago

Obviously telcos should revert back to 12 GB free data, 2 gb data are premitive ones, and i really wonder how all the telcos in singapore come with similar plans at once. Is that mere coincedence? you would be kidding me!!

Respected Commentator

• 

4 Messages

9 y ago

This is how to squeeze more $ out from customers.

They claim that 20% of subscribers are using 80% of the bandwidth, thus slowing down the network. Then the question is : Why punish the 80% because of the 20%?

The reality : Cut down data cap, will end up making more $. More expensive plan to get the 12GB as previously offered. This way, the board of directors are happy with profits, higher directorship fees and share prices go up.

The sad but hard truth : Telcos don't care about you after you sign the 2 year contract. they care about you when you in the market for new plans or when you contract up and call in to terminate.

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

9 y ago

Singtel allows those on contract with old plans (ie 12GB) to add on 4G LTE VAS. Thus, Singtel can use 12GB at 4G speeds.

I called up Starhub and they told me I'm still under contract (12GB) and if I want 4G LTE, I will need to change my subscription plan to the new 2GB one. And since I am under contract and this is not an upgrade in plan, out of goodwill, they can help me change for "FREE".

Haha, well done la Starhub!

BTW, I am still waiting for conversion to Corporate plan for more than 2 weeks now. Neither CS nor CIS Business are keeping me informed of the status.

Ebichuman

Senior Advisor

• 

40 Messages

9 y ago

First of all, telcos in many countries like the US have already started doing this earlier after realising that some people are out to abuse the scarce resources of mobile broadband.

Secondly, mobile broadband bandwidth is shared. No matter how much money a Telco pumps into upgrading basestations, there is a fixed amount of bandwidth shared by X number of people in the area within the coverage of the cell. I have friends running Bittorrent (Can you believe it?) and other P2P softwares which hog up most of the bandwidth. I am sure those of you who posted here are not abusers and felt victimised because of this change. How about thinking on the brighter side? With this lower cap in place, abusers will no longer be able to hog up the bandwidth with their BTs and P2P programmes making the surfing experience better for everyone else. If you feel that the experience is still not good enough, it could have been worse if these abusers have their 12GB to abuse.

I am a tech savvy person and have never crossed the 2GB mark even though I tether my laptop to my iPhone and Android phones occasionally. Mobile broadband should never be a replacement for your fixed broadband which does not have bandwidth limits and have better response time.

Some food for thought.
Dev

Valued Contributor

• 

11 Messages

9 y ago

I beg to differ on the percentage of population who clogs the network because of using the torrent or P2P softwares could be very minuscle. Also the average download speed on the mobile is not more than .7 to 3 mbps (according to starhub) but in reality it could be more less than that, so, users using it to download large files through p2p or torrent not really taking advantage of the mobile data(If they know what they do). Again the cap is 12 GB which can be easily achieved if they use the P2P and torrent. Honestly, I don't see that as the real reason.

To me the real reason could be that mobile usuage has been ever expanding and its functionalities too. When media, corporates and agencies tries to push their content to their prospective clients, telcos senses that they have opportunity to earn more because of these new content push. The tactic used by telcos are nothing new, initially when the demand is less, sell it at the lower price and when the demand increases, then increase the price. 

Get Started

Get Started