Hubbernauts

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

Mon, Sep 20, 2021 12:26 AM

One Thing You Can Do for Better Health - Part 2

This Covid 19 era has been a roller coaster! Just when we thought life would get back to normal, think back to the period when infections were zero for sometime and now to over 1,000. It will end so hang in there. In the mean time, seize on the opportunities. Work from home (WFH) presents an opportunity to improve one's health. We are all busy so this is an easy to do suggestion.

Restricted Time Eating

In summary, limit eating window to say 10 hours a day, In effect this translates into a daily 14 hour fast. This is what I've done so far. Have dinner at 1700 hrs. Then stop eating until breakfast at 0730 hrs. To make this easier, goto bed at say 2100 hrs and then target to wake up 0600 hrs and go for an early morning brisk walk. In my case it is 60 mins and clocks up my targetted 10,000 steps. Then breakfast at 0730 hrs.

Benefits

• Relatively easy to do
  • Maintain regular i.e. essentially eat what you want during the window. For better results have a healthy diet*
  • Studies have shown that this helps those at risk of diabetes to reduce their risk
  • Weight loss
  • Lower blood triglycerides
  • Alertness
  • General well being

*Healthy diets generally entails reduction/ eliminating sugar, reducing carbohydrates intake. Eat more vegetables, eggs, fish.

Studies have also shown that there are greater benefits if this window is reduced to 6 hours. Have not tried this. Here's how it could work. Skip breakfast. Have lunch at say 1200 hrs. Then dinner at 1800 hrs. This translates into an 18 hour fast.

During the fast, it is ok to drink water, tea or coffee (without milk or sugar).

Exercise Snacking

Pressed for time? Try exercise snacking! As the name suggests, do short more short bursts of moderate exercise during the day. Examples include walking up stairs, short sprints, squats, pushup etc. Target a total of 30 minutes each day. Studies have shown there are health benefits no matter the length. So get started towards a healthier lifestyle.

In the mean time, stay safe, avoid crowds and make this season count.

Here's Part 1 if interested 

References:

https://pca.st/9gnpbee0

https://pca.st/cgi7mteq

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.3K Points

1 m ago

Thanks for sharing this, @Paladin. I do agree that this pandemic has definitely changed our daily lives. Can't wait to get back to the times where wearing a face mask isn't mandatory anymore. 

Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

@Carla_P hm ... there are a few ways to react to the situation.

1. Hope that things return to normal and be unhappy
  2. Take the opportunity to do something positive

Take your pick :-)

Personally of the view that masks will be with us for a lot longer than expected. Likewise, the old way of life will take longer than we expect (if ever). This means we must learn to live with this new normal. Just my 2 cents :-)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Carla_P

• 

5.5K Messages

• 

3.3K Points

Yeah, I've read that COVID is endemic. We just have to learn how to live with it. 

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!
Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

@Carla_P agreed. Will be better to make the most of any situation and not mawkish pining over the past. The latter can create unhappiness and is harmful to mental health :-(

(edited)

Get Started

Get Started