Skip to main content
Paladin

Honored Advisor

• 

97 Messages

Wed, Sep 16, 2020 3:06 AM

Improving Handwriting

Covid 19 is a timely reset. It has provided opportunities for self improvement.

Have you always wanted to improve your handwriting? It is possible with 10 minutes of practice each day for a fortnight. See a sample of what's possible.

In essence, there are "families of letters. They share the main strokes. The main ones such as the "a" and "l" families are highlighted above. Naturally, there are overlaps. Examples include "d" which is a combination of the "a" and "l" strokes. "h" which combines "n" with "l". The other families are:

"n" - m, n

"u" - u, y

"v" - v, w

Note that the sample above is something that I've adapted from various model scripts. However, it is essentially a Chancery Italic script. Here are some specimens.

ITC Zapf Chancery Italic

Calligraphy (Chancery Italic Hand) : 5 Steps - Instructables

Some useful tips:

1. Three Line notebook - These are available from Bras Basah bookshops. Bought mine for SGD 0.80
  2. Writing instrument - I'm using a fountain pen. However, it works just fine with a pencil. Recommend at least 2B
  3. Tilt - Left handers should consider tilting the notebook slightly clockwise (approx 2 O'Clock). Right hander anti clockwise (approx 10 O'Clock)
  4. Grip - Grip the writing instrument with the index finger and thumb and allow it to rest on the middle finger. Do not grip the writing instrument too hard. After writing for a while, tap the instrument with the index finger. This helps relax the hand
  5. The push - This will sound odd but well worth the effort. Many would write with their hand. This means that the small movements are done by the hand. It is no wonder that ones hand get tired after a while. A better way is to use your entire arm and move using your shoulder. To be fair, this will feel unnatural at first. To overcome this, start writing big letters. Then gradually reduce the size. The major advantages are less fatigue and one will develop the ability to write on a white board in the same neat script!
  6. Persevere - Do not become discouraged. Keep working at it. You will be amazed at what's possible

Post your handiwork to encourage others. What are your waiting for? :-P

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Responses

Jolene_L

Community Relationship Manager

• 

984 Messages

4 days ago

@Paladin apologies, I had to move your article and change it into a discussion. Ideas is really for members to post ideas about StarHub's products and service but really interesting to learn about the families of letters. How long have you been practising calligraphy? 

(edited)

-Jolene 

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.

For urgent matters regarding the safety of our members or the security of the platform, please email us at community@starhub.com.

Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

Paladin

Honored Advisor

• 

97 Messages

@Jolene_L no problem. Apologies for the hassle. Been practicing for a month. However as mentioned, results started to show after about a week. Told @Carla_P  that I am unable to post as Article since it does not allow me to select topics.

(edited)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Jolene_L

Community Relationship Manager

• 

984 Messages

@Paladin Sorry for the inconvenience! We're working to fix the problem, I'll let you know once the option is available. Thanks! 

-Jolene 

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.

For urgent matters regarding the safety of our members or the security of the platform, please email us at community@starhub.com.

Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

Paladin

Honored Advisor

• 

97 Messages

No problem @Jolene_L .Many thanks.

Get Started

Get Started