Hubbernauts

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

Thu, Oct 8, 2020 12:22 AM

Tea

This was inspired by @Carla_P article on Frappes :-).

Origins:

Tea (C. sinensis var. sinensis) is believed to have originated in Southern China. All tea varieties today are hybrids of this. Southern China is still a major tea producer today. Other major tea producing nations include Sri Lanka, India, Kenya and Indonesia.

Da Hong Pao:

One of the most expensive teas is Da Hong Pao. During the cultural revolution, it was reserved for Chairman Mao and VIPs. Even today, Da Hong Pao remains a prized commodity. Interestingly, Coca Cola has a brand Authentic Tea House, which includes Da Hong Pao as a product. Personally enjoy this with ice and it is great on a hot day. To be fair, really do not think this is the real McCoy, since Da Hong Pao starts from USD 1,400 a gram! Then again, there have been clones of the original plant and perhaps this is where Authentic Tea House gets their Da Hong Pao. A close second is Pokka's Oolong tea.

In general, there are a few categories of teas:

1. Green - This is unoxidized. Examples include Japanese Green tea which has been steamed to stop oxidization and then dried. This is why there is a "raw" taste.
  2. Oolong - Partially oxidized. In general, the tea leaves are harvested and then pan fried in a hot wok. This creates the black and shriveled look. There is a mature taste that leaves a sweet after taste in the throat. Note that this only applies to better grades of Oolong.
  3. Fermented - Examples include Pu-erh (which comes in the form of a cake) and most western black teas. Tea leaves are harvested, exposed to moisture and allowed to ferment. The tea leaves then baked to stop the fermentation process.
  4. Flavoured - There is a huge variety. Examples includes Jasmine, Earl Grey, Blackcurrant, Mango etc. In general, black tea is combined with flavours. Example Earl Grey is the oil of Begonia combined with black tea.

Tea Blends:

These are examples of tea blends include:

1. Yorkshire
  2. Clippers
  3. Twinning's
  4. Lipton

Yorkshire Tea 80 Count(Pack of 5): Amazon.ca: GroceryWhere to Buy - Make Your Cuppa Fairtrade & Organic - Clipper TeasBlack Tea | Lipton

Personal favourite Yorkshire tea. Branded teas will have a master batch which is considered the standard the brand wants to be associated with. They will then source teas from all over the world and blend it to get it as close as possible to the master batch. This is why branded teas are generally quite consistent in terms of taste. From personal experience, variations in taste is mainly down to improper storage. In general, tea should be stored in air tight metal containers, away from strong smells such as coffee and other spices. Now you know why good tea brands use metal containers.

Vertical brands:

Vertical brands basically means ownership of the tea plantations, production and sales. There are very few vertical brands left today. One of the better known ones in our region is BOH. They still maintain tea plantations in Cameron Highlands. It is worth a visit to the Sungei Palas plantation. They still maintain schools for plantation worker children and clinics. Understand this is standard for Indian tea plantations. Personally like BOH Cameronian tea leaves that is sold in metal containers. Sadly, these are only available in Malaysia from Aeon Supermarket for around MYR10. In Singapore, they only have tea bags. Another better known brand Dilmah.

BOH Loose Leaf Cameronian Gold Blend Black Tea, 5.3 oz

Health Benefits:

Tea has anti oxidants, lower caffeine and zero calories (this assumes no milk and sugar added).

Singapore tea shops:

Singapore has a rich heritage of tea which ranges from boutique tea shops such as TWG to teh tarik stores. In addition, each race such as Indians, Chinese and Malay have their own variant of tea. The good tea shops make them own blend of tea. These are closely guarded secrets. According to my favourite tea stall owner, he uses a mix of Sri Lankan and Indian teas. Here are personal favourites:

Indian - Syed Mohamed Drinks, Amoy Food Centre #01-67, MON to FRI 0600 to 2000 hrs, SAT 0600 hrs to 1800 hrs, SUN Closed

Chinese - Tong Ah Eating House, 35 Keong Saik Road, 0700 to 2200 hrs daily

How to make your own tea

This is the result of much experimentation:

1. Boil water from the tap (this is important). Do not use water that has been boiled
  2. After boiling, allow it to settle i.e. stop bubbling
  3. Two tea spoons of Cameronian tea leaves (Lipton will also do nicely) in a mug
  4. If desired, add sugar e.g. two tea spoons
  5. Pour in the hot water
  6. Allow brewing for 10 minutes
  7. If desired, add three tablespoons of full cream milk e.g. Fern Leaf or Nestle
  8. Stir and allow the tea to settle
  9. Enjoy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Carla_P

• 

5.8K Messages

• 

3.5K Points

1 y ago

This is such a good read, @Paladin. For me, I usually have green tea either from Twinnings and Lipton. But nowadays, I have been craving a lot of milk tea lol (Hello diabetes 😂) 

Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

@Carla_P glad you enjoyed the read. I'm assuming you are referring to bubble tea? As you rightly mentioned, caution is advised. BTW do you have a preferred store and flavour?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Carla_P

• 

5.8K Messages

• 

3.5K Points

Yeah, bubble tea. I don't have a preferred store but I usually get the Brown Sugar Milk Tea. (Too much sugar)

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!
Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

@Carla_P apparently, there is little difference between brown and white sugar i.e. both equally bad :-(. However brown sugar has better taste. If you like milk tea, make your own with full cream milk powder. Then add a little sugar.

Carla_P

• 

5.8K Messages

• 

3.5K Points

Yeah both of them aren't good for the health if you consume too much 😂. I don't usually make my own milk tea but I heard too that it's better to make your own. 

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!
Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

@Carla_P try my recipe and let me know :-). As mentioned, Lipton works too.

Jolene_L

Community Relationship Manager

• 

1.1K Messages

• 

82 Points

1 y ago

Thanks for sharing the art of making tea, @Paladin 

What stood out to me was that you have to boil the water, and not use water that has been boiled. Interesting. Usually we'd just get water that has been boiled, especially if you have a water dispenser at home. 

I'm a coffee drinker myself, favourite coffee joint is none other than Ya Kun!  

But yes, i crave for bubble tea too! My current favourite is Playmade's brown rice sencha tea! usually go for 0% sugar to lower the sugar (& guilt) content 🤪

Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

Most welcome @Jolene_L 

According to what I've read, there's a scientific reason for using tap water (ideally spring water). They are well aerated. Boiled water is likely to be flat, since the dissolved gasses have evaporated. This is why you must NOT use cooled boiled water for fish tanks. They will suffocate. Allowing the water to settle after boiling also ensures that the temperature is not too high. Good quality tea needs only about 70 degrees Celsius to brew. Lower grade tea will require higher temperature.

If you like milk tea, try my recipe and let me know whether the taste works for you. You can even leave the tea to brew for 20 mins with no adverse taste effects :-). Best part is regulating the sugar. If you have access to gula melaka, try adding a piece for better taste :-). I use this in place of white sugar.

(edited)

Jolene_L

Community Relationship Manager

• 

1.1K Messages

• 

82 Points

1 y ago

So I was inspired by @Paladin and made tea! 

I stood at the shelves at NTUC - really couldn't find any BOH Gold Blend anywhere, (not even on Lazada/redmart) and the closest thing that caught my eye was Twinings' Earl Grey because my husband and I both drink Earl Grey. And I bought teabags instead because there weren't much choices left. 

So, I really boiled the water over the stove, (photo proof below 😂) 

and poured them into the 2 cups after adding the teabag and brown sugar for my husband. Mine is earl Grey kosong! 

It's really fragrant and adding brown sugar really adds an extra oomph to the tea. 

Boiling water over the stove to make tea and adding brown sugar is really a first for me and I think I'm going to stick to this method! 

Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

@Jolene_L  nice! In general, with good tea brands, you really do not need to have the water too hot. A kettle with tap water will do nicely. After boiling just let the water settle before pouring into a mug. Mugs are better as they will keep warm better compared tea cups. Since you enjoy tea kosong, consider Twinings Lapsang Souchou

Since your husband likes tea with sugar, consider Dilmahs Blackcurrant

(edited)

Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

@Jolene_L since you seem to like flavoured tea, try Lipton/Boh tea and then add Pandan leaf. It really perks up the tea :-). Just add the tea leave and cut up the Pandan leaf then brew.

(edited)

Get Started

Get Started