Hubbernauts

Hubbernauts

• 

18 Messages

• 

6 Points

Mon, Feb 15, 2021 8:50 AM

My Long Battle Against Obesity - Chapter 2

I wasn't always fat. But I ended up struggling with weight issues for nearly 25 years to date. 

It didn't use to be that bad but somehow, the weight just creeped up on me and I couldn't get rid of it.

How did I get to that horrible point? Well, you're about to find out.

Chapter 1: The Background

Chapter 2: Growing Up 

I didn't always use to be overweight when I was young. I was just a normal baby at perfectly normal weight. My mother even called me skinny at one point and while I wasn't underweight, I was certainly not on the overweight spectrum during my years. 

I ran around, played and jumped as much as any child up to the age of 6 would do.

My downfall was my preference for reading - one I showed very very early. I devoured books and that was literal. I finished Enid Blyton, moved on to River Valley, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and classics like Jane Eyre, Call of the Wild, and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea before I reached 12. Sherlock Holmes would become a cult favourite for me and he in turn introduced me to the wonderful world of encyclopedias where knowledge beckoned.

Whether I understood all the words used or the world the authors created were immaterial. I had stumbled upon the wonder that was speed-reading... And simply being able to comprehend more or less was enough.

The tougher the books were, the longer I spent sitting down by myself as I needed time to completely comprehend what they were sharing with me. I'd travelled with Phileas Fogg, Asterix and Obelix and Tin Tin more times around the world and into adventure than I could remember. 

As the number of books I read increased, the amount of time I spent at rest also increased and eventually, I reduced my playtime in favour of reading time.

The additional discovery that I hated sweating and waiting in line to play were also not to my liking. So it was a natural thing to grow fatter as I reduced physical activity.

Chapter 3 will come soon. Stay tuned~

My opinions are my own and I am not employed or affiliated to StarHub in any way outside of my home and mobile plan subscriptions.

Responses

Carla_P

• 

4K Messages

• 

1.9K Points

2 m ago

I feel like I'm experiencing the same thing you've gone through these past few months due to the ongoing pandemic. Anyway, thank you for entrusting us with your story, even though sharing them likely meant revisiting painful memories that almost certainly would be easier to avoid reminiscing. 

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

Get Started

Get Started