Skip to main content
youhsueh

Honored Contributor

• 

27 Messages

Sat, Mar 29, 2014 7:00 AM

StarHub, Review your Port Blocking Policy!

Help us expedite this review by liking @Qwerty idea at Idea Exchange!

Dear StarHub,

You might have heard that M1 have recently lifted their Port Blocking Policy and started offering Static IP addresses to their customers at $2/month for a period of 12 months. This allows customers to access their NAS, IP Camera and many other services hosted in their home network worldwide through WAN.

Many other ISP have already been providing Port 80 and many other ports opened for non-corporate customers to manage at their freewill. Examples include M1 (as mentioned above), SingTel, MyRepublic, SuperInternet and ViewQwest.

Would StarHub be kind enough to lift the Port Blocking Policy in the near future? Let us know, StarHub. Or else, we, your loyal customers, might have second thoughts to recontract our MaxOnline/MaxInfinity services and migrate to other ISP who are able to open up ports for use.

Please comment if you think that StarHub should review their Port Blocking Policy to allow us to have the freedom in managing our ports!

Yours faithfully,

A StarHub Platinum Club Customer

Responses

KaiBoon

StarHub Prepaid

• 

9K Messages

• 

5 Points

7 years ago

Currently there is no further update on this. Once there is more infomation, we will keep you all informed.
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Wurlitzer

Trusted Advocate

• 

186 Messages

• 

3 Points

7 years ago

For what it's worth to everyone waiting for Starhub to unblock port 80, you can just use VPN Smiley Happy and it will be visible from the internet.

http://clip2net.com/s/ibq0hj

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I'm really glad to see that effort is being put in to resolve this issue.

I've been a loyal hubber since 2001. I have two friends who were ex-hubbers who recently jumped ships to two different ISPs that I cannot mention here just to gain access to their port 80.

Honestly I'm really tempted to switch over, but I just want to stick around for a couple of months till my contract ends to see if something changes.

Keeping fingers crossed Smiley Sad

JoeJay

Honored Contributor

• 

26 Messages

7 years ago

@Syraxius you sure otehr telco will not block?

youhsueh

Honored Contributor

• 

27 Messages

7 years ago

@Syraxius Thank you for your compliment. We hope that StarHub will review
their policy in the near future.

@JoeJay SingTel, MyRepublic, ViewQwest and SuperInternet does not block
Port 80 ever since they launch their Fibre Services while M1 have recently
reviewed their policy and unblocked Port 80.

Howard Toh

Administrator

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

5 Points

7 years ago

Hi christ2,

A policy change involves many departments in big organisations
As shared earlier, it might look like a simple change of a setting but the setting is across all our equipment islandwide so there are formalities such as risk assessments, consultation with legal, modifying terms and conditions, etc
Please give us more time

For other ports, I can't comment on the entire list

For port 25, my personal opinion is that there is no point running your own SMTP server as most mail servers will never accept emails sent from or relayed from a dynamic IP address (I tried that years ago and I suppose it is even stricter nowadays).

Anyway, back to the original question about port 80, I have kept KaiBoon in the loop of the internal emails appealing for the unblocking of port 80. KaiBoon will update this thread if I am not around.

We are on your side for this one so do trust us to do our best to have port 80 unblocked Smiley Happy

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■
Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub :)

For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger

For urgent matters regarding the safety of our members or the security of the platform, please email us at community@starhub.com 

Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

christ2

Trusted Commentator

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Hello Horward

It has been almost a month since we had any news on Star Hub changing the port blocking policy, how much more time do you need, please update us, it would be good to have an ETA?

Additionally, so there are no more surprises, are any other ports blocked, eg smtp 25...etc?

Thank you

Chris

Valued Commentator

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

+1 on unblocking of port 80.

At least offer this on a per customer basis if it can not be switched on globally.

I myself runs a website and resorted to redirect service method.  It's quite limiting to have a web site running behind fibre but constrained by this unnecessary workarounds.  Noted that this is for the security of some subscribers who may be using old routers but it should not be at the expense of more tech-savvy customers.

Hoping to get a positive response from Starhub team.

KaiBoon

StarHub Prepaid

• 

9K Messages

• 

5 Points

7 years ago

We are hearing you and rest assured that Howard and myself will keep you all informed once we received any news.
Home is where the ♥ is
Qwerty

Honored Advisor

• 

107 Messages

7 years ago

I want Port 80 to be unblocked too.

KaiBoon

StarHub Prepaid

• 

9K Messages

• 

5 Points

7 years ago

@Qwerty I see that you have posted on the idea exchange - http://community.starhub.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Us/Unblocking-of-Port-80/idi-p/93327

Rest - You can proceed to like the @Qwerty's submission and we shall see if we are able to drive this initiative forward.

Home is where the ♥ is
Qwerty

Honored Advisor

• 

107 Messages

6 years ago

I have 19 likes there now

*hehe*
Howard Toh

Administrator

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

5 Points

6 years ago

Hi everyone, as a formality, would you go ahead and support this unblocking of port 80 at our Ideas Exchange?
Qwerty has started the ball rolling and I am helping to vote as well Smiley Happy

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■
Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub :)

For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger

For urgent matters regarding the safety of our members or the security of the platform, please email us at community@starhub.com 

Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

christ2

Trusted Commentator

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

20 now and counting, just need to get everyone here to go bid it up...

youhsueh

Honored Contributor

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

@Qwerty wrote:
I have 19 likes there now

*hehe*

Can I appeal to all fellow users to support our petition to lift up the Port Blocking Restrictions by liking Qwerty's Idea Exchange post?

Your likes will be valued and would assist in enlighting StarHub's Management Team to quickly review our request with no further delays. Thank you @Qwerty for submitting this into StarHub's Idea Exchange.

We are now 26 likes and counting!

Get Started

Get Started