Administrator

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

2 Points

Thu, Apr 4, 2013 10:00 PM

[FAQ] Premium services (Third Party) charges on your StarHub bill

Hi Community members,

This post serves to re-affirm StarHub position on charges from third party premium rate service providers. If you feel that you have been wrongly charged by any of such companies, please call the telephone number reflected together with the charges on your bill. If StarHub's intervention is required, please do not hesitate to write to us

Q:           What are these Premium Rate Service (PRS) providers about? Why did they charge me?

A:            PRS providers offer a range of premium services to consumers, includingbut not limited toringtones, games, quizzes, contests, auctions, chat lines, video clip downloads and 4D/Toto/Horse racing results, among others.Regardless of the service offered, all PRS providers are required to inform customers on all service charges prior to the commencement of subscription. Additionally, PRS services require the user’s acknowledgement prior to any charges. All PRS providers must abide to these two obligations defined in IDA’s Code of Practice for Provision of Premium Rate Services.

Q:           I have not used their services. How can StarHub help me?

A:           PRS providers are required to produce service activation records when requested. As such, we have included the Customer Service hotline numbers of these PRS providers under the respective charges in the bill so that our customers will know how to get in touch with the PRS provider.

Q:           The provider did not respond to me or did not provide me with a satisfactorily answer. What now?

A:            The PRS providers are obligated to remain contactable at their respective Customer Service hotline toproduce service activation records and provide clarification on charges. As your service provider, we will provide assistance to you if you were to face any difficulty reaching any PRS provider.

Q:           What is StarHub’s relationship with these providers?

A:           Telcos, such as StarHub, provide billing support for some PRS providers.

Q:           How can StarHub protect me from such charges moving forward?

A:            We would like to take this opportunity to remind all customers to be cautious when using chargeable third-party mobile services. We understand that some customers may have concerns about PRS, and this is why we offer PRS Barring, a free service that blocks all PRS subscriptions on their mobile lines. To activate PRS Barring, simply SMS  and send to 6757. For more information on PRS Barring, please visit: http://www.starhub.com/support/mobile/mobileservicestatistics/premiumrateservicesbarring.html

PRSBarring1.png PRSBarring2.png

Q:           What else is StarHub doing to protect the interest of customers like us?            

A:            We take a very serious view of customer feedback on PRS, and will certainly take the appropriate action if we find that any PRS provider has billed our customers without their consent or offer objectionable content. Recently, we have suspended billing services of some PRS providers even though they did not breach the Code of Practice for the provision of PRS. We will continue to monitor and proactively take similar actions as and when necessary.

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■
Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub :)

For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger

For urgent matters regarding the safety of our members or the security of the platform, please email us at community@starhub.com 

Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

Responses

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I was billed with $48 dollar from maguemo video service. Like any of you here, I am a victim of such scam of something we DID NOT subscript to. I took off from my busy schedule and even cancel my oversea conference just to resolve this issue at starhub.
Likewise, I was instructed to call third party subscriber with a number that never works. Therefore, they told me that they couldn't do either.

I find that this service is totally absurd. Please starhub, advise.
KaiBoon

StarHub Prepaid

• 

9K Messages

• 

5 Points

6 years ago

@Quin

Can you drop us your details via http://bit.ly/StarHubQuery to allow the Customer Service Team to assist you further? Thanks.
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
fmachdy

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Hi Starhub

On the recent Starhub mobile bill (October 2014) I got charged for the following services which I never subscribe:

PS_Starhub.png

This is clearly a scam attempt to my starhub number and this should be clasified as criminal offence. Would you please advice on how to proceed with this case ? Shall I make a police report or is it enough to escalate it via your helpdesk ?

Best Regards

Fadhil

LyT

BFF

• 

31 Messages

• 

2 Points

6 years ago

Hi @fmachdy 

Here's what you need to do

1) Call 6631 9339 and 6631 9198

2) Demand to know how these charges were incurred

3) Demand that they stop charging you

4) Dispute the charge with them

5) If they agree to waive, they will issue a credit to StarHub

6) Protect yourself by activating PRS Barring on all your StarHub mobile lines (Guide here)

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Hi, I nearly choked when I saw the bills. As usual, I will pay for home broadband and cable tv with AXS without taking a look at the monthly bill. This month, I took a look and to my horror, the mobile broadband (Which I did not use at all) was billed for premium services as such:

Account No: 85624386

Sept ($90.05 w/o GST)

Oct ($140.00 w/o GST

Total = $230.05 w/o GST

I realised I was not the only one. Someone please help, it is so emotionally draining. 

Regards, Jin Wai

Valued Commentator

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I have bill for Megumo Video Services $12 this month bill as I never use this service. I also found online by Google Megumo Video Services and to my surprise how come only Starhub customer affected by this service and not the othe 2 Telcom. What have Starhub do on the pass one year to stop this PRS provider???

We take a very serious view of customer feedback on PRS, and will certainly take the appropriate action if we find that any PRS provider has billed our customers without their consent or offer objectionable content. Recently, we have suspended billing services of some PRS providers even though they did not breach the Code of Practice for the provision of PRS. We will continue to monitor and proactively take similar actions as and when necessary.

Valued Commentator

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

HI See my reply

Please submit your enquiry via http://bit.ly/StarHubQuery so that we can assist you further regarding this issue. Meanwhile, you may wish to contact Megumo Video Service to clarify on this billing issue and inform them to unsubscribe this service.

My reply : Already call same answer waiting for your customer service to explain why only Starhub is affected by this Megumo Video Service and not the other 2 Telcom,.

Starhub customer affected by this service and not the othe 2 Telcom. What have Starhub do on the pass one year to stop this PRS provider

My reply : Can Starhub just answer directly to this question . Why Megumo Video Service is not affected other 2 telcom and after a year of complain

Tan

Community Sheriff

• 

378 Messages

• 

1 Point

6 years ago

Not taking sides but Red and Orange also have got their share of 'Premium' services scams, saw them on other boards, so, only way unfortunately you can prevent this is to help yourself by barring premium service and maybe even putting yourself in the DNC list
htp://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/mobile-communication-technology-9/i-did-not-subscribe-but-i-have-been-charged-%246-week-1776588-10.html
Please do not send me enquiries via PM, I may not read them in time to help address your issues

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

StarHub should altogether discontinue serving as bill collector for these so-called third party providers. I recently was billed over S$300 for alleged premium services on my child's phone. This was a huge surprise and shock to me considering that my child has had the phone for almost one year now and this has never happened before. Unlike purchases on app stores, which is paid through my credit card, it seems I have no control against my StarHub account being charged huge amounts because of these so-called premium services. Some control should be in place, like the need for a password, before such charges are allowed; otherwise don't continue with this arrangement.

sfans

Esteemed Consultant

• 

178 Messages

6 years ago

this problem seems never ending to all sh users be it whether data plan; 3rd party services; can sh starts with the only the bare services only, i.e. only according to the package the customer subscribe and no other services activated. so the cust if example need certain service, they have to call in. i believe in this case, sh will have proof that the cust activated the service with knowledge and also minimize all this issue and the line can at least be free for attending to other issue?

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I totally agree!

In fact, I even tried to bar the premium service by sending the SMS per SH guide, but I didn't get a response. The system puts the burden on the subscriber, which should be the other way around.

Tan

Community Sheriff

• 

378 Messages

• 

1 Point

6 years ago

Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts to get barprs to work, I have to do it twice. Unfortunately this is a source of revenue in one form or another with all our telcos, have seen the comments regarding Orange and Red on other boards...
Please do not send me enquiries via PM, I may not read them in time to help address your issues

Valued Commentator

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Hi there Starhub moderators,
Writing to you about the recent bout of "Premium Services" that has been reflected in my Starhub statement. Unfortunately, my son, who's using one of my mobile number, responded and replied half-innocently-half-curiously. Unknowingly, incurring "one-time signup fee of $10" and subsequent messages each incurring $5. And then came some other messages for subscription, which involves signup/per messages received fees. The extent of the damage, I was advised by Starhub customer service, will only be made known upon receiving the next bill.
2 very grave issues we have here:
1. Starhub statement reflected "1 Dwlds" which, according to customer service, refers to 1 download.
Does that mean 1 MSS reply constitutes a download from Starhub billing's perspective? Technically incorrect classification, but not my main point.
2. The more serious point here is, why does Starhub knowingly, I believe Starhub is fully aware of what's going on, agree to take on billing for such unethical 3rd party "premium" services? It just goes to show how much customers are being valued, a serious letdown of basic corporate moral values.
For the people in position to take action, do something! Be a socially responsible company!
Customers will appreciate and thank you for that!
Regards
Eddie

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Great so i guess alot of plp bean cheated buy tis third party services..same goes to me..i haven a starhub loyal customer for so many years n last year jun i upgrated my contract since that my bill being unusal everymth.my bill increse n i dono y is that ..first i tot it was my mistakes bcz im useing internet on data plan..maybe bcz of that my bill increse...but i stop use internet on data but my bill remain same then i noticed tis premiem services that bean charging me 100 over dlr since nine mth n i dono wat the hell service is that..n im paying for nothing...i called starhub..they say they cant block tis tirth party bcz i have 2 ac 1 is my bro n 1 is me..my bro got overdue payment..of 300..so tis starhub tel me i need to clear all the outstanding bill then oni they can block tis 3party...wtf...so its very cleary know that starhub helping tis 3party to get some comision is it...plss la don cheat plp like tis...everybdy here in spore not takeing easy money..they wok day n nite..n tis kind of evil plp..cant simply poke plp money with helping of a big company like starhub....
eric2728

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

6 years ago

I has a suggestion.

Could Starhub print on the invoice on the 2nd sheet, (as the first sheet is the T & C)
and list all (or most problematic) the so-called Premium & 3rd Party Services and also to
include how to unsubscribe each Service, with sms UNSUB to the contact number and the HOTline.

This will also give others Customers who are unaware of these such Services, and keep paying.

This will at least to show that Starhub do care and have done their part so as the Customers will know.

Regards

Eirc.

Get Started

Get Started