Hubbernauts

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

Sun, Nov 1, 2020 11:48 PM

Musings on Customer Service

Been reading some negative customer service experiences and this got me thinking about possible reasons for the negative experiences.

1. Evolution and increasing complexity - Been a StarHub customer since the SCV days and then a mobile customer when StarHub launched their mobile network. Keenly remember the excitement of having free incoming calls and most of all choice! In the early days, there were Hubber events held at the Science Centre where Sue the T-Rex was exhibited. Then another event at the Zoo in conjunction with Animal Planet. Even my children remember those events. How time flies! Have watched how products and services evolved. Evolution has been gradual but in recent years the changes are more pronounced. Perhaps it is because of the rapidly evolving tech sphere and lifestyle changes. Cable TV, Land lines, SMS usage is falling. However, there is increasing demand/ challenges from the likes of Netflix and even YouTube. To StarHub's credit, they have introduced interesting products such as Android TV. The Hubbernauts and Green Community is a customer outreach effort to better understand and meet customer needs. This is to be applauded. Naturally, new products/ services creates confusion/ misunderstanding even for StarHub staff/ customer service etc. Not saying this is acceptable but can understand if the message is not correctly conveyed to customers i.e. sales, customer service, tech, partners may say different things. Certainly experienced this first hand when forced to migrate from cable internet to fibre. The messaging was different and there was handover issues with service disruption. In my case, loss of land line service. This caused anxiety for my elderly parents who contact us via land line. After multiple escalations, this was resolved.
  2. Structural - When cases are handed over between departments, it is possible for the ball to be dropped. Could this be done better? Sure. Maybe case notes could be done properly before handing over to another department. There needs to be a close loop to ensure the case is resolved promptly. This will help with customer satisfaction with speedy resolution of the issue.
  3. Respect and courtesy - Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and courtesy. Think of it this way. I'm certain no one goes to work with the intention of ruining someone's day. It is important to bear in mind that although the long suffering souls at the StarHub contact centre are company representatives, they did NOT create/ cause the issue. By venting/ abusing them, do you think they will be willing to go the extra mile? From personal experience, being respectful and clear about your request will go along way. Staff will generally go the extra mile when treated with respect and consideration. There is no need to make spurious allegations as this will not resolve the issue.
  4. Training/ processes - One of the best customer services I've experienced is from DBS and DiGi. After listening to the issue, the customer service representative will repeat back what they heard e.g. Sir/ Madam is the purpose of your call today regarding the Oct 2020 bills, item X? This offers the customer an opportunity to confirm/ clarify. In the case of DiGi, there is a call back within 24 hours to check on whether the issue is resolved!
  5. Compliments/ Kudos - When the issue is resolved, it is important to give compliments and kudos. After all, we are dealing with humans. These will motivate them to better efforts. Imagine being faced with a constant barrage of complaints with no acknowledgements of efforts! Will this motivate better efforts? Compliments/ Kudos can be done via Green Community, Facebook, Straits Times forums or even the StarHub feedback page. Personally believe great customer service is a two way street. This means both companies and customers make the effort to make things better for all. This creates a virtuous cycle where products/ services improve.

Just my 2 cents.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Carla_P

• 

5.8K Messages

• 

3.5K Points

1 y ago

Hi @Paladin, thanks for sharing your thoughts here in the Community. We'd also like to thank you for being our valued customer. We are grateful for the pleasure of serving you and hope we met your expectations.

Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

@Carla_P most welcome :-)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Jolene_L

Community Relationship Manager

• 

1.1K Messages

• 

82 Points

1 y ago

I second @Carla_P 

@Paladin Thank you for sharing your views and thank you for your support for us.

We're all ears when it comes to feedback and will continue to improve our services and products. 

Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

202 Messages

• 

103 Points

@Jolene_L most welcome. Personal philosophy is to give credit when due. 

Get Started

Get Started