Hubbernauts

Hubbernauts

• 

207 Messages

• 

108 Points

Fri, Sep 18, 2020 2:40 AM

How to start using fountain pens

Covid 19 has provided an opportunity to do things differently. With our planet in trouble i.e. climate change, pollution of the oceans, environment etc, we can all play our part to reduce waste. One way is to use fountain pens. This will reduce one's footprint in terms of throw away pens which may end up in the ocean if not disposed of correctly.

Here's a suggested fountain pen to consider. The Pelikano Up! Note: I do not sell Pelikan pens/ products, just a satisfied user.

This is the Anthracite version

Pelikan Pelikano Up ® Fountain pen Anthracite, nib: M: Amazon.co.uk: Office  Products

This is the Champagne version.

Pelikan Pelikano Up Fountain Pen - Champagne - Medium – Pen Boutique Ltd

There are also left hand variants. Pelikanos are targeted at students. This means they are robust and relatively cost effective.

Consider using an ink converters. This allows the pen to to refilled using bottled ink. Here's a selection of ink. Recommend Pelikan ink as it is considered well behaved and fountain pen friendly. This means that it is unlikely to clog unless repeatedly left to dry out in the pen.

USD 11.70] Bailin Pelikan 4001 pen ink 62.5ml each. - Wholesale from China  online shopping | Buy asian products online from the best shoping agent -  ChinaHao.com

Personal favourite Turquoise! Note that for some banks do not like it if you choose to use colours other that black or blue black. Perhaps it is due to difficulty in scanning cheques.

Estimated cost:

Pelikano Up - SGD 40

Pelikan 4001 ink - SGD 5

A bottle of ink will easily last 5 years. To be fair, this will vary based on usage. In my case, it is mainly cheque signing, note taking and of course more recently calligraphy.

Benefits of fountain pens:

1. Pleasure of writing - Fountain pens are a joy to write with. I'm left handed and this can pose problems since writing convention is left to right. However with some practice and adapting, it is possible to manage this. In essence, write in small blocks. When using a notebook with spines, start from the back and then invert the page to avoid the spine. An alternative is to write on the left page and then flip the notebook to write on the right page. That way it is always on the left.
  2. Memory - Writing helps with memory i.e. better retention.
  3. Classy and special - Fountain pens are classy! Makes one look cool and standout. In this day and age of email and printed letters. There is something special when receiving a handwritten note or card.
  4. Cost - Sure the economics of fountain pens will not add up. However, it can be argued that the current economic model is broken. There is zero cost for generating waste associated with the disposable culture! Classic market failure! We are all now witnessing the tragic effects on wildlife in the ocean!

Fountain pen tips to ensure a good experience:

1. Post the cap - This means that the cap is attached to the back of the fountain pen. Why? Helps with balance and more importantly, it minimizes pen rolling off the table.
  2. Nib care - It is important not to drop the pen. This could damage the nib if it is not capped. Once damaged, the nib will need to be replaced which may not make sense for Pelikanos given their relatively low cost. To be fair, since the nibs are made of steel, they should be fairly robust. However it is best to avoid drops. When not in use, replace the pen cap. This also helps prevent the pen from drying out. In the event of a hard start i.e. pen refuses to write, DO NOT press down hard on the nib. This will cause the nib to separate and cause more ink to flow out. Over time, the ink will increasingly get heavier and it will be easy to cause smudges. A better way is to hold the fountain pen capped with the nib facing down for a while and then try again. If there are still hard starts, the nib will need to be cleaned.
  3. Regular use - Use the pen regularly and avoid leaving the ink to dry out completely. If you wish to store the pen, consider draining the pen back into the ink bottle.
  4. Keep upright - Fountain pens should be kept upright when being carried in pockets/ bags. This helps avoid the potential ink mess when you decide to use the pen. If at home, they can be kept either upright or lying flat on a table.
  5. Refilling - Consider using an ink converter. When refilling, gently wind the plunger all the way down before inserting the entire nib into the ink bottle. Then gently wind the plunger up. Once this is done, gently winder the plunger down slightly to allow two drops of ink back into the bottle. Then wind the plunger back up. This helps prevent a potential ink surge when one first starts to write. Gently wipe the up the excess ink using tissue paper. Avoid wiping the nib or feed since fountain pens work on capillary action and ink will be drawn out by the tissue paper.

Welcome to a better and more enjoyable and sustainable way of writing :-).

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Carla_P

• 

6.1K Messages

• 

3.8K Points

1年前

Thanks for sharing this @Paladin. I wonder if someone like me who has poor penmanship will be able to help improve my penmanship using this. I tried calligraphy too but I suck at it. LOL 

Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

207 Messages

• 

108 Points

@Carla_P I'm sure you can do it. It is harder for left handers since the world is made for right handers. As mentioned in my other post, just 10 mins a day for two weeks will produce results. Maybe start with a Staedtler 2B Jumbo pencil? Then move to a fountain pen when you have made improvement. This is what they look like. Why? the triangle shape will help with getting the correct grip.STAEDTLER children's pencil 119N HB|2B thick rod triangle pencil easy to  cut easy to roll wood pencils 12pcs/lot| | - AliExpress

(edited)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Carla_P

• 

6.1K Messages

• 

3.8K Points

Oh I'm a right hand I guess this is an advantage 🤣 I'll try to practise, but maybe I'll start with a regular pencil first since I'm still a noob and will be testing the waters eh. 

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!
Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

207 Messages

• 

108 Points

That's great @Carla_P. Suggest the following as per my other post:

1. Master the various families e.g. "a", "l", "n". In essence the strokes.
  2. Practice putting the different families together using the strokes. You will develop your own form.
  3. Remember to use the correct pen grip and use your shoulder to push.
  4. Since you are right handed (yes it is an advantage), tilt the paper 10 O'Clock.
  5. Using a pencil is also good since you will be able to vary the pressure for the strokes. The pencil need no be sharp since you should start writing "big".

Remember to post your handiwork to encourage others :-)

(edited)

Carla_P

• 

6.1K Messages

• 

3.8K Points

Thanks for your tips, @Paladin. I'll have to master first how to do calligraphy before I share it here though. 😂😅

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!
Paladin

Hubbernauts

• 

207 Messages

• 

108 Points

@Carla_P I'm certain that after two weeks of consistent practice, you will be pleased with handiwork. The key is practice practice practice. Remember Rome was not built in a day! Added benefit is that your handwriting will be legible :-). Mine was quite neat before calligraphy but people had trouble reading it :-p

Get Started

Get Started