Respected Commentator

• 

5 Messages

• 

1 Point

Tue, Sep 21, 2021 2:42 PM

IPv6 and own router usage

Hi!

I am getting close to my re-contract date (with a competitor) and I am thinking of switching to Starhub. However, before I make the decision I would like to understand whether Starhub offers dual-stack IPv4 and IPv6, and whether it is possible to use your own router (directly connected to the ONT, not in bridge mode!).

Thanks!

Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

1 m ago

When I switched from StarHub cable to fibre, was given a Linksys 8100 router. However it proved inadequate to my needs as coverage was poor.

To be fair, the Open Net point was in the hall near the main entrance as recommended by the Open Net technicians at the time of installation. Logic being, it needs to be near the TV. Have been with StarHub cable since SCV days and my network was setup with cable and network points that terminate in my store room. Previously, with the Linksys EA4500 router, coverage was not an issue since the store is in the middle of house. As the unremunerated, much abused, longsuffering live in tech support that is on call 24X7, each time WiFi is down ... there will be a family conference. Even my domestic helper gets involved. Determined to fix the issue, bought the then "best" solution which was the Linksys Velop AC6600 mesh router. This solved the WiFi coverage since the nodes could be connected wireless with no need for wiring. Unfortunately, it required daily monitoring since nodes are likely to disconnect. But since I'm an early rising, it is easy to check that all nodes are connected each morning. The router was a life saver during lock down since it supported two school kids and two working adults on video calls. Certainly reduced family conferences.

When StarHub introduced the Linksys MX4200 router, it was even better. The nodes are very stable. The only time nodes go down are the old AC6600 ones. If you are interesting see this review. Speeds are definitely faster.

As for dual stack, not too technical so unable to comment.

(edited)

Get Started

Get Started