U

1 Message

• 

1 Point

Sat, Nov 13, 2021 1:36 PM

Wifi keeps dropping

Hi,

I am having a recurring problem where my wifi signal will drop off. At first, it was just once a day, but now it is happening every few hours so it happens like four times a day. The router (nucleus connect) looks fine, I just keep restarting the router after the drop but seriously speaking, there is no way I should keep repeating this over and over. If this keep occurring, I am prepared to terminate my contract with Starhub even if I have to pay a penalty. Can this issue be resoled?

4 Messages

• 

4 Points

1 m ago

I have the same issue. Can someone help?

Carla_P

• 

5.8K Messages

• 

3.5K Points

24 d ago

Hi @user_8f0e74, we're sorry to hear about the issue you're encountering with your broadband service. Just to check, what router are you using? Please try to reboot both your ONT and router to refresh your internet connection. Let me know if the issue persists after reboot. 

3 Messages

• 

3 Points

23 d ago

I have the same issue here!!!! they keep asking to reboot and restart like we are dumb that we didnt try that. i tried with 2 routers and face the same shit. 

Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

203 Messages

• 

104 Points

9 d ago

@user_8f0e74 @user_15ca17

There are a few common reasons for WiFi signal drop off.

1. Signal congestion - This is difficult to avoid in SG since we live in relatively close proximity with neighbours. With WiFi becoming essential especially with WFH this makes the situation worse.
  2. Signal interference - This could be from DECT phones, microwaves etc.
  3. Weak signal - There may not be sufficient coverage.

Some solutions:

1. Router - Consider a router like StarHub's Linksys MX4200. Why? It uses 2 and 5MHz. 2 MHz is common and therefore will be most affected to by congestion. However 5MHz is newer and less congested. The MX4200 also has the ability to dynamically switch signals as required. Note that this is applicable to devices that support WiFi 5. Older devices will not benefit from this. Another advantage of MX4200 is that it is a mesh router and therefore supports multiple nodes that can ensure no blind spots. Note that if well sighted this may not be necessary. In generally, the router should be centrally located and elevated i.e. raised up as high as possible. This helps with coverage
  2. Minimize interference - Personally found that DECT phones affect WiFi since most use 2MHz also. Change to one that does not use that frequency
  3. Changing channel - Some routers allow channels to be change. For starters, download a WiFi scanner onto your mobile phone. This will identify congested channels. Choose a channel that is less congested. As mentioned if your router is limited to 2MHz, you may not have many options
  4. Maintenance - Here's a suggested regime for optimal performance. Do this once a month. Why? Resets the system and clears out the cache if applicable. Experts also recommend doing this from security standpoint
  • Turn off modem, router for a minute
  • Power on modem and allow it to fully cycle i.e. all the lights on. Generally takes a few minutes
  • Power on main router. Allow it to fully cycle
  • Power on secondary nodes in the right order

(edited)

Get Started

Get Started