First Step
Conversationalist

Senior Contributor

• 

14 Messages

Tue, May 21, 2013 8:00 PM

Using a VPN router from StrongVPN with or without D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP

Dear All,

i  am hoping to sign up to a VPN service like StrongVPN.

I read that you need a specific VPN router, like one in this link, for the VPN service to work, or else - will not work if just subscribe to the VPN service.

http://www.sabaitechnology.com/StrongVPN-Routers-s/22.htm

My query is :

Using a VPN router from StrongVPN with or without D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP ??

ie.

Option 1.

ask for open ONT from Starhub first,  and plug the VPN router, eg. ASUS RT-N66 - DIRECT to the ONT ??

Option 2.

Connect via the D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP ? - 

- will it make the connection slower ?

Apologies in advance - Noobie question - search all the threads - no one addressed this specifically.

Thanks in advance.

VB

Responses

Hubbernauts

• 

477 Messages

• 

1 Point

8 y ago

All the VPNs I've used before never required me to get a "VPN Router". You can establish a VPN connection using software such as OpenVPN.

Unless of course, you're trying to make every single connection in the house pass through the VPN permanently.
-----
Windows Developer | @ReignOfComputer

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

6 y ago

Hi voxboy,

I know I am a little late to the party here, but I am looking to do something similar in my home...

I currently subscribe to Starhub Fibre Optic broadband and use the modem and D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP router.

I also subscribe to a VPN.

What I would like to do is (ideally) have TWO wireless connections in my home: #1 would be the standard Starhub service while #2 would be a permanent VPN connection.  This would mean that my Apple TV could be permanently connected to the VPN connection and stream US content like Netflix, etc.  I believe this is possible by adding a VPN router as a second device to my Starhub connection.

However, I am not very experienced with this and I am having a very difficult time understanding exactly *how* to do this.  I called Starhub but the techinician didn't really seem to understand my questions/objective.

Is it possible to simply purchase a VPN router and connect it to my Starhub fibre optic modem -- basically "bridging" it?  Or do I need to add another data point in my home in order to achieve this type of configuration?

Any insight or assistance is appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Scott

Valued Commentator

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

yeah I am also agreed with region of computer that you don't need any vpn router like I am just using FastestVPN app on my computer and it also connected to my router and I don't need any other thing

Get Started

Get Started