U

3 Messages

• 

3 Points

Sat, Apr 10, 2021 7:13 AM

Internet Access for Laptop

Please bear with me as I am not tech-savvy. I need to use my laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad) when WFH every alternate week in my mother's home without Internet access. I have 1G data (Starhub's welcome plan SIM card - currently installed in phone as SIM2). So my questions are:
1.  How, what model and where  do I get a dongle?

2.  Do I need to get a data plan?

Responses

Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

165 Messages

• 

66 Points

1 m ago

Consider using your mobile. If you are subscribed to the basic StarHub SIM only plan, the data alloted is 40GB. No need for additional hardware. Steps for Android phones:

1. Setup Hotspot - See this for details
  2. Activate Hotspot - Connect your laptop to the Hotspot

Consider connecting your mobile to a power source, since this is quite power hungry.

An alternative is to connect your Android phone to your lapnote via USB cable and allow USB Tethering. See this for details

USB Tethering has the advantage since it will power your Android phone at the same time.

Works well :-)

(edited)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

3 Messages

• 

3 Points

Thank you! Will try it out and see what happens then.

Carla_P

• 

4.3K Messages

• 

2.1K Points

1 m ago

Hi @user_2f42c6, in addition, the Welcome Plan you're referring to comes with 1GB and 50 outgoing minutes. Please be informed excess data and voice charges are applicable upon utilization of plan bundle. I highly suggest that you buy an additional data add-on before you allocate all your 1GB data allowance to avoid incurring accidental charges.  

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!
Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

165 Messages

• 

66 Points

Agree with @Carla_P

This is why I suggested using mobile data from a StarHub mobile plan. From experience, with video calls, it is easy to quickly use up data. You will want to download the StarHub app and keep an eye on data usage. Subscribe to addons for additional data if required. Note that the SIM only plan with a 1 year contract will include 60GB data which will help. Contrast this with no contract and it is 40GB data.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

3 Messages

• 

3 Points

Thanks again! I am beginning to see my way out of the mist of options!

Get Started

Get Started