mambopolice's profile

Esteemed Commentator

• 

5 Messages

Sun, Mar 27, 2016 8:00 AM

How to setup dlink 868 to connect to existing 865 router?

Hi,

I currently have a 865 router that is connected to the ONT. 

I also have a separate 868 router that I would like to use to extend the coverage in my house. I am planning to keep 865 as the primary router. 

Can someone advise how I should connect the 868 to the 865? What are the settings I have to change? I would like to connect my devices both wirelessly and via LAN cable to the 868.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

6年前

Hi Mambopolice, 

I hope you are IT savvy, as the below instructions can be quite technical and I suggest you to setup 868 with a laptop connected directly to it through LAN cable. Each (,) meant as next step.

On the 868, (assuming you have logged in to the admin page), click on the "SETUP" panel (top of page), click on "INTERNET" (left panel), click on 'Manual Internet Connection Setup' on the main page, look for "Bridge Mode" section on the main page or a dropdown selection box stating 'Wireless Router", click on the dropdown selection box and select 'Wireless Repeater Extender' and select 'Dynamic IP (DHCP)' under "My Internet Connection is" selection. Click 'Save Settings' (NOTE: I'm not certain if 868 will restart or not, if it does, the new IP add will be 192.168.0.150 and you will need to be in the admin page of 868 in order to continue.)
After which click on "WIRELESS SETTINGS" on the left panel, click on 'Manual Wireless Connection Setup', under "Site Survey" click on 'Scan', a list of AP will be shown but select your 865 AP name that you want 868 to connect to, then scroll down the page to fill in all required info mimicking 865 wireless info. Once done, click 'Save Settings', if 868 doesn't restart, then click on "TOOLS" (top of page), click on "SYSTEM" on left panel, click on 'Reboot the Device' to reboot 868. After 868 comes back online, you can try surfing Internet through 868 to see if it works.

This procedure can be pretty technical, but hope it helps. Best of luck. I've managed to connect my 868 to existing 865 router and extended my wireless coverage for my home. Feel free to ask me if unsure or need assistance. 

Esteemed Commentator

• 

5 Messages

6年前

Thanks Joe. Gonna give it a try.

I'm planning to connect 868 to 865 via a Lan cable. So I should be connecting from 868's WAN port to one of 865's LAN port?

Esteemed Commentator

• 

5 Messages

6年前

I connected 868's wan port to 865's Lan port and followed your instructions. 

Everything is up and running now.

Thanks!

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

6年前

I'm not certain why u wld want to connect 868 to 865 via Lan cable when 868 is able to connect to 865 via ur wireless network, which is the 2nd portion of the instructions.

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

6年前

I thot u met with some connection error? Well, in any case, seems like u managed to resolve the issue. Congratulations and enjoy the extended coverage on ur wireless network!!

Esteemed Commentator

• 

5 Messages

6年前

@MeetJoeBlack wrote:
I thot u met with some connection error? Well, in any case, seems like u managed to resolve the issue. Congratulations and enjoy the extended coverage on ur wireless network!!

It was a strange error. After the 868 rebooted the first time round (after setting router to "wireless repeater extender"), my LAN connection between my laptop and 868 somehow failed. Was not able to access the 868 because the LAN cable or laptop's ethernet port seems to have suddenly died.

Then I rebooted my laptop and tried a different LAN cable and then everything worked again. When everything had been properly set up, this first LAN cable worked again. Very strange but who cares since everything is working now! 

Thanks again!

Esteemed Commentator

• 

5 Messages

6年前

@MeetJoeBlack wrote:
I'm not certain why u wld want to connect 868 to 865 via Lan cable when 868 is able to connect to 865 via ur wireless network, which is the 2nd portion of the instructions.

Hmm.. so that the connection will be faster if both routers are connected via LAN cable?

Get Started

Get Started