3 Day Fast
Caution: Do not attempt this if you have health issues.
Completed a 3 day fast. Started on Friday 0900 hrs after breakfast and ended MON 0900 hrs. Total fast 72 hrs.
- Day 1 (FRI) - This was ok since already doing 18 hrs daily 18/6 routine
- Day 2 (SAT) - Went for regular brisk morning walk. No issues until the afternoon. Started to feel really hungry. However, this fades over time. Experienced abit of headache and experienced fatigue. Believe this is more psychological instead of physiological
- Day 3 (SUN) - The regular morning walk was a struggle initially. Noticed reduction in walking speed from 9.2KM/H to 8.5KM/H. Experienced flu-like symptoms such as headache, body ache and fatigue. Understand this is "keto flu". A sign of the body adapting as it switches to fat as fuel source. By evening, the worse was over. There were even moments of energy bursts! Felt much better
- Day 4 (MON) - The regular morning walk was normal albeit with reduced walking speed. Broke fast with regular fruit juice
- Reset - It is clear that the body has had an insulin reset. Feeling less intense hunger
- Alert - Feeling more alert
- Appetite - Since hunger is less intense, not eating as much and no cravings for snacks
- Taste - Food tastes so good :-)
- Gradual buildup - Much of the "pain" could have been prevented with gradual buildup e.g. Start with 24 hr fast, then 36, 48, 60 and 72 hrs. No need to be too gungho and just right in
- Hydration - Drink plenty of water
- Persevere - Hunger is not constant and will pass. Drinking warm water slowly helps
- Exercise - This helps. However, it is important to do light exercises. Walking is good. Note that there may be reduction in performance. This is normal. Do not over exert. This sounds contrarian but exercise alleviates hunger as it forces the body to use fat as fuel source. When this happens, hunger dissipates
- Rest - When experiencing "keto flu", listen to your body and rest
- Blessings - So blessed to live in a society where food is plentiful and one can choose to fast instead of being forced to starve
Would I do this again? YES! Believe it will be easier next time round. Will plan for another one in 3 months. In the mean time, will press on with the 18/6 regime.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke