Syasya_Fontana's profile

Senior Commentator

• 

15 Messages

• 

3 Points

Wed, Apr 7, 2021 4:44 AM

Sotong Masak Hitam (Squid with Ink Gravy)

Some said that this dish originated from Indonesia, while some said it originated from the Philippines through Jesuit missionaries who travelled to Asia during the 17th Century.
Honestly, it does not matter the origin of this dish because at the end of the day, it's going into your mouth and travel all the wait into the belly. A full belly is a happy belly!
But before that, I would like to give a shoutout to an old friend; Aimi, who shared this recipe with me. You can check her startup on IG: beeauty_home. I've tried three different recipes and this is hands down the best! Let's get started!

Ingredients:
1kg squid- clean, deboned, carefully removed & set the ink aside. 
*2 medium sized red onions
*4 cloves garlic
*1/2" ginger
*1/2"  fresh turmeric
*3 candlenuts - halved
*Belacan/Shrimp Paste (get the block or round type)- wrap in foil and burn it over the stove till slightly charred or like i did was to pop it into the the air fryer on 180 for 15mins. THIS WILL STINK UP YOUR KITCHEN/HOUSE  but there is always the air fresheners/scented candles!​​​​​​​
1 stalk lemongrass (halved & lightly bruised)
1 tamarind slice (a.k.a asam keping)
4 lime leaves 
*4 bird eye chilies
*4 green
chilies 

Steps:

• Fry the squids over high heat till half cook, toss and set aside
  • Blend all * ingredients 
  • Heat few tablespoons of oil.
  • Sauté the lemongrass, tamarind slice & 2 lime leaves till fragrant over low heat
  • Put in blended paste and fry over medium to high heat. When the oil surfaces to the top and bubbles, your paste is cooked.
  • Add in squid ink and stir around until incorporated with the paste
  • Add in salt, sugar (MSG if you want to)
  • Add in the half fried squids.
    **At this stage, you may choose to add in water bit by bit if the dish is too dry. Adjust taste to your liking, throw in remaining lime leaves, stir fry till cooked!

And voila you are done!

Responses

Carla_P

• 

5.2K Messages

• 

3K Points

6 m ago

Thanks for sharing this recipe, @Syasya_Fontana. Now I might want to try to cook this recipe myself. 

Get Started

Get Started