Skip to main content
Carla_P

• 

1.9K Messages

• 

262 Points

Tue, Aug 18, 2020 2:00 AM

Which Music Streaming Service Are You Using?

Physical music sales and downloads are slowly dying. But it doesn't mean that people have stopped listening to their favourite music. In fact, people are now relying on streaming services to get their daily dose of music. What’s the best about music streaming services? It provides you unlimited access to a range of music at a low cost compared to buying an album that contains merely 10-20 songs. So, let’s look at the music streaming services available in Singapore.

Spotify

spotify.png

Do you know anyone in the world who hasn’t downloaded the Spotify app? Just so you know, Spotify is the pioneer of the music streaming industry. It offers curated playlists of all genres and global artists with a wide variety of tunes from past to present. Unsigned/independent artists can also upload their tracks in the platform, which gives them an opportunity to expose their music to a bigger audience

Apple Music

apple.png

An extensive library of more than 60 million songs, exclusive early releases of new music from popular artists and Apple's Beats 1 radio station. It also offers curated playlists and enables you to listen to music in offline mode. However, the only time you get to listen for free is when you opt for the free 3-months trial. Moreover, you must download iTunes as it doesn’t come with a web player. Other than that, it is spot on.

Tidal

tidal.png

If you are looking for high-quality audio including hi-res audio (we’re talking up to CD-level quality of 1,411kbps) then Tidal is for you! Not only do you get an extensive catalogue of music, but also high definition music videos and exclusives from bonus tracks to artist interviews. And since this was launched by rapper Jay-Z, it is great for hip-hop and R&B fans.

Deezer

deezer.png

Like most of its popular rivals, Deezer shares a lot of the same features from offline listening, live radio, to podcasts. It also has a significant number of live radio stations, but they can’t rewind those radio stream. Moreover, its Flow feature curates a personal playlist for you based on your listening history. And don’t forget its built-in lyrics feature!

KKBOX

kkbox.png

The leading digital music platform in Asia is KKBox, which is known for having a huge collection of Asian pop. So, this is specifically targeted for Asian pop music lovers out there. You can find genres from Mandopop, K-Pop, J-Tracks, Cantopop and Malay hits. You can also watch exclusive KKBOX live concerts. And listen to your favourite DJs talk while enjoying music with them.

Which music streaming services do you use? Let us know in the comments section below.

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

Responses

Paladin

Honored Advisor

• 

109 Messages

• 

10 Points

2 months ago

Using YouTube Music. Subscribed YouTube and YouTube Music bundle family plan. The cost is SGD 17.98 a month. This allows up to 5 family member to be added. Benefits:

1. Ad free
  2. Download music
  3. Upload your own music
  4. Apparently YouTube Music has greater choice than Spotify as it includes live concerts
  5. Chromecast to Google Home
  6. Play music via Android Auto which is great for long drives

Sadly YouTube Music isn't perfect. There are relatively few podcasts. Otherwise works well.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Carla_P

• 

1.9K Messages

• 

262 Points

2 months ago

@Paladin, to be honest, I only use Youtube to watch videos. Does Youtube Music enables you to create playlists? 

~ Carla

Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Paladin

Honored Advisor

• 

109 Messages

• 

10 Points

2 months ago

@Carla_P Yes! See this https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/answer/7205933?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

The really neat thing about YouTube Music is "Your mix". Guess it is a mix of your subscriptions, playlists, likes etc. Essentially, YouTube Music tries to play music that one seems to enjoy. Works well.

Really love the ability to Chromecast/Stream to Google Home, play on Android Auto. As mentioned, this is done via voice which makes for safer driving.

Personally think the Family package is great value :-).

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Paladin

Honored Advisor

• 

109 Messages

• 

10 Points

@Carla_P Good news! YouTube Music has added new music mixes. This will vary for each user since YouTube Music learns what the user likes. Naturally, one can help it along by either liking or disliking suggested tracks. So far really like the suggestions. There is also Moods and Genres to check out

Carla_P

• 

1.9K Messages

• 

262 Points

Thanks for sharing this update, @Paladin. Is the music mixes like a playlist? I haven't tried YouTube Music since I currently have a Spotify subscription

~ Carla

Paladin

Honored Advisor

• 

109 Messages

• 

10 Points

@Carla_P most welcome. My Mix is like a playlist except that it is something YouTube Music compiled. Essentially it learns what one likes. Give it a try. As mentioned, can be Chromecast to Google Home, played from Android, PC and Chromebook. Works well :-)

Get Started

Get Started